Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Old Aug 17th 2018, 9:48 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Originally Posted by Boiler
I though she was not give the opportunity of withdrawing her application to enter?
Sounds like a VWP refusal. It's almost unheard of for a VWP traveler to be allowed to withdraw at an airport port of entry. They'd be withdrawing in lieu exercising the ability to have the matter reviewed during an expedited removal proceeding or of seeing the immigration judge (VWP travelers generally can't do either). So they're nothing for them to withdraw in lieu of when on the VWP.

I am with the posters who suggest that this person wait a long time before trying for another visa. They were previously stuffed back on a plane. The information about what the concerns were are available to the consular officer. The visa applications seem too desperate for just a vacation. Wait until firmly established before trying again.

She could apply again tomorrow, but might as well light the money on fire. Same result, and less impact on future attempts.

Last edited by crg; Aug 17th 2018 at 9:51 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
Did you demonstrate at the interview that you had $9-10K in funds for a 90-day long trip ?
I made half a dozen trips of just under 90 days with just over 90 days in the UK in between those trips, doubt if I ever had that much cash available for all those trips put together. The POE knew that the I was visiting my girlfriend/ wife and although it was never mentioned they must have guessed that my stated address for those trips was residential as opposed to tourist specific. I have been turned away from quite a few places in the past thanks to the fact that I look like a Soho doorman but never had an issue at American customs points (shame the same couldn't be said for their Spanish and German counterparts!!).
Not forgetting that for much of that time I had no UK fixed address ( until I needed one for CR1 process) and was self employed.
One thing I didn't ever feel the need to do was tell the POE those circumstances, might have been a different outcome had they asked though! So whilst it might be preferable to be a two week tourist with a family in tow, a house in the Surrey Green Belt, wads of cash and be the irreplaceable lynchpin at your place of work, none of those things are necessary.

Presumably now that a B visa has been denied the VWP will not be a future option for the OP?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 4:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Presumably now that a B visa has been denied the VWP will not be a future option for the OP?
If the OP lets enough time go by after the visa denial and builds up ties to the UK, an ESTA could get approved.

Rene
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:35 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If the OP lets enough time go by after the visa denial and builds up ties to the UK, an ESTA could get approved.

Rene
Nope. Being refused entry to the US makes the OP ineligible to use the VWP for life. Visa is the only way.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Nope. Being refused entry to the US makes the OP ineligible to use the VWP for life. Visa is the only way.
So with a visa denial under her belt as well that would be two strikes for ineligibility to use the ESTA program..
Old Aug 18th 2018, 12:00 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

So with a visa denial under her belt as well that would be two strikes for ineligibility to use the ESTA program..
A visa denial does not make you ineligible to use the VWP.

All the information is here.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-...r-program-vwp/
Old Aug 18th 2018, 12:39 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

I made half a dozen trips of just under 90 days with just over 90 days in the UK in between those trips, doubt if I ever had that much cash available for all those trips put together. The POE knew that the I was visiting my girlfriend/ wife and although it was never mentioned they must have guessed that my stated address for those trips was residential as opposed to tourist specific. I have been turned away from quite a few places in the past thanks to the fact that I look like a Soho doorman but never had an issue at American customs points (shame the same couldn't be said for their Spanish and German counterparts!!).
Not forgetting that for much of that time I had no UK fixed address ( until I needed one for CR1 process) and was self employed.
One thing I didn't ever feel the need to do was tell the POE those circumstances, might have been a different outcome had they asked though! So whilst it might be preferable to be a two week tourist with a family in tow, a house in the Surrey Green Belt, wads of cash and be the irreplaceable lynchpin at your place of work, none of those things are necessary.

Had you been turned back from one of those trips things would have been different you would have been in her situation.

The opener is never going to get a visa to visit the United States ever again in my opinion. She is just sending good money after bad with further applications she would have stayed in boston forever with these so called friends she has. She never mentioned how she met them has she and it sounds very shady to me. Her postings are very non descriptive. What do her boston mates bring her that english friends and family don't? I am going for a cruise with father TA on QM2 in 4 days I am not worrying about nothing but I don't think i would get a visa if I got turned back being single and not owning my own home and I am older than she is.

Last edited by andyrebell; Aug 18th 2018 at 12:47 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 2:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrebell

The opener is never going to get a visa to visit the United States ever again in my opinion. .
Blimey, thats a strong call to make!
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

The opener is never going to get a visa to visit the United States ever again in my opinion. .
And just what is this opinion based upon, pray tell?
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by az2014
A visa denial does not make you ineligible to use the VWP.

All the information is here.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-...r-program-vwp/
Besides the fact that it's a question asked on the ESTA, CBP use the word 'unlikely' and lump it in with previous removal which is most definitely not a probable denial.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...ration-benefit

Last edited by zzrmark; Aug 18th 2018 at 3:28 pm. Reason: Aargh, why it not post what I type???
Old Aug 18th 2018, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Had you been turned back from one of those trips things would have been different you would have been in her situation.

The opener is never going to get a visa to visit the United States ever again in my opinion. She is just sending good money after bad with further applications she would have stayed in boston forever with these so called friends she has. She never mentioned how she met them has she and it sounds very shady to me. Her postings are very non descriptive. What do her boston mates bring her that english friends and family don't?
Just because someone is shy on details does not make them shady. Presumably you immediately assumed that I was one of the ''great unwashed' because I had no fixed address?

Some of the boats I lived on would make the average property appear to look like a slum dwelling!!

And as several have already pointed out, the OP will have a better chance if she waits a while before reapplying.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 4:21 pm
Banned

andyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond reputeandyrebell has a reputation beyond repute

Just because someone is shy on details does not make them shady. Presumably you immediately assumed that I was one of the ''great unwashed' because I had no fixed address?

Some of the boats I lived on would make the average property appear to look like a slum dwelling!!

And as several have already pointed out, the OP will have a better chance if she waits a while before reapplying.
She may not be shady but the people she is going to meet sound a bit shady to me like a cult or something.
I made that statement based also upon the fact that you say you are self employed ergo having a business you may be able to run from anywhere in the world or do the same business in americaa depending upon what it is and they would know that.

And I made my statement based upon my friend of mine from my NYC days in the mid 00s (I had 18 months. He is english lad who got a girl pregnant did the 90 day in out visa waiver a few times worked when he was in new york worked illegally of course during that time which I don't think they knew. Eventually he got knocked back that was 10 years ago and he has never been able to get a visa since to my knowledge.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 4:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

She may not be shady but the people she is going to meet sound a bit shady to me like a cult or something.
I made that statement based also upon the fact that you say you are self employed ergo having a business you may be able to run from anywhere in the world or do the same business in americaa depending upon what it is and they would know that.

And I made my statement based upon my friend of mine from my NYC days in the mid 00s (I had 18 months. He is english lad who got a girl pregnant did the 90 day in out visa waiver a few times worked when he was in new york worked illegally of course during that time which I don't think they knew. Eventually he got knocked back that was 10 years ago and he has never been able to get a visa since to my knowledge.
And on the basis of that one friend who broke the rules by working illegally, you say that the OP will " never going to get a visa to visit the United States ever again ?"

Old Aug 18th 2018, 5:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And on the basis of that one friend who broke the rules by working illegally, you say that the OP will " never going to get a visa to visit the United States ever again ?"

It seems strange to me they give a visa to the other poster who may or may not have come close to grooming a teenager online and persons with criminal records who have been in jail and yet deny a visa in these cases.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 5:12 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
Originally Posted by Tireesix
So I sorted out my ESTA, return tickets getting me home 86 days in, got to Boston only to be denied entrance as they decided I was there to work.
Due to the previous VWP refusal, the US government will never intentionally approve the ESTA or allow VWP travel. If for some reason the ESTA was approved it would be in error and would likely result in another refusal upon arrival. The prior refusal (likely for INA section 212(a)(7)(A)(i)(I)) makes the person ineligible for VWP travel and that can only be overcome with a successful visa application.

Per 22 CFR 41.2

" (2) An alien denied admission under the Visa Waiver Program by virtue of a ground of inadmissibility described in INA section 212(a) that is discovered at the time of the alien's application for admission at a port of entry or through use of an automated electronic database may apply for a visa as the only means of challenging such a determination. "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.