British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   denied 1-129 at embassy, want to go 1-130. good idea? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/denied-1-129-embassy-want-go-1-130-good-idea-271807/)

lec Dec 13th 2004 1:37 pm

denied 1-129 at embassy, want to go 1-130. good idea?

has anyone been denied a finacee visa at the embassy and then received a visa for a 1-130.
I went down to the Caracas embassy for my finacee's interview. I was interviewed for over an hour, we were then denied the visa under 221g....they wrote ineligible. They said we did not have strong communications. I guess we did not sumbit enough of our communications.
I now plan to go down and get married next month in Caracas and file the 1-130.
Has anyone else get denied the 1-129 and get approved for the 1-130?

ian-mstm Dec 13th 2004 9:50 pm

Re: denied 1-129 at embassy, want to go 1-130. good idea?

Originally Posted by lec
we were then denied the visa under 221g....they wrote ineligible.

Will getting married solve the problem of being previously ineligible? If it doesn't, then this probably isn't a good idea.

Ian

Noorah101 Dec 13th 2004 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by lec
has anyone been denied a finacee visa at the embassy and then received a visa for a 1-130.
I went down to the Caracas embassy for my finacee's interview. I was interviewed for over an hour, we were then denied the visa under 221g....they wrote ineligible. They said we did not have strong communications. I guess we did not sumbit enough of our communications.

Not sure if it's happened to anyone or not, but just be aware, they will still ask to see evidence of relationship and communication, same as they did this time.

Best Wishes,
Rene

Hypertweeky Dec 14th 2004 4:57 am

Originally Posted by lec

Sorry to hear about the denial:(

IMHO the marital status doesn't make a difference, what matters is the evidence you present to prove a bona-fide relationship.

Good luck!

jg1012002 Dec 14th 2004 10:25 am

Me and my husband did that. Although we went to a totally different embassy, Cyprus. We started in Abu Dhabi embassy, they asked for proof he was single, we turned it in and they said the approval had expired so they returned to INS. So we arranged to marry in Cyprus, which we did. The consular officer in Cyprus called the embassy in Abu Dhabi and they stated they didn't believe our relationship because my fiancee was 10 years younger than I. After 3 hours of being questioned by consular officers in Cyprus, they gave him the visa so it was well worth it!

lec Dec 14th 2004 11:25 am

My fiancee and I are ten years apart too. that is interesting. we had over three years worth of emails, instant messages and phone cards and pictures. We were shocked that we were denied. We met when he was in the US on a tourist visa. They asked me why I waited so long to get engaged, when is waiting two years a long time? they also asked me if the age difference bothered me.

Noorah101 Dec 14th 2004 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by lec
My fiancee and I are ten years apart too. that is interesting. we had over three years worth of emails, instant messages and phone cards and pictures. We were shocked that we were denied. We met when he was in the US on a tourist visa. They asked me why I waited so long to get engaged, when is waiting two years a long time? they also asked me if the age difference bothered me.

Seems like they think there must be some magic waiting time, huh? If you hurry and do things, they ask you...why did you get engaged/married so fast? How did you know so fast this is the right one? If you take it slow, which makes more sense, they want to know why you waited 2 whole years...geez...lol

Just making an observation,
Rene

jg1012002 Dec 15th 2004 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by lec

We were shocked also. I had all the emails, instant messaging, sms message logs, phone bills, pictures, etc.........but they never even looked at it (for the K-1). By the time we got to Cyprus, I was a little more cautious. I printed every article I could find on the older woman marrying a younger man scenario. When the consular asked me about the age difference, I said that most doctors are recommending that a woman marry a younger man because men die younger, thus the woman in essence has a partner for longer because she married younger -- with this comment I presented the articles written by doctors stating the same. After recovering from his laughing, the consular officer issued the visa.

lec Dec 15th 2004 12:34 pm

I love that idea. I will be using that at our interview after we get married. I feel better knowing I am not the only one going through this crazy experience. It never occured to me that our age difference would be a problem. I am glad your story has a happy ending!!!

Noorah101 Dec 15th 2004 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by lec
I love that idea. I will be using that at our interview after we get married. I feel better knowing I am not the only one going through this crazy experience. It never occured to me that our age difference would be a problem. I am glad your story has a happy ending!!!

My husband and I also have an age difference...I am the USC and I am 14 years older than my husband. When we went for the K-1 interview together, they never mentioned our age difference at all during the interview, and he got his visa with no problem. But when we came to the USA together, and they opened the sealed brown envelope at the POE, I noticed handwritten in big red bold capital letters "14 year age difference" and circled, right on the very first page. So it's not that they didn't make a big note of that fact! lol I'm curious to see if it will come up for discussion at his AOS interview down the road. :)

Rene