Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied entry on VWP, chances of getting a tourist visa?

Wikiposts

Denied entry on VWP, chances of getting a tourist visa?

Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied entry on VWP, chances of getting a tourist visa?

Originally Posted by lukem23
8CFR 2174(A)(i) - I'm not sure this is 100% correct but thats what it looks like to me
8 CFR 217.4(A)(1):

(A) Determinations of inadmissibility. (1) An alien who applies for admission under the provisions of section 217 of the Act, who is determined by an immigration officer not to be eligible for admission under that section or to be inadmissible to the United States under one or more of the grounds of inadmissibility listed in section 212 of the Act (other than for lack of a visa), or who is in possession of and presents fraudulent or counterfeit travel documents, will be refused admission into the United States and removed. Such refusal and removal shall be made at the level of the port director or officer-in-charge, or an officer acting in that capacity, and shall be effected without referral of the alien to an immigration judge for further inquiry, examination, or hearing, except that an alien who presents himself or herself as an applicant for admission under section 217 of the Act, who applies for asylum in the United States must be issued a Form I–863, Notice of Referral to Immigration Judge, for a proceeding in accordance with §208.2(b)(1) and (2) of this chapter."

Just FYI.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

lukem23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Your chances of obtaining a B-2 visa are zero if you don't apply. Guaranteed -- and I don't guarantee much if anything.

BTW, your terminology on why you went up to Canada has me confused.
Of course I understand I will never know whether I will get one without applying but I would like some kind of guidance and a yard stick in the likelihood of obtaining a tourist visa before doing so.

The last thing I want is a visa denial on my record especially if it is because of something trivial.

What is it about my travel to Canada that is confusing? I will try to clear it up for you.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
8 CFR 217.4(A)(1):

(A) Determinations of inadmissibility. (1) An alien who applies for admission under the provisions of section 217 of the Act, who is determined by an immigration officer not to be eligible for admission under that section or to be inadmissible to the United States under one or more of the grounds of inadmissibility listed in section 212 of the Act (other than for lack of a visa), or who is in possession of and presents fraudulent or counterfeit travel documents, will be refused admission into the United States and removed. Such refusal and removal shall be made at the level of the port director or officer-in-charge, or an officer acting in that capacity, and shall be effected without referral of the alien to an immigration judge for further inquiry, examination, or hearing, except that an alien who presents himself or herself as an applicant for admission under section 217 of the Act, who applies for asylum in the United States must be issued a Form I–863, Notice of Referral to Immigration Judge, for a proceeding in accordance with §208.2(b)(1) and (2) of this chapter."

Just FYI.

Ian
So this is the reason why I was refused admittance.

Does this help shed light on future travels to the US?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

What has Canada's refusal of entry got to do with using the VWP to enter the US? Two different countries.

I had just finished a work visa in the US that amounted to 2 years in total.

I hadn't quite managed to tie all the loose ends up before my visa expired so travelled up to Canada to avoid any unlawful presence.

I had planned on spending a few days in Canada before re-entering the US using the VWP as I have no convictions or any negative anything on my record. I had already booked a flight back to the UK and just needed to sort the last remaining loose ends up before I left.

Needless to say CBP didnt like what I was doing even though I had followed the law in regards to my visa. They denied me entry in Canada on the VWP and said if I wanted to come back to the US then I would need a visa period, even for vacation. I am quite upset about not being able to use the VWP ever again because they thought wrong about my intentions.

I wasnt really happy about the whole thing but I can understand why they thought I wasnt going to do what I had intended but I guess thats what you get for following the rules.

Luckily, I have managed to get back into the groove of things in the UK and have a job. I would like to go to the US over the holidays to see my girlfriend who lives there. What are the chances of getting say a B2 visa for a couple of weeks in December, meaning I would have spent some 6 months away from the US?

Thanks!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
What has Canada's refusal of entry got to do with using the VWP to enter the US? Two different countries.
US CBP is located in Vancouver airport so that's what I mean when I say I was refused entry into the US by US authorities in Canada.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Needless to say CBP didnt like what I was doing even though I had followed the law in regards to my visa. They denied me entry in Canada on the VWP and said if I wanted to come back to the US then I would need a visa period, even for vacation. I am quite upset about not being able to use the VWP ever again because they thought wrong about my intentions.

Thanks!!
US CBP is located in Vancouver airport so that's what I mean when I say I was refused entry into the US by US authorities in Canada.
No what you said is that you were denied entry into Canada. At the Vancouver Airport you were not inspected by the US Customs Agents but by the Canadian Agents. You are inspected by the US when you are going from Canada into the US.

As someone who is married to a Canuck and has traveled by air landing in Ottawa and Toronto and having flown from Toronto to Vancouver to board a ship, it has always been that way.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

No what you said is that you were denied entry into Canada. At the Vancouver Airport you were not inspected by the US Customs Agents but by the Canadian Agents. You are inspected by the US when you are going from Canada into the US.

As someone who is married to a Canuck and has traveled by air landing in Ottawa and Toronto and having flown from Toronto to Vancouver to board a ship, it has always been that way.
The last time we were in Vancouver (a couple of years ago) we did go through US immigration while travelling back from Vancouver to the US at the airport.
So the OP could have been denied entry into the US at Vancouver couldn't he?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

They denied me entry in Canada on the VWP
No what you said is that you were denied entry into Canada
Getting a bit hung up on the wording there. You've actually changed the OP's wording from "in Canada" to "inTO Canada" which has a different meaning in my book, especially given the whole context.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 1:35 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The last thing I want is a visa denial on my record especially if it is because of something trivial. .
There are refusals and there are refusals. A "214(b)" refusal is just a refusal and is not an indication that you are evil or undesirable in any way. Now if there is a "212(a)" refusal -- that shows that there was a ground of inasmissiblity present. FWIW, I recall that the Foreign Affairs Manual ["FAM"] instructs the ConOffs not to use 214(b) as a substitute for a 212 finding.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 3:00 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that uncommon for a J-1 to depart and reenter successfully for a VWP visit. I'm not sure why you weren't successful, but apparently they had a problem with you. What was the program end date on your SEVIS DS-2019 and when did you actually depart the US? You hired a lawyer who advised you to just go to Canada and back?

Last edited by crg; Aug 11th 2011 at 3:03 am.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Getting a bit hung up on the wording there. You've actually changed the OP's wording from "in Canada" to "inTO Canada" which has a different meaning in my book, especially given the whole context.
Yes that's right. I was already in Canada when attempting to get on my return flight to the US from Vancouver. After spending about 3 hours with US Customs, they said no thanks and then handed me over to Canadian officials who then kept me another 2 hours whilst I managed to buy another flight back to the UK. Great way to be made to feel like a criminal. I wouldn't mind if I had done something incriminating!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg
It's not that uncommon for a J-1 to depart and reenter successfully for a VWP visit. I'm not sure why you weren't successful, but apparently they had a problem with you. What was the program end date on your SEVIS DS-2019 and when did you actually depart the US? You hired a lawyer who advised you to just go to Canada and back?
My visa expired January 2011 but was extended for 6 months which took me up to July 2011. The company I work for has an immigration lawyer and didn't really envisage too many problems about what I did seeing as I had a one way ticket back to the UK for August 2011. I was told to expect a few questions about why I was coming back to the US so soon at CBP but should have been ok.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:40 am
Just Joined

My visa expired January 2011 but was extended for 6 months which took me up to July 2011. The company I work for has an immigration lawyer and didn't really envisage too many problems about what I did seeing as I had a one way ticket back to the UK for August 2011. I was told to expect a few questions about why I was coming back to the US so soon at CBP but should have been ok.
I might add that I did leave the US borders before the date on my DS-2019
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's right. I was already in Canada when attempting to get on my return flight to the US from Vancouver. After spending about 3 hours with US Customs, they said no thanks and then handed me over to Canadian officials who then kept me another 2 hours whilst I managed to buy another flight back to the UK. Great way to be made to feel like a criminal. I wouldn't mind if I had done something incriminating!!
I'm curious, how did the Canadian's treat you like a criminal?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:11 am
BE Commentator

I might add that I did leave the US borders before the date on my DS-2019
I'm really puzzled now. You now state more than 30 days before your status expired.

Something does not compute. I understood you to say you needed time to wind up your affairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.