Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

denied Entry to USA based on assumptions!?

denied Entry to USA based on assumptions!?

Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

DJguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default denied Entry to USA based on assumptions!?

Hi,

I m a EU citizen temporarily living in London for business. I met a girl online and after almost a year of chatting we decided to meet. as she was living in the USA and i was the flexible one, i decided to visit her.
I travel a lot often and occasionally international as well, but i have never experienced what happened to me in the USA. I was refused entry and denied into the usa for DATING a girl i met over the internet. She was indeed 8 years younger than me! and they mentioned i planned an act or moral turpitude. I was allowed to call her once, but they did not let me trough! So based on what can they decide to refuse entry? On assumptions??
One of the officers said that the usa just wants to get rid of the VISA WAIVER program as its a treat to their country he said.
I am planning to fill a case against this. I have no idea what consequences it has for me. i had to sign a document of some questions they asked on which i had to answer, they said they where obligated to do it that way in order to get me a return flight, basically detained....

Is this actually legal? I was shocked, simply shocked and still dont know how this ever could happen.

The stamp on my passport says "admitted on date..."
anyone an idea what it means?
Can i use the visa waiver for the USA again?
Next time i enter the usa would they simply arrest me or whats the matter with this, djeez?
Am i convited, charged of something? arrested?

its sad but i m afraid of traveling to the US ever again after being held almost captured like a criminal!? getting detained and all the hassel around it, real shit feeling thought

Any feedback on this?

Last edited by DJguy; Nov 28th 2012 at 10:17 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: denied Entry to USA based on assumptions!?

Of course they can deny you entry, for any reason they see fit. Think of it as you knocking on the door of the US, and them deciding whether or not they want to let you in. Only a US citizen has the right to enter the US.

Out of interest, how old is the girl you were going to meet and what state is she in? As they said they suspected you were going to commit an act of moral turpitude, I'm wondering if she's underage?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Of course they can deny you entry, for any reason they see fit. Think of it as you knocking on the door of the US, and them deciding whether or not they want to let you in. Only a US citizen has the right to enter the US.

Out of interest, how old is the girl you were going to meet and what state is she in? As they said they suspected you were going to commit an act of moral turpitude, I'm wondering if she's underage?
not at all under aged, i was wondering whether she was ever convicted for such... but she would have told me that by now if it wss like that, and even if, the officer would have told me that,
they had anything other to say like, i am not going to let you in for this and that reason, she is a lot younger, short trip, 2.5 days,.... she was 19 end i was 27 lol, lots of cute girls here in europe,

Ok i do understand the fact they need to protect their borders. but that was an expensive joke really. I want to know what the concequences are.

Am i charged of something?
Comvicted, arrested, what does it mean to be refused and even detained, it really feels as being a criminal really! it hurts quite a bit
Did i better kept firm stance, took a lawyer to force my way in? now i ve been denied that means something?

Last edited by DJguy; Nov 28th 2012 at 10:29 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Filing a case is rather pointless. In return for waiving the need for a visa, you waive lots of rights such as "appeal".

I'd be curious to know exactly what was written/stamped in your passport. Any string of numbers and letters in brackets? And that piece of paper you signed, did it have a number?

One assumes you filled in the ESTA application honestly and have never had any other issues with traveling?
Old Nov 28th 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Filing a case is rather pointless. In return for waiving the need for a visa, you waive lots of rights such as "appeal".

I'd be curious to know exactly what was written/stamped in your passport. Any string of numbers and letters in brackets? And that piece of paper you signed, did it have a number?

One assumes you filled in the ESTA application honestly and have never had any other issues with traveling?
never had any isseu with traveling.

i dont have these documents here right now, But There was a Green i think square shape card attached to the page of my passport where they stamped "admitted" on with a little signature. And it had something written on it.

the document i signed had no number. it where a few questions on which i was free to answer. they told me that was the way it goes with all refusals....
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The question is whether you need just a Visitor Visa or if you also have a ban. And that will depend on whether you were refused entry or deported.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 2:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJguy
never had any isseu with traveling.

i dont have these documents here right now, But There was a Green i think square shape card attached to the page of my passport where they stamped "admitted" on with a little signature. And it had something written on it.

the document i signed had no number. it where a few questions on which i was free to answer. they told me that was the way it goes with all refusals....
There's not much we can tell you without knowing what was written by the POE agent.

Basically you were allowed to come to the POE to request entry. For whatever reason, the POE agent didn't find you admissable. Therefore you were turned away at the POE. It happens more often than you probably realize.

Have her come visit you when she can get some time off.

Rene
Old Nov 29th 2012, 3:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure this was the reason that you were denied entry? The information that you supplied in your post does not support this conclusion.
I was refused entry and denied into the usa for DATING a girl i met over the internet.
I would love to read a transcript of what was actually said by both you and the CBP officers.
She was indeed 8 years younger than me! and they mentioned i planned an act or moral turpitude. I was allowed to call her once, but they did not let me trough!
Based on you did not overcome their doubts that you were admissible to the USA. They do not have to demonstrate that you are not admissible, you have to demonstrate that you are admissible. So yes - they can refuse you on assumptions.
So based on what can they decide to refuse entry? On assumptions??
No, you didn't have to sign anything. You were lied to. And yes, it is legal for them to lie to you.
i had to sign a document of some questions they asked on which i had to answer, they said they where obligated to do it that way in order to get me a return flight, basically detained....

Is this actually legal?
It says "admitted"? The situation you have described is that you were not admitted. Rather, you were denied admission, you were refused entry.
The stamp on my passport says "admitted on date..."
anyone an idea what it means?
No. Once they have been denied entry a person is no longer eligible to use the VWP.
Can i use the visa waiver for the USA again?
You are not arrested, charged, or convicted of anything. You are denied entry into the USA.
Next time i enter the usa would they simply arrest me or whats the matter with this, djeez?
Am i convited, charged of something? arrested?
If you want to try to enter the USA again you will need a visa to travel to the USA to request entry.
Any feedback on this?
Regards, JEff
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:17 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the officers said that the usa just wants to get rid of the VISA WAIVER program as its a treat to their country he said.
This interests me. Is this true? I don't understand why they have a waiver anyway. Every single person visiting Australia for any reason must have a visa, apart from NZ citizens and their passport is just an Australian visa anyway. Why a country with the OTT security paranoia of the US has a waiver scheme puzzles me.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
This interests me. Is this true? I don't understand why they have a waiver anyway. Every single person visiting Australia for any reason must have a visa, apart from NZ citizens and their passport is just an Australian visa anyway. Why a country with the OTT security paranoia of the US has a waiver scheme puzzles me.
Austalia has the same sort of system as the US VWP. It's called the ETA, but it's still the same idea. http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/eta.htm
Old Nov 29th 2012, 9:32 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Austalia has the same sort of system as the US VWP. It's called the ETA, but it's still the same idea. http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/eta.htm
ETA must be arranged in advance though, mustn't it? Last time I went to the States I just got in a plane and filled out a card on landing.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, how did discussion of the US girlfriend come about? Over the years, I have visited the US many times, and I have never been asked about having a girlfriend there.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

ETA must be arranged in advance though, mustn't it? Last time I went to the States I just got in a plane and filled out a card on landing.
Not always. My sister just got one 3 weeks ago at the airport in Toronto.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

The USA now has the ESTA which, if flying in, you must complete before boarding.
Old Nov 29th 2012, 11:03 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Out of curiosity, how did discussion of the US girlfriend come about? Over the years, I have visited the US many times, and I have never been asked about having a girlfriend there.
I assume that that was what he wrote as 'purpose of visit'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.