DH applying for Citizenship

Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:46 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default DH applying for Citizenship

The final stage is upon us...DH will be applying for his citizenship soon. We hit three years residency last December. I'll post on our progress in this thread for anyone who is headed toward similar activities.

Our application package will have the following:
  • Form N-400
  • Two passport photographs
  • Front/back photocopies of his green card
  • Front/back copies of his driver's license (for state identification)
  • Check for fee, $680 currently
  • Copy of my (USC) birth certificate
  • Copy of our marriage certificate

He doesn't need to include a copy of his passport, right? Just bring it to the interview? Or should we include a copy anyway?

Here's what we're sending in for proof of living together:
  • IRS tax transcripts for 2010, 2011, and 2012 (joint filing)
  • Copy of the apartment lease we had when we first arrived
  • Copy of our son's birth certificate
  • Ideally a copy of our house purchase papers, I just need to find it

He's got a printout of the 100 questions for studying. He's nervous, but he really already knows most of the answers, and it'll be easier than the Life in the UK test I had to take! Looks like the current wait for interview is about five months, and I think we'll need to go to Portland for it.

Are the biometrics taken at the Portland field office too, or can those be done closer to home and mailed in to USCIS?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DH applying for Citizenship

Originally Posted by avanutria
Are the biometrics taken at the Portland field office too, or can those be done closer to home and mailed in to USCIS?
Biometrics are usually taken at the closest ASC. If that's Portland, that's where you go. If it's someplace closer, then that's where you go. For me, the closest ASC happened to be in a different state... and that's where I went.

Ian
Old Apr 30th 2013, 4:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't need to include a copy of his passport, right? Just bring it to the interview? Or should we include a copy anyway?
What do the N-400 instructions ask for?

Biometrics are usually done at an ASC location, which is not the main USCIS building. The biometrics appointment letter will have the address of the nearest ASC location to you, based on your zip code.

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:05 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I knew someone would say that, lol. Thanks for the reminder to check the document checklist in the back of the M-476 Guide to Naturalization. No mention of applicant passport there at all.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:07 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Biometrics are done at USCIS Application Support Centers (ASCs). Some ASCs are co-located with field offices, some are stand-alone. Either way, you do not mail anything in - you go there and have your photo and fingerprints taken.

Regards, JEff

Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:08 pm

Oh, and I remember now a question that I had, though I am reasonably sure I know the answer. Although the questions on the N-400 refer to "trips in the past five years" etc, we just answer them in terms of the last three years since we are applying through marriage, right?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Biometrics are done at USCIS Application Support Centers (ASCs). Some ASCs are co-located with field offices, some are stand-alone. Either way, you do not mail anything in - you go there and have your photo and fingerprints taken.

Regards, JEff
Ah, thanks. Found the locator function of the website and it looks like we will indeed be going to Portland for it. I'll give DH the choice of going alone or having me and the baby come along for the day trip.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Note that Rene did not remind you to check the M-476 document checklist, she reminded you to check the application instructions. Although, checking both is an even better idea.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks for the reminder to check the document checklist in the back of the M-476 Guide to Naturalization.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and I remember now a question that I had, though I am reasonably sure I know the answer. Although the questions on the N-400 refer to "trips in the past five years" etc, we just answer them in terms of the last three years since we are applying through marriage, right?
That's correct. I actually crossed out all the references to 5, and wrote 3, just to make it extra clear. LOL

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Note that Rene did not remind you to check the M-476 document checklist, she reminded you to check the application instructions. Although, checking both is an even better idea.

Regards, JEff
I did check the application (N-400) instructions and it told me to check the Guide to Citizenship
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

He's got a printout of the 100 questions for studying. He's nervous, but he really already knows most of the answers, and it'll be easier than the Life in the UK test I had to take!
Hopefully he only printed them off the USCIS website, I saw some apps and websites that seem to have odd questions and more importantly odd answers. You generally get given a copy of the current list of questions and answers at the biometric appointment. I don't know if they change often but some answers will change based on elections, location etc.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Hopefully he only printed them off the USCIS website, I saw some apps and websites that seem to have odd questions and more importantly odd answers. You generally get given a copy of the current list of questions and answers at the biometric appointment. I don't know if they change often but some answers will change based on elections, location etc.
Yeah, I got them from USCIS and then added in the correct answers for our state representatives. Good to know that we get a copy at the biometrics too.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I am reasonably sure the biometrics are all done at the office in Portland. Not the main USCIS office in the Federal Building, but the ASC office about three blocks from Jeld-Wen Field.

Portland do same day and next day oath ceremonies. The morning interviews before 11am (think that time is right) they will offer you that afternoon if you are approved. Otherwise they will offer the next day. If still the same the oath ceremony is at 2pm at the Federal Building, where everything apart from the biometrics is done. You don't have to accept the ceremony they offer, you can schedule a date if more convenient.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
I am reasonably sure the biometrics are all done at the office in Portland. Not the main USCIS office in the Federal Building, but the ASC office about three blocks from Jeld-Wen Field.

Portland do same day and next day oath ceremonies. The morning interviews before 11am (think that time is right) they will offer you that afternoon if you are approved. Otherwise they will offer the next day. If still the same the oath ceremony is at 2pm at the Federal Building, where everything apart from the biometrics is done. You don't have to accept the ceremony they offer, you can schedule a date if more convenient.
Good to know, thanks! Maybe we will aim to have an overnight stay in Portland - either for a next day ceremony or for the night before a morning interview.
Old May 16th 2013, 9:43 pm

Timeline thus far. We mailed in the packet on May 4th. On May 13th DH got an email confirming receipt, and our check has been cashed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.