Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denied entry to US previously on different country passport. but ESTA is approved.

Denied entry to US previously on different country passport. but ESTA is approved.

Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

mub786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Denied entry to US previously on different country passport. but ESTA is approved

Originally Posted by RBN282
I had a similar experience-though my earlier problems were back in the early 90s.
what was the out come
Old Aug 18th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

RBN282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Denied entry to US previously on different country passport. but ESTA is approved

Originally Posted by mub786
what was the out come
I had mentioned the date and place of visa cancellation. In case you had more than one such instance of denial or cancellation, you should mention the most recent one.
The ESTA was not immediately approved, but was approved when I checked back after a few hours. It appears that a few others on this group had the same experience. The conclusion is that a past instance of denial or cancellation of a F-1 or B-2 visa (and probably a few other types or visa) does not prevent you from getting ESTA approval. Probably you will be questioned about these things in secondary, but this should not be a major problem unless you have more complications.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:24 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

what was the out come
Early '90s is almost a generation ago. The immigration landscape has changed a lot since then, and experiences from them are likely not relevant to the picture today.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:01 am
Just Joined

SAP950 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi! I'm in the same situation, I had a F-1 visa denied in my previous passport more than 5 years ago but my ESTA was approved and I had answered Yes to the question whether i have been denied a visa before. I am going to travel to The States this December. Please let me know how you went!!
I called the US embassy twice and was told that if ESTA was approved then ravel should be permitted! but then again ESTA only permits you to board the aircraft, its up to the border protection officer to make the final assessment.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:10 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SAP950
its up to the border protection officer to make the final assessment.
That's always the case, unless you are a US Citizen, or a Green Card holder (though there your rights are different than those of a US Citizen).
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SAP950
Hi! I'm in the same situation, I had a F-1 visa denied in my previous passport more than 5 years ago but my ESTA was approved and I had answered Yes to the question whether i have been denied a visa before. I am going to travel to The States this December. Please let me know how you went!!
I called the US embassy twice and was told that if ESTA was approved then ravel should be permitted! but then again ESTA only permits you to board the aircraft, its up to the border protection officer to make the final assessment.
Will let you know if they let me in or not, i am traveling with my wife. she never applied or refused, so might be they let her in and not me. no idea depent on the immigration officer.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:29 am
Just Joined

SAP950 is an unknown quantity at this point

Will let you know if they let me in or not, i am traveling with my wife. she never applied or refused, so might be they let her in and not me. no idea depent on the immigration officer.
Goodluck! Wish you all the best !!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

i am traveling with my wife. she never applied or refused...
What passport does your wife hold? If she's using the VWP, she must complete ESTA.

Ian
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:21 am
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What passport does your wife hold? If she's using the VWP, she must complete ESTA.

Ian
Only for arrival by air or sea.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian

We both hold british passport. Yes she has completed ESTA
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:10 am
Just Joined

I am just posting my feedback of my Trip to US,
i was taken off from plane and asked few Question my mother name and father name. then 1 guy was on the phone with Wa DC, then he said ok to travel. my name is confusion with some one as i have common Muslim name.

On US Immigration officer ask where we born(me and my wife) i told i born **** wife *** my wife got stamped and told me will go for secondary officer for more Question. they took us to one big hall/room where other people was waiting. then after 1 minute of waiting officer came and said you set to go, no question asked. got stamped with no exit date and no class on my stamped.

after 2 days cross border to Canada in car with my uncle who is US Citizen no Question asked in Canada, came back to US after 1 night at Niagara Falls, officer asked will have to ask more Question to me again. they search our car and did not ask me or any one question and said u all ok to go.

USA trip was good. thanks for all information
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like your name may be similar to a name on some watch list. That might cause you extra scrutiny on future trips as well, but there isn't much you can do about that.

At any rate, thanks for the update. Glad to hear that things went well and that you enjoyed your visit!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:38 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

i was taken off from plane and asked few Question my mother name and father name. then 1 guy was on the phone with Wa DC, then he said ok to travel. my name is confusion with some one as i have common Muslim name.
Certainly, in the times we live in, people with Muslim or Arabic names may have a particular problem crossing the US border. However, such "name hits" happen to others. I am always -- ALWAYS -- stopped on my way INTO and OUT OF Australia. There is someone with a name that is somewhat like mine in whom the Australian government takes a particular interest. Each time it has happened, the immigration agent has been civil. On my last departure from Australia, the agent even said, "well, we've made a note in the computer, so this should not happen to you again."

I have not tested this out since that visit.

I've become philosophical about it, telling my cousin meeting me at Sydney Airport that she should NOT panic if I don't exit the immigration zone right away.