Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Old Aug 11th 2018, 1:54 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Denial at entrance and subsequent B visa application

Originally Posted by Tireesix
A good few years? For a B visa? Thats not what the guy said yesterday.
Do you think he would rather tell the truth that you wont be getting a visa any time soon (as in a year or two) and potentially have you questioning and arguing at the window or tell you try again in a couple months and have you just walk away?

You are just way too desperate.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is that I'm speechless with the prognosis that she should not reapply for 3 years. Why? She doesn't have a criminal history. She was refused entry and now a visa refusal. Why couldn't she reapply sooner, say in a year, if she has a lease, a job to come back to, and is only going for 2 or 3 weeks?
Old Aug 11th 2018, 3:05 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
All I can say is that I'm speechless with the prognosis that she should not reapply for 3 years. Why? She doesn't have a criminal history. She was refused entry and now a visa refusal. Why couldn't she reapply sooner, say in a year, if she has a lease, a job to come back to, and is only going for 2 or 3 weeks?
Nothing stopping her from reapplying in a year's time but I very much doubt that an ESTA would be approved; and a year doesn't really give her a lot of time to establish solid UK ties for another visa application, pretty much from scratch.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 4:05 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Can the boyfriend and friends not come to you? You could have a fun time travelling through the U.K. and Europe together.
Old Aug 11th 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It is not clear if the applicant has demonstrated if she has funds for the duration of the trip, i.e. the $100/day standard, or about $9000-10000 in her case for ~90 days. From the visa officer's perspective, the arrangements are a pay for work one, since she's getting paid a notional $6000 (~$70/day in accommodation) in the form of a claimed arrangement to stay with someone.

A much shorter trip, with her own funds demonstrated in full, with a job and proof of UK accommodation, would work. US and UK don't appear to have any sort of Youth Mobility or Working Visa program, which would have been the sole appropriate option for OP's plans.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I though she was not give the opportunity of withdrawing her application to enter?
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Training in my area is gym, weights, martial arts that kind of thing.
Whilst you have an existing connection to people in the US, it seems unlikely that there are not similar communities in other places around the world. You may not have open offers of accommodation elsewhere, but a working holiday visa to, say, Oz or Canada would allow you room to support yourself.

In my experience, the fight community is very supportive. I have walked into gyms in different states and countries--with and without a slender personal connection--and been greeted with open arms. I would encourage you to reach out to like-minded people in different countries to see if you can reinvent this break elsewhere.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

For what it’s worth the way OP has described this holiday strikes me as deliberately evasive and obtuse.

If that was how they approached the interviews I’m not surprised they aroused suspicion.

”not a typical holiday”, “networking with other people you can’t do anywhere else in the world”, “goings on there that don’t happen elsewhere”, “a person who trained me visiting to get technique tight”

These all make it sound like OPs joining a cult or a pyramid scheme.

Regardless of what happens, next time OP is in this position I think they’ll need to make an effort to be clearer and more open about what it is they’re actually planning to do in the USA.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Tireesix is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend, this friend does not live elsewhere in the world.

Why networking "has" to go hand in hand with jobs I don't know, why training for martial arts on line is automatically seen as training for a job I don't know.

Not typical holiday, ie I am not going to be going around looking at the local tourist hotspots.

LMAO @ cult and pyramid scheme.

What was offered, which was not work, cannot be simply replaced with a trip elsewhere with different people.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:33 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Why networking "has" to go hand in hand with jobs I don't know, why training for martial arts on line is automatically seen as training for a job I don't know.

Not typical holiday, ie I am not going to be going around looking at the local tourist hotspots.

What was offered, which was not work, cannot be simply replaced with a trip elsewhere with different people.
Get the same people to visit you in a different place then. Why can't they meet you halfway in somewhere like Canada, as I already mentioned?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Well whether you know or not, I think the reality is networking does go hand with business and jobs so I'd stop talking about that for a start.

Secondly you need to be much more specific about "what was offered"

What is being offered? Are you just staying with this guy for 3 months for a holiday, or are you taking training course?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw your posts earlier before you deleted them. The reason everyone is looking for signs of employment is because that is what the immigration officer is looking for.

'Networking' doesn't HAVE to go hand-in-hand with work but 9 times out of 10 it DOES.

Nobody on this forum wants to stop you visiting the US. We're just pointing out why you were denied.

1. You have no job in the UK to return to.
2. You have no home to return to.
3. You are receiving payment in kind. Free accommodation can be viewed as payment in kind.
4. You mentioned 'networking'. Big red flag.
5. You plan to stay for the maximum time allowed.

Any one of these points is sufficient to raise the suspicions of the IO. That's their job and they do it a thousand times a day so are very good at it.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Tireesix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chawkins99
I saw your posts earlier before you deleted them. The reason everyone is looking for signs of employment is because that is what the immigration officer is looking for.

'Networking' doesn't HAVE to go hand-in-hand with work but 9 times out of 10 it DOES.

Nobody on this forum wants to stop you visiting the US. We're just pointing out why you were denied.

1. You have no job in the UK to return to.
2. You have no home to return to.
3. You are receiving payment in kind. Free accommodation can be viewed as payment in kind.
4. You mentioned 'networking'. Big red flag.
5. You plan to stay for the maximum time allowed.

Any one of these points is sufficient to raise the suspicions of the IO. That's their job and they do it a thousand times a day so are very good at it.
Networking was only ever mentioned here, not at the border. All they were told at the border was that I was staying with a friend for an extended holiday for R+R.
I have a home to come back to, I am currently sat in it with my cats.

I was offered sanctuary for a couple of months by people who know me, who have been through the same things and who help people like me. My family and friends were desperate for me to go because it was something they all know I need it (which was why it was offered). It was an ideal time for me to go because I was quitting my job anyway.

Its done, just have to live with it and hope can sort it in future.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

sun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond reputesun_burn has a reputation beyond repute

Did you demonstrate at the interview that you had $9-10K in funds for a 90-day long trip ?
Old Aug 13th 2018, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

Its done, just have to live with it and hope can sort it in future.
Hopefully you will be a lot better prepared, far less cryptic/evasive and much clearer in your meaning/explanations when you next attempt to visit the US.

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.