Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dependants arrival at the same time?

Dependants arrival at the same time?

Old Jun 26th 2018, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dependants arrival at the same time?

Hi all,

Just wondering if I do get an L1 and my wife L2, are they meant to enter the country first time with me?
The case we are managing is that I will get there for work and be flying back to London for a few weeks, then at some point when UK weather becomes miserable again (late summer), my wife will move there permanently.
So my L1 will be stamped soon but she will probably fly alone and I will pick her up at the airport somewhere in Aug.

Do you foresee a problem there? Not sure if the 1st entry must be with the L1 holder, same time for first time,...

Cheers!
Old Jun 26th 2018, 11:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dependants arrival at the same time?

They do not have to enter with you, but you do have to be present in the US when they enter.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
They do not have to enter with you, but you do have to be present in the US when they enter.
Present means that for the first entry I must be within the US soil, right?
If so, it won't be a problem as I am planning to pick her up upon arrival.
If present means I need to go with her through customs, then I might have to schedule my trips in a different manner.

Cheers!
Old Jun 26th 2018, 12:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Present means that for the first entry I must be within the US soil, right?
Correct. You don't need to be landed with her.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Correct. You don't need to be landed with her.
great news
cheers
Old Jun 26th 2018, 5:36 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

When did that become the rule? Just curious. I think I would have spotted such a huge change.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
When did that become the rule? Just curious. I think I would have spotted such a huge change.
As I understood it, this statement would be correct for immigrant visa's as a result of dependent sponsorship, but not non-immigrant. Therefore L2 could arrive whenever, regardless of the OP's in-country status.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
As I understood it, this statement would be correct for immigrant visa's as a result of dependent sponsorship, but not non-immigrant. Therefore L2 could arrive whenever, regardless of the OP's in-country status.
thanks for the help, I got now the idea on how to proceed.
i will ask anyways in the Embassy (if they give me the chance) or to the mobility team of my company.

cheers
Old Jun 28th 2018, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

All - just to keep everyone up to date and share the knowledge.
In the US EMbassy they confirmed:
- Dependants should either travel with visa holder first time the visa holder enters in the country
- Or, travel after the visa holder has entered the country

Never before the visa holder enters the country for the first time.

Cheers