Derivative Citizenship

Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Derivative Citizenship

Originally Posted by crg14624
Time spent overseas with the US military counts the same as time physically spent in the US.
Hi:

Which means that she should ask Dad if he has his "DD-214." I had mine for quite a few years but it went missing in action at some point. I did a FOIA on my 201 jacket in 2000 -- and got an acknledgement and they would be sending it forthwith. Two years ago, I put in a second request and that was denied because the 2000 request is still pending.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Daina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You are misreading the requirements. Depending upon which version of the statute you are applying under, the rule is generally that Daddykins must have lived in the US for X period of time, of which at least half was after age 14. When they are trying to eliminate are those citizens who spent their childhood in the US but left at a fairly young age.
Ahh, I completely read those requirements wrong lol.
Can I obtain those from the Air Force where he served? He was here (UK) for at least 5 years, I know that. But are they allowed to just give me those kind of records?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:21 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daina
Ahh, I completely read those requirements wrong lol.
Can I obtain those from the Air Force where he served? He was here (UK) for at least 5 years, I know that. But are they allowed to just give me those kind of records?
It would be better if he had the form. As Mr. F said, they are hard to get. If Dad could get his DD-214 and high school records that would be good.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Two years ago, I put in a second request and that was denied because the 2000 request is still pending.
Somewhere, Joseph Heller nods.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Daina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg14624
It would be better if he had the form. As Mr. F said, they are hard to get. If Dad could get his DD-214 and high school records that would be good.
Apparently he was at RAF Bentwaters, which is now a Cold War Museum.
Who could I go to now to get records?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Somewhere, Joseph Heller nods.
Hi:

Most CIS officers look very puzzled when I ask if Joseph Heller was involved in their decisions. In fact, some of the ICE attorneys look puzzled when I comment to an Immigration Judge something to the effect that I did not know that Joseph Heller was a government attorney -- but the Judges get it.

State Department officials tend to be a lot more literate and agree that Mr. Heller must have been instrumental in drafting of the Immigration & Nationality Act and the concomitant regulations -- inasmuch as he was still alive when many were written.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Daina
Apparently he was at RAF Bentwaters, which is now a Cold War Museum.
Who could I go to now to get records?
Hi:

Repeat -- 1. Get documentation from Dad 2. Do some genealogical research -- the Net is crawling with advice on that [much not related to immigration]. I understand the genealogical records of the Church of Later Day Saints are an excellent resource.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:54 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there Daina! Sorry for coming into this late but I have recently been through an almost identical situation to yours (although I had to make contact with my father who still lived in the U.K. Read Here

If you can obtain your Dads military ID number then his discharging base should be able to furnish the authorities with all of the info required, as they can confirm that he was a US citizen AND the duration that he resided within the US (or foreign military base). I was required to produce the Decree Nisi from the divorce, the 'Original' marriage cert, his Birth Cert, My Birth cert and he had to give his military id, SSN, and an old passport number (as his had been lost over the years). It would help greatly if you could get him to assist you personally rather than having to try and obtain this info yourself, I'm not saying it would be impossible, just that obtaining the info is that much easier when done by the person it relates to. I may also help build bridges.

This, along with 3 visits to the US embassy in London (and a few quid for the documentation from Uncle Sam) secured my passport within 3 months.

I hope this helps and I do recommend that you stick with it as you never know when it might come in handy in the future.

Last edited by Phychlone; Mar 20th 2009 at 2:11 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 5:50 pm
An Unknown Yank Fraction

Phychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond reputePhychlone has a reputation beyond repute

Typical, a subject comes up for which I might be able to help and the OP vanishes