Wikiposts

Denied entry on VWP

Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:36 am
Just Joined

rhodes89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denied entry on VWP

Hello everyone- I was recently denied entry to the USA under the VWP because I overstayed on a B2 visa back in 2009. The length of my overstay was less than 180 days. I thought that because it didn't trigger an automatic ban then I would still be able to re-enter (unfortunately this was not the case).

I was denied and sent on the next plane back to the UK under the 212 a 7 A i I.

I was hoping to app,y for entry to the US on a H1B in the near future but I now fear I may not be eligible.

Anyone have any good advice on what I should do.

Many thanks
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denied entry on VWP

Originally Posted by rhodes89
Hello everyone- I was recently denied entry to the USA under the VWP because I overstayed on a B2 visa back in 2009. The length of my overstay was less than 180 days. I thought that because it didn't trigger an automatic ban then I would still be able to re-enter (unfortunately this was not the case).

I was hoping to app,y for entry to the US on a H1B in the near future but I now fear I may not be eligible.

Anyone have any good advice on what I should do.

Many thanks
Yes, wait until you are able to apply via the H1B, and then do so. H1B is totally different than a visitor's visa. Being turned away on the VWP and having a no-ban overstay on a previous B visa probably won't hurt your chances of an H1B. Different purpose, different visa.

In the meantime, don't visit the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't you file ESTA and get a fail on that before your trip?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Yes I did apply for a ESTA and it got approved. This is why I was surprised to be denied entry. However, it does state on the ESTA approval that the final decision lies with the immigration officer.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why were you entering on the VWP when you had a B-2 visa which you used previously?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:13 am
Just Joined

I attempted to enter through the VWP because I overstayed on my B2 visa which caused this to become void.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That might have been a clue.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 11:16 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Noorah. A VWP refusal is not a removal order. By itself, it doesn't prevent you from getting an H1B.

The prior overstay on the B-2 didn't automatically prevent you from using the VWP either. A prior VWP overstay makes someone inelgible, but a B-2 overstay would not always have the same impact. You're correct that the B-2 is void even after a one day overstay. If you were caught attempting to use that visa, they could have barred you for 5 years on the spot.

They simply decided that you were a bad risk because of your previous violation. They essentially have the discretion to deny entry to anyone they feel like on the VWP.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:51 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhodes89
Are you certain that you were denied based on §212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I)? Strange that they should deny you entry with a prior overstay on this basis. §212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) is usually for immigrants who have inappropriate documentation. §212(a)(7)(B)(i)(II) would have made a little more sense.

Ah, the mysteries that come out of Ports of Entry.

Moving forward, AmEmb-London will probably want a decent explanation of your prior overstay on the B visa before issuing the H-1. You should be prepared to reiterate -- and re-document -- this explanation at the POE when you seek admission to the USA.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Are you certain that you were denied based on §212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I)? Strange that they should deny you entry with a prior overstay on this basis. §212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) is usually for immigrants who have inappropriate documentation. §212(a)(7)(B)(i)(II) would have made a little more sense.

Ah, the mysteries that come out of Ports of Entry.

Moving forward, AmEmb-London will probably want a decent explanation of your prior overstay on the B visa before issuing the H-1. You should be prepared to reiterate -- and re-document -- this explanation at the POE when you seek admission to the USA.
I'm glad that puzzled you too; I was starting to think I'd lost my google-fu.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:26 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
It actually makes perfect sense. Due to the prior violation, they likely doubted his claim that he was a bona fide nonimmigrant. Calling him a 7B would stipulate that he fits a nonimmigrant category but is inadmissible for a documentary deficiency and not make sense. He has a valid passport so 7B1 (no valid passport) is out. He is eligible to seek entry on the VWP because he has never violated the VWP and none of the ESTA questions ask about overstays or cover what he did so 7B2 (no valid visa, or the wrong visa) is out. Violations of status after entering on a visa don't automatically make someone ineligible for the VWP. A violation of the VWP would be a whole different situation.

7A1 is correct because they are saying he failed to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent per 214(b) INA.

"every alien (other than a nonimmigrant described in subparagraph (l) or (v) of section 101(a)(15), and other than a nonimmigrant described in any provision of section 101(a)(15)(H)(i) except subclause (b1) of such section) shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa, and the immigration officers, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status under section 101(a)(15)."

They determined that he was an immigrant. They essentially said that based on his prior behavior (which the OP hasn't disclosed and may have included unauthorized employment) he failed to overcome the presumption that he is seeking entry to the US to reside or do something else that isn't covered by B1/B2/WT/WB so he needs an immigrant visa and doesn't have one. They didn't deny him for what he did. They denied him because they weren't convinced he wouldn't break the rules again.

So yes, he was deemed to be an immigrant with inappropriate documentation. He didn't have an immigrant visa or a green card.

They likely couldn't bar him solely because of the overstay because it was under six months so no grounds applied to support a bar. If they didn't call him a 7A1, barring another ground of inadmissibility, they should have admitted him.

Last edited by crg; Aug 10th 2010 at 3:11 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 2:58 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
...Moving forward, AmEmb-London will probably want a decent explanation of your prior overstay on the B visa before issuing the H-1...
I am genuinely curious to know what a "decent explanation" is for an overstay. Do you find that many of your clients have a decent explanation?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 3:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I am genuinely curious to know what a "decent explanation" is for an overstay. Do you find that many of your clients have a decent explanation?
Coma?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
They likely couldn't bar him solely because of the overstay because it was under six months so no grounds applied to support a bar. If they didn't call him a 7A1, barring another ground of inadmissibility, they should have admitted him.
Thanks for the reply; I clearly need to read with better attention.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:09 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Meauxna: Your puzzlement about this is well-founded. §212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I) is for immigrants who lack appropriate documentation, such as missing birth certificates, missing labor certs, or other document irregularities. It is NOT for presumed immigrants who have failed to overcome §214(b).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.