!!Deportation!! part 2

Old Jun 9th 2003, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

TuffEnuff is a jewel in the roughTuffEnuff is a jewel in the roughTuffEnuff is a jewel in the roughTuffEnuff is a jewel in the roughTuffEnuff is a jewel in the rough
Default !!Deportation!! part 2

(this is for the people that dont know our story)
My husband, Jerome came to this country via JFK airport on or about August 20th, 1986, when he was only 3 years old. His mother, an illegal alien from Jamaica brought him here somehow, but never applied for, or obtained any Immigration papers for her son. She raised him, and enrolled him in school, in Brooklyn, NY where they resided henceforth. Jerome attended NYC public schools, which we have record of, dating back to 1988. Jerome’s father died shortly after his son arrived in the United States, and is buried in Cypress Hill Cemetery, in NY.

When Jerome was 9 years old, his 4th grade teacher was concerned that Jerome needed Special Education classes, based on his learning abilities. When his teacher expressed her concerns to Jerome’s mother, his mother refused to put him into Special Ed classes. Jerome’s teacher gave his mother one more chance to cooperate before she made Child Protective Services (CPS) aware of the situation. CPS were also concerned that Jerome required Special Education classes, to suit his needs. Since his mother refused, CPS followed Jerome home from school one day, where they found him letting himself into his apartment with a house key that he wore around his neck. When CPS questioned his mother at a later time, she stated that she was at a doctor’s appointment, and that Jerome knew she would be home shortly. CPS took Jerome from his home, and placed him in foster care.

Jerome was in foster care for approximately 30 days. Out of those 30 days, Jerome missed about 20 days of school. He was also raped, sexually assaulted, and physically, emotionally, and psychologically abused by an older female, who was also living in the foster home at the time. Jerome has his lawyer’s documentation, as a record of all the abuse. The older girl repeatedly punched, slapped, and kicked, him. She also threw him down on the gravel roof, dragging him which scratched his back. Among these horrible things, she also threatened to kill him, repeatedly burned his hands and body with her lighter. She would also make him open his hand so that she could put out her cigarette in the palms of his hands, as if they were ashtrays. She cut his hair, called him names, and bullied him. Perhaps the worst of all the abuse, however, could be that fact that she forced sexual acts upon him, as well as forced him to repeatedly to perform sexual acts on a younger girl, who was also in the foster home at the same time. She also made him expose himself to the other teenagers in the house, fondling him, while laughing and making fun of him.

Now keep in mind, his abuser was about 16 or 17 at the time, and was a big girl, while my husband was a small 9 year old, who was afraid to defend himself from her. When questioned about the abuse, Jerome and the other children in the home stated that the abuse occurred while the foster mother was at work, and the babysitter that she hired was in charge of the children. The children also stated that even the babysitter was afraid of Jerome’s abuser. My husband was allowed to return back with his mother, where he continued school, and sought counseling for the abuse. He received counseling until he was about 16 years old.

Jerome continued with school. When he was 17, he wanted to get his working permit through his high school so that he could find a job, so he asked his mother for his social security card. (The secretary at the high school told Jerome that a social security card was needed for verification in order to obtain a working permit through NY state.) His mother told him she would look for it, but as time went on, and he continuously asked her for it, she broke down, and finally told him that he was an illegal alien. Jerome never knew he was any different than any of his friends. He just assumed that his mother had his social security card hidden away for safe keeping, as she told him she did many times.

My husband had a relationship with Monique, of Brooklyn, NY. She conceived his child in January, 2001. She had their baby on October 8th, 2001. Although Monique and my husband haven’t been a couple since August 2001, he loves his son dearly and has been a constant factor in his child’s life, both emotionally, and physically, and as much as he could financially. He was at the hospital the day he was born, has been there for visitation, holidays, birthdays, and he calls almost daily to talk to him. His son refers to him as “daddy�, and that was one of the first words he learned.

My husband and I met in November, 2001, and fell in love. We married in April, of 2002. He moved to Auburn (my hometown), so that we could start our life together. We have been married one year, and three months so far, and are extremely happy and content with married life. We retained Jerome’s lawyer, Mr. Gregory G. McPhee to assist us in this very difficult endeavor. We found that our options are limited, and we have very few things working out in our favor. We need help from our government to see that there are cases that fall in the “grey area� even though they may be few and far between, and grant my husband “Cancellation of Removal�.

I am a 22 year old counselor, and I work with individuals with mental illness, and dual diagnosed mental retardation. I have had my job for almost 3 years, and have been in this field for 4 years. I make approximately $26,000 per year. I have supported Jerome and myself for the whole time we have been married. Though a bit financially difficult at times, I would do it all over if it meant having my husband by my side. My husband has drastically changed my life in so many ways, but words do not do justice. Before I met my husband, I was almost 400 pounds, and miserable. I was borderline diabetic, and taking the highest dosage of insulin allowed. Even the slightest bit of walking made my joints ache. I felt not good enough. I felt ugly, and undesirable .I have struggled with eating disorders and depression since I was about 12 years old, and have been hospitalized on more than one occasion. I met Jerome at a down point in my life...quite possibly the worst part of my life. I had a very physically and emotionally abusive ex boyfriend of 2 ½ years, who I never thought I would heal from...but, Jerome and I met, and I am now a completely different person. I have lost 100 pounds, have gained so much self confidence and self worth. I have more energy, and a newfound attitude and outlook on my life. I feel like my life has just begun, and, I owe it all to my husband. Some say that it is not a good idea to marry while young, well, I used to believe that, but now, my mind has changed. Why walk through the fire alone, when you can battle the flames together? And that is exactly what we have done...we have helped each other through very difficult times. Without him, I feel as though I would have fallen apart. He trusts in me, and believes in me. While I’m not dependent upon him for my happiness, I do owe him for it. He has stood by me, and helped me every step of the way. He loved me for ME. He loved me unconditionally. He builds my confidence, and he supports me. He is my best friend.

A little about Jerome....He was raised in a neighborhood with very high crime rate in Brooklyn, Ny, where it could have been very easy to get involved with drugs, gangs, and other crime, but Jerome knew he wanted a different life than that. He has never had a criminal record. He has only done positive things with his life. After Jerome found out about his illegal “status�, he knew that he couldn’t work, but instead of sitting around doing nothing, he took the initiative, and he took a tax course and is now certified by H&R Block to prepare taxes. Jerome also volunteers as a Rape Crisis Counselor at SAVAR, in Auburn, NY. He chose to take the misfortunes in his life, and help others going through the struggles that he went through. Jerome enjoys grilling, fishing, doing yard work, swimming, and having cookouts and dinner parties with friends and family. Neither of us drink, smoke or do drugs. Our goals for our futures are simple. I want to go back to college, finish with my degree, and become a psychiatrist for mentally ill individuals. Jerome wants to go to college to become an immigration lawyer. (He has learned a great deal through our whole process.) After we have our educations, we want to work on our family, and purchasing a home.

I cannot recall anything from when I was 3 years old. I just trusted my parents, and most other adults that spent time with me. I did not have the cognitive ability to make judgement calls that would determine the rest of my life. I didn’t have those capabilities, and neither did Jerome. If he HAD the ability to see what would’ve happened to him when he stepped onto that airplane that day, I bet my bottom dollar he wouldn’t have gotten on the plane. But, unfortunately, Jerome was just a child, and had no idea that his mother was placing his whole future on hold by sneaking him into our country.

He has been accustomed to the United States for the majority of his life. He has been here almost 18 years out of 20. So, my husband has been here statistically, about 90% of his life, and may be ordered to be removed based on his status.
Thank you for reading
Jerome

Last edited by TuffEnuff; Jun 9th 2003 at 4:56 pm.