Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Tireesix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

I wish I had come here first.

I was invited to stay with a friend and his family for a few months. I have had a rough few years and he wanted to give me the space and support to just relax and experience being a part of a normal family. So I sorted out my ESTA, return tickets getting me home 86 days in, got to Boston only to be denied entrance as they decided I was there to work. They said to just get home and apply for a visitor visor.

Which I have done but now I find out B visas aren't easy to get, especially so soon after entry denial.

My interview is on Friday.

What are my options if this fails? I am truly gutted. Myy first ever real holiday is absolutely ruined, others have been left disappointed because we were all supposed to meet up at various points.

Any advice for interview and after would be welcome.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:40 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

You likely will be denied unless your circumstances have significantly changed since your refusal at the border. Why did they think you were here to work? What was said? Or did they they go through your bags and find things that could suggest you were coming here to work? Note that in the eyes of the immigration authorities even coming to stay with someone and “helping out” to “earn your keep” such as babysitting their kids, cleaning, gardening, painting and decorating, etc is considered work and forbidden as a visitor.

If youre denied, you’re denied. Not much can be done then except a trip to a travel agency to find another destination for your holidays. There are lots of beautiful places to see in the world. Why were you so keen to see this person and for so long? I think you tripped yourself up with having a planned stay of so long. What work do you do that allows so much time off and pays enough for you to keep your bills and rent paid whilst you are gone?
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

It was a chance of a lifetime for me so I went for it, I had been saving up money anyway, he said to just sort out the plane ticket and he would sort out the rest, my accomodation here is secure, for that period of time, I was quitting my job anyway and my degree for some periods of time can be studied out of country. It was the ideal time to go away to a place where I would meet numerous other people I network with. I can't do that elsewhere in the world.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

The ESTA allows up to 90 days so perhaps you said something that made officer suspicious
Did you mention the study
Helping out friends
Also what age are you

Chances are Friday will not go the way you hoped with a visa denial and a refused entry
Good luck though, you could get lucky, this still does not guarantee entry through, just the ability to board the flight
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

I have a feeling it was beause I was tired after being awake so damned long and myself being a mid 30s female travelling on her own to visit a male friend for a number of months with no real tourist outings planned everything just came out and sounded wrong. I am not a touristy person, my idea of a great holiday doesn't seem to match up with others and I guess I am paying for it.

I had clothes, I had dollars cash, dollars on a travel card and money in my bank account, a place to stay. I made sure I had everything ready and then I just failed there. I am somewhat upset.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

What is done is done, sounds like you made it sound like you were moving, you had a return ticket.

Holiday somewhere else is the obvious answer.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

It wasn't a holiday kinda holiday, it was a time out for a couple of months with a group of people, I can't exactly get what I was getting there anywhere else so its not like I can just go holiday somewhere else when all the reasons I was going are in that 1 place.

He offered me some time with he, his family and to visit other friends in the area with people coming in to visit us plus goings on there that don't happen elsewhere that I wanted to attend.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Time for a re think.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Just going to have to wait it out I guess.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In order to get the visa, you are going to have to prove that you have ties to your home country. Unfortunately, you don't have employment as you quit your job to travel. Do you rent an apartment? Do you have a lease? Bring whatever you have that proves your intent to return to the UK. You said you had plans to meet up with other people while you were visiting? Do you have those plans in writing with these people? You also used the word "networking" which is a means of seeking employment. While seeking/networking is not illegal, if asked about it you answer honestly that you are meeting up with your peers in the US. Be aware that your conversation at the POE was probably recorded in some manner and might well be available to the Consular Officer interviewing you. So don't lie. If you said you had a boyfriend in the US, then if asked you confirm that. Wishing you the best.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

I'm not sure what word to use other than networking lol, we all link in together from different disciplines as friends and acquaintances.

I have a rental agreement, could probably get a letter from my landlady, she lives next door and will be looking after my cats plus I have to come back for tutorials anyway.

As for meeting up over there, no one is making real plans til I am there. I can't say I am going to x, y and z until I know I am going, a lot will be going to 1 event where I would be staying which is the last grind in of the year and is over 3days. The person who started training me online is planning a couple visits to get technique tight. So there are plans....... but nothing being set in stone or put in diaries til I am there.

Last edited by Tireesix; Aug 8th 2018 at 3:20 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:14 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Something must have given them a reason to think you would be working. When asked purpose of visit what was your answer? I never had a problem entering on my B2 and only ever stated 'pleasure' as my purpose. Did they ask about your ties back home, if you currently have a job etc?

Anyway at your interview first thing they will ask is your current employment, length, salary (to confirm what you put on DS160). As you dont have any, and you got denied entry due to possible work, its going to be an easy denial most likely.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, you had a few strikes against you from the start: No job to return to in the UK, a lengthy visit with a male friend in the USA, and "networking" which the term is usually work-related.

In order to overcome that VWP entry denial, you'd need to prove that you have ties to the UK that you MUST return to (no job, no strong tie), and that you don't plan on working illegally or overstaying your time in the USA. I think it will be hard to prove this, and your B will likely be denied.

After that, you should develop stronger ties to the UK and then about a year later, try the VWP again, if you still wish to have some time in the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

The problems all started when they asked who I was staying with and when I said "a friend" then a barrage of questions started and it didn't help that I am not there for normal touristy adventures I suppose.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tireesix View Post
The problems all started when they asked who I was staying with and when I said "a friend" then a barrage of questions started and it didn't help that I am not there for normal touristy adventures I suppose.
Why weren't you here for normal touristy things? Have you been to the US before? You said yourself this was to be your first trip to the US. So you are seeing a new country, meeting new people, having new travel adventures. This is what a tourist does.

Something in my gut tells me that you gave the impression that you were here in the US for reasons other than taking a break and restoring your mental health as you claimed you were doing. There was no reason to talk to the Custom and Border Officer about networking. Any talk about meeting up with "The person who started training me online is planning a couple visits to get technique tight" is clear indication that you were going to work while in the US which is not allowed.

The C&B O can make any assumptions they wish. In your case, perhaps it was a matter of talking too much and not holding to the tried and true adage that you only answer the question asked and not expand on it.

Again, I wish you luck on Friday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.