Desperate to live in USA-OT Split

Old Dec 13th 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Desperate to live in USA-OT Split

Mod note: Split from a thread in US immigration

Originally Posted by karl259
We have visited USA on a number of occasions and and travelled through a few states and like the lifestyle, culture ect. Also no country is total fun when you dont have a lot of money. But then life is what you make it, and although we all agree you need money it aint the b all and end all! I have been looking at Canada, may be a way in there but we are really seeking warmer climes. Desperate as in we love the USA and want out of blighty!
Warmer weather doesn't make a country great, just so you know. You won't have the same luxuries that you're used to here. Here we expect everyone to be able to take care of themselves with minimal help from the government, and we work loner hours and take fewer vacations, pretty much a North American tradition, because Canada doesn't have the same benefits as Europe does. Pretty much you won't be able to move here anytime soon, unless you go to university. Even then that's a very long stretch, as there's a really huge waiting line. In short, unless you have at least 6 figures in the bank, which we've established you don't, or an American wife, which you don't, you won't be able to live here for more than 90 days per year.

As for culture, well we don't have much of one to begin with....the UK is a more cultured place than the U.S. All we have are BBQs, racing, baseball, American football, and Hollywood.

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 19th 2009 at 4:23 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate to live in USA

Originally Posted by karl259
We have visited USA on a number of occasions and and travelled through a few states and like the lifestyle, culture ect. Also no country is total fun when you dont have a lot of money. But then life is what you make it, and although we all agree you need money it aint the b all and end all! I have been looking at Canada, may be a way in there but we are really seeking warmer climes. Desperate as in we love the USA and want out of blighty!
What about French Guiana?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
... you won't be able to live here for more than 90 days per year.
He won't be able to "live" here at all. He might be able to visit for 90 days, though! Also... it's not 90 days per year... it's 90 days per visit.

Ian
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:11 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
What about French Guiana?
or Haiti...

(Sorry, from what I know about both destinations, neither is very appealing to those accustomed to first-world facilities. Also I hear unemployment at French Guiana is between 20% and 30%) Maybe French Guiana an option if you work in the space industry ?
Old Dec 13th 2009, 11:12 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I went on holiday to Torquay in 1976 and that was nice. Might want to try there.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
or Haiti...

(Sorry, from what I know about both destinations, neither is very appealing to those accustomed to first-world facilities. Also I hear unemployment at French Guiana is between 20% and 30%) Maybe French Guiana an option if you work in the space industry ?
The difference is that French Guiana is part of France, Haiti is not. There is a huge difference between living standards ...
Old Dec 14th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The difference is that French Guiana is part of France, Haiti is not. There is a huge difference between living standards ...
Perhaps he meant Tahiti.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:30 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Canada?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 1:03 pm
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Marocco
Perhaps he meant Tahiti.
No, I meant Haiti... most likely I assumed incorectly that living standard in French Guiana were similar to Suriname and Guyana from which I have some bad feedback from known friends, but do no have personal experience.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
He won't be able to "live" here at all. He might be able to visit for 90 days, though! Also... it's not 90 days per year... it's 90 days per visit.

Ian
So you can stay here for 90 days, fly back to England for a day or whatever, and fly back here and stay 90 more days???
Old Dec 15th 2009, 12:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So you can stay here for 90 days, fly back to England for a day or whatever, and fly back here and stay 90 more days???
Maybe. Not likely without a darn good reason at the 2nd entry. It is always up to the border agent.
The rule of thumb is to spend as much time OUT as you did IN.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Maybe. Not likely without a darn good reason at the 2nd entry. It is always up to the border agent.
The rule of thumb is to spend as much time OUT as you did IN.
But even then you wouldnt be able to get legal employment, Americas a great country but its not worth a jail sentence (though I guess they'd be extradited and banned from re entry?)
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:27 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stubby42
But even then you wouldnt be able to get legal employment, Americas a great country but its not worth a jail sentence (though I guess they'd be extradited and banned from re entry?)
There is nothing criminal involved.

If a person comes to the US "enough" times and does not demonstrate a good reason for the amount of time spent in the US, and does not satisfy the border agent that they have a home outside the US that they do not intend to abandon (and etc etc etc) then they are 'refused entry'. They're held in detention until a flight on their carrier to return them whence they came.
And they can't use the VWP anymore after that IIRC; they need a visa.

And they wouldn't be able to get legal employment during the time they are in the US, correct.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

The U.S is (mostly) a great county which I am exceptionally fond of. However despite all that, the one reason I am moving there is because my wife wants to move back closer to her family in Massachusetts and raise our (future) kids there.

The U.K has it's problems, especially if you are a young person like myself starting out (I think it's a lot better if you are actually on the property ladder). You do tend to get a bit shafted by cost of living and the property prices are ridiculously high (and will remain so as the population rises to 70 million). I and my wife work decent jobs but in the south east it's barely enough to tread water; I would be lying if I said that didn't get to me occasionally but nothing a couple of pints can't sort out. But, it's still a beautiful country with great countryside, historic cities and great people with a dry sense of humour; and it's still home.

Once I've left I will probably never return except to visit, and I intend to embrace my new country with all my heart; but there is no way I would go through all the crap with immigration, homesickness, culture shock if it wasn't for my missus, and I def wouldn't do it just to get to some place warmer.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Dec 15th 2009 at 11:25 am.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

As for culture, well we don't have much of one to begin with....the UK is a more cultured place than the U.S. All we have are BBQs, racing, baseball, American football, and Hollywood.
Originally Posted by Rete
We have a culture? Wow would you tell others here what that is please.
Bit of American modesty there?

Not only do you have a culture, it's taken over half the planet.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Dec 15th 2009 at 11:31 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.