Delaying Plans

Old Aug 26th 2011, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

NatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really nice
Default Delaying Plans

Well looks like we'll be delaying our plans to move back but we will eventually move. There was an accident with our son at a daycare which made us rethink our childcare plans. So my husband is giving up his part time job to stay home with our son. Obviously our income will go down so will our savings plan. We were hoping to go before April next year but it might be October next year now, which sucks because of the new immigration rules. Anyway my question really is we have a couple of thousand to pay off our credit card I was hoping to do this before we move but was wondering if it was possible to still make payments internationally? The same with my husbands student loan. How does it work internationally?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 1:40 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delaying Plans

I hope your little one is OK, it's scary when they get hurt. and you aren't there to see to them right away.
We are trying to figure out the loan part too. Ds has two student loans and he closed his US bank account before leaving If he had left it open he could have transferred money each month with Xe or even paypal and paid it online through the bank.
We have found out that one loan (Perkins loan) can be paid online with mastercard on the website, so he can get a CC and do that.
I paid our US Mastercard from UK for a year, I used to get a check in $ from the bank each month I only needed 3 or 4 to pay it off, then we stopped using it. I don't remember what the bank charged me for doing that.

www.uk-yankees.com has more info on loans etc as a lot of them went to Uni in the US before moving.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

NatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really niceNatalieLucy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I hope your little one is OK, it's scary when they get hurt. and you aren't there to see to them right away.
Thanks, yes he's doing a lot better. Poor baby got burned on his head the daycare lady was very careless and was holding my son while taking boiling water out of the microwave. Suffice to say we were not happy we decided one parent should be home.

Yeah we plan on leaving our US account open and transferring money via paypal. The good thing is we'll be able to pay more of his student loan off in the UK due to the exchange rate. Did you postpone payments on everything until you found a job?
Old Aug 26th 2011, 4:02 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We are still in US Only our oldest son moved back so far, He's been putting the money into a UK account for me and I've been making his payments. He was planning to visit and I hoped he'd open a new US account while we are still here (I don't know if he can do that from UK) Then he can transfer and make the payments himself. Kids! Number 2 son moves after high school next june and Dh Dd and I follow soon after
Old Aug 26th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

LaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really niceLaraCS is just really nice

Originally Posted by NatalieLucy
Well looks like we'll be delaying our plans to move back but we will eventually move. There was an accident with our son at a daycare which made us rethink our childcare plans. So my husband is giving up his part time job to stay home with our son. Obviously our income will go down so will our savings plan. We were hoping to go before April next year but it might be October next year now, which sucks because of the new immigration rules. Anyway my question really is we have a couple of thousand to pay off our credit card I was hoping to do this before we move but was wondering if it was possible to still make payments internationally? The same with my husbands student loan. How does it work internationally?
I'm sorry to hear about your little one. I can't help with your question but wish you the best of luck with your plans.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:32 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

When we left we kept estimated sufficient cash in a check account of the same US bank that issued the US CC. Then we just paid US bill by US CC from UK and electronically online transferred the funds from checking to the CC account monthly.

Last edited by J.J; Aug 26th 2011 at 8:34 am.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 10:13 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

You really should sue the daycare place. Firstly, to make them take more care in future. Secondally, you can use the money for the move. It's pretty terrible what happened but I'm glad the little one is OK. But they do deserve to be sued.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Squirrel
You really should sue the daycare place. Firstly, to make them take more care in future. Secondally, you can use the money for the move. It's pretty terrible what happened but I'm glad the little one is OK. But they do deserve to be sued.
So true there.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:34 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Any news on these? Certain changes etc. ? From what I've seen, it doesn't sound good for those of us married to non Brits.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Any news on these? Certain changes etc. ? From what I've seen, it doesn't sound good for those of us married to non Brits.
We won't find out the extent of the changes until likely next year.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
We won't find out the extent of the changes until likely next year.
Any chance of a link to the latest news on those
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

not sure, but the changes being referred to could be the 1's mentioned in this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724762 which refers to an immigration consultation which is going on at the moment details of which can be found here : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...ily-migration/