British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP ON 221G (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/desperate-need-help-221g-913496/)

Lisahart28 Jun 2nd 2018 8:55 am

IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP ON 221G

Dear all,

I have posted a couple of times on the matter about being in Administrative Processing and have been in the situation since March 8th 2018. It has been the most difficult time and nearly approaching the 3 month mark. For those who don't know my story I am a UK citizen with a British name, have no criminal convictions, only visited USA for the past 7 years, never traveled to suspicious countries or any other way in which a 221g is normally flagged.

I am on a Spouse E2 Visa and my husband (the principal applicant) has received his visa and is working in the States. I have been told it is best not to contact the embassy and have only contacted them to submit 15 years travel history, 15 years addresses, 15 years employment, passport numbers and names of siblings/previous spouses.

Is it best to leave the Embassy alone?
Will I ever get a response?
I have not had an update on CEAC, even after I spoke to them on the 30th April to ask to submit more detail on travel, to which they responded to do so and sent a second petition for a request.

I am wracking my brains as to why I am in this position and cannot come up with any conclusion and I worry more and more as each day goes by not knowing the outcome or the amount of time I will be subjected to.

Any light on the above would mean the absolute world to me.

All the best,
Lisa

Twinkle0927 Jun 2nd 2018 9:35 am

Re: IN DESPERATE NEED OF HELP ON 221G

Very strange. What field of work are you in? I read about someone who went through a lengthy 221(g) process because they work in nuclear science. Have you worked for the ministry of defence or been involved in special intelligence or something where you have had access to government secrets?

Lisahart28 Jun 2nd 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 (Post 12509457)
Very strange. What field of work are you in? I read about someone who went through a lengthy 221(g) process because they work in nuclear science. Have you worked for the ministry of defence or been involved in special intelligence or something where you have had access to government secrets?

I am a secondary School Science, PE and Dance teacher so am completely at a loss as to how I ended up in the process :(

civilservant Jun 2nd 2018 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 (Post 12509457)

I worked for the MOD, held a current active Top Secret Security Clearance, and it didn't hold me up one day during my CR1.

Lisahart28 Jun 2nd 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12509472)
I worked for the MOD, held a current active Top Secret Security Clearance, and it didn't hold me up one day during my CR1.

when did you apply for your visa?

Noorah101 Jun 2nd 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Lisahart28 (Post 12509443)
Is it best to leave the Embassy alone?

It makes no difference. You can contact them as much as you want, but you'll get the same answer each time. Even if they give you a time frame, it won't mean anything.

Will I ever get a response?
Yes, eventually.

I am wracking my brains as to why I am in this position and cannot come up with any conclusion...
Most likely your name matches that of someone on a watch list and they have to manually do research to verify you are not that person.

...and I worry more and more as each day goes by not knowing the outcome or the amount of time I will be subjected to.
Unfortunately there is just no way of knowing how long it will take. Since you can't control the process, its best not to worry.

Any light on the above would mean the absolute world to me.
No one here will be able to shed any more light than you already know.

Rene

Lisahart28 Jun 2nd 2018 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12509506)
It makes no difference. You can contact them as much as you want, but you'll get the same answer each time. Even if they give you a time frame, it won't mean anything.

Yes, eventually.

Most likely your name matches that of someone on a watch list and they have to manually do research to verify you are not that person.

Unfortunately there is just no way of knowing how long it will take. Since you can't control the process, its best not to worry.

No one here will be able to shed any more light than you already know.

Rene

Thank you for getting back to me on this Rene, you are always helpful with your advice and it is nice that someone cares to respond to matters that really affect peoples lives, you are a true credit to this Forum.

I hope it comes sooner rather than later as it is completely devastating at the moment and just want to get the email that means I can finally live my dream :( Hopefully the US Embassy in London will be able to sort out the matter in the coming weeks rather than months as 3 months has already seemed a lifetime.

All the best,

Lisa

kateinbrooklyn Jun 2nd 2018 2:02 pm

What does the immigration lawyer handling the visa say? There is one officer in London who exclusively handles E2 visas and the lawyer should have his/her email address. As Noorah said, your name probably matches somebody else and they are running extra checks.

Lisahart28 Jun 2nd 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn (Post 12509533)
What does the immigration lawyer handling the visa say? There is one officer in London who exclusively handles E2 visas and the lawyer should have his/her email address. As Noorah said, your name probably matches somebody else and they are running extra checks.

Our lawyer says not to contact the embassy, which is the most frustrating thing. They never mentioned an email address for the E2 officer, is there only one officer who deals with the E2 cases then?

thank you for any further help on the matter

lisa

S Folinsky Jun 2nd 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Lisahart28 (Post 12509541)

Our lawyer says not to contact the embassy, which is the most frustrating thing. They never mentioned an email address for the E2 officer, is there only one officer who deals with the E2 cases then?

thank you for any further help on the matter

lisa

Government officials are generally prohibited in communicating directly with represented officials. It is also confusing to them.

Also, OP's issue or issues are not the purview of the E-2 officer.

Twinkle0927 Jun 2nd 2018 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 12509472)

Thats good to hear. Obviously that was some time ago. Things change. And I was just thinking out loud throwing out some avenues of thought for the OP to consider. The fact that I read a thread where this happened to someone (recently) who worked in nuclear science suggests that it is a possibility.

retzie Jun 2nd 2018 7:17 pm

Wasn't there someone on BE once who underwent a lengthy, seemingly inexplicable AP, who eventually found out it was because their number was in the phone of someone who was one the watch list for being part of an organised crime racket? And the number was only there because they had been to high school together? :eek:

Which is to say, it could be anything. All you can do is try to go about your life as best you can. I would make short-term plans in the UK that can be easily abandoned. Something to keep up a bit of normalcy, so you don't feel like you are completely at the mercy of USCIS. You'll get there in the end :)

Lisahart28 Jun 2nd 2018 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 12509633)
Wasn't there someone on BE once who underwent a lengthy, seemingly inexplicable AP, who eventually found out it was because their number was in the phone of someone who was one the watch list for being part of an organised crime racket? And the number was only there because they had been to high school together? :eek:

Which is to say, it could be anything. All you can do is try to go about your life as best you can. I would make short-term plans in the UK that can be easily abandoned. Something to keep up a bit of normalcy, so you don't feel like you are completely at the mercy of USCIS. You'll get there in the end :)

Thank you very much for getting back to me on the matter, that does seem crazy indeed! I hope that my matter isn't too complicated and keeping my fingers crossed that I will get there in the end :)

S Folinsky Jun 2nd 2018 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by retzie (Post 12509633)

That was the father of one of my clients. By and by we received a denial on "reason to believe" he was engaged in drug trafficking. No details given but we surmised what happened.

shiversaint Jun 4th 2018 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn (Post 12509533)

Only one officer that handles E2 visas? I find that very doubtful and even more doubtful where it concerns a derivative E2. In fact, the AP status probably has basically nothing to do with it being an E2 visa. The E2 unit has an email address, but as Noorah has already said, emails out of it will give no further information. They deliberately do not reveal more information about Administrative Processing.