Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied entry on VWP, chances of getting a tourist visa?

Wikiposts

Denied entry on VWP, chances of getting a tourist visa?

Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied entry on VWP, chances of getting a tourist visa?

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Also, in a recent discussion with a colleague, the border people in British Columbia are not not the nicest -- attorneys have this strange habit of asking around as to where the best place to enter might be.
That's certainly been my experience at Vancouver. Calgary, on the other hand - very friendly and I didn't even get asked the most basic of questions (What are you here for? When are you returning? etc.).
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
That's certainly been my experience at Vancouver. Calgary, on the other hand - very friendly and I didn't even get asked the most basic of questions (What are you here for? When are you returning? etc.).
This whole thread has me scratching my head.

BTW, Berlin is one of my favorite cities and I do enjoy the pastries! Also, curiously enough, I had the best Cuban food -- it seems that the former GDR was one of the few countries in which Cuba allowed foreign study.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Also, in a recent discussion with a colleague, the border people in British Columbia are not not the nicest -- attorneys have this strange habit of asking around as to where the best place to enter might be.
Amtrak from Montreal to New York, The train stops, ICE board the train. You are sitting and they are standing in the aisle.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

This whole thread has me scratching my head.

BTW, Berlin is one of my favorite cities and I do enjoy the pastries! Also, curiously enough, I had the best Cuban food -- it seems that the former GDR was one of the few countries in which Cuba allowed foreign study.
Cuba and East Germany had especially close ties. Cuba even ceded a small island to the GDR as a holiday resort. As West Germany declined to take it on when East Germany reunified, if the Cubans never re-annexed it then possibly the GDR lives on to this day!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Cuba and East Germany had especially close ties. Cuba even ceded a small island to the GDR as a holiday resort. As West Germany declined to take it on when East Germany reunified, if the Cubans never re-annexed it then possibly the GDR lives on to this day!
Actually, that was just an internet rumor . Castro only changed the name to "Isla Ernesto Thälmann", after the former leader of the German Communist Party who was killed by the nazis in WWII. See here (in German).
Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Mine too ! I've only been living here for a couple of months, so I haven't got to know it that well yet, but I will have to go hunting for Cuban food. What kind of food is Cuban food?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:53 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of food is Cuban food?
Try one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crg
Hmmm, ham, pork, salami, pickles, mustard..... I can't think why this would be popular in Germany .
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:30 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, ham, pork, salami, pickles, mustard..... I can't think why this would be popular in Germany .
Cuban food is essentially one of the variations of Caribbean/Latin cooking. Here is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platill...s_y_Cristianos.

I had a recent trip to Costa Rica -- its food was similar. And not all Latin food is the same -- my daughter wanted to eat authentic Mexican tacos [in LA] rather that the "Tico taco" variety.

BTW, I remember a food stand across the street from the KaDeWe selling "Currywurst" and doing excellent business. See this BBC item.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Aug 15th 2011 at 5:36 am.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

englishbunny will become famous soon enough

OP, you need the advice of an immigration lawyer if you intend to go back to the US. I thought the longest someone can have a J-1 is for 18 months, so I think like some of the others have said, you had your J-1 visa for 18 months and then your employer got a B-2 - which is why they couldn't pay you. Going back straight in after a B-2 probably did arouse suspicions.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 12:07 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Working illegally on a B-2 for six months is quite frowned upon too.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by anuny
Amtrak from Montreal to New York, The train stops, ICE board the train. You are sitting and they are standing in the aisle.

Certainly hope not! CBP, not ICE.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 1:54 am
crg
American Expat

Well, for about six months, lukem23 was likely just as removable as someone in the US who was illegally working from Mexico, Poland, China, Canada, France, Mars, or Alpha Centauri.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg
Well, for about six months, lukem23 was likely just as removable as someone in the US who was illegally working from Mexico, Poland, China, Canada, France, Mars, or Alpha Centauri.
They are supposedly concentrating on those with criminal histories, does he have one of those?

And why do UFO's only land in the US?
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:06 am
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Boiler
They are supposedly concentrating on those with criminal histories, does he have one of those?
It depends what part of the country, and which arm of DHS you're talking about. They may be concentrating on criminals and/or those who have been ordered already, but anyone out of status who crosses their path may get swept up too,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.