British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Dilemma with two options? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/dilemma-two-options-719943/)

Syedney Jun 7th 2011 12:38 pm

Dilemma with two options?

Evening all!

Just wanted to get some opinions and views on the following quandary I am contemplating right now:

My British passport has expired and I am about to go back to UK. Do I:

1. Get an emergency travel document and once in UK, sort it out there (Cheaper there than here in Sydney, Australia)

2. Pay loads and get it sorted here and hope that all being well, I'll have my new shiny passport in time for the flight in few days :eek:

If I take the 1st option, what have I need to watch out for? (I am guessing that some countries do no allow travellers with no valid passports???)

My itenary includes Thailand and Malaysia.

My thanks for your replies! :thumbsup:

Dashie Jun 7th 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Dilemma with two options?

You need a passport and any applicable visas before they will let you board the plane - do you have another passport, or just UK?

Pollyana Jun 7th 2011 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 9416196)
Evening all!

Just wanted to get some opinions and views on the following quandary I am contemplating right now:

My British passport has expired and I am about to go back to UK. Do I:

1. Get an emergency travel document and once in UK, sort it out there (Cheaper there than here in Sydney, Australia)

2. Pay loads and get it sorted here and hope that all being well, I'll have my new shiny passport in time for the flight in few days :eek:

If I take the 1st option, what have I need to watch out for? (I am guessing that some countries do no allow travellers with no valid passports???)

My itenary includes Thailand and Malaysia.

My thanks for your replies! :thumbsup:

They'll only give you an emergency travel document if its an emergency and you haven't had time to get a passport renewed.
When you say your itinerary includes thailand and Malaysia are you just transitting (couple of hours between flights) or doing stopovers. Because if you do end up on an emergency travel doc you may have problems entering those countries. It would probably be accepted by the airline at check-in for through travel but not for stopovers.

Syedney Jun 8th 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9416757)
They'll only give you an emergency travel document if its an emergency and you haven't had time to get a passport renewed.
When you say your itinerary includes thailand and Malaysia are you just transitting (couple of hours between flights) or doing stopovers. Because if you do end up on an emergency travel doc you may have problems entering those countries. It would probably be accepted by the airline at check-in for through travel but not for stopovers.

Thanks Polly!:thumbup:

I agree with you and just getting the confirmation that it is better to get the passport sorted out now is reassuring and me off to doing that now!

Cheers all!