Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Declaration for vawa self petitioner

Declaration for vawa self petitioner

Old Jun 1st 2005, 7:24 pm
Lostsoul

Default Declaration for vawa self petitioner

Does anyone have a draft for declaration for vawa.

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Declaration for vawa self petitioner

Originally Posted by Lostsoul

I'm confused. Do you mean the form I-360?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:00 am
Just Joined

jessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant future

A self petitioner's declaration is also an affidavit. Explain in your own words to describe the history and nature of your relationship and residence with the abuser, history and nature of the abuse, and the ways to show good moral character. If you need to write your own, a good declaration contains the following :

Section on her relationship to the abuser
• How, when, and where the applicant met the spouse.
• Describe the courtship before they married.
• Details about the marriage proposal and wedding day.
• If children, when were they born?

Section on residence with the abuser
• When they moved in together.
• Places where they lived together.
• How long they lived in each place together.

Section on domestic violence
• HOW and WHEN spouse began abusive behavior;
• How long into marriage did spouse's behavior change?
• Was behavior change sudden or gradual?
• Focus on FIRST, WORST, and LAST incidents;
• Include both PHYSICAL and PSYCHOLOGICAL abuse.
• Was substance abuse involved?
• What led up to the incidents?
• Did applicant call the police? If not, why not?
• If police were called, was abuser arrested? If not, why not?
• Did the applicant go to a doctor or hospital?
• Did applicant get a restraining order? If so, when?
• Did anyone witness the violence?
• Describe any sexual abuse.
• Describe any verbal abuse, including insults.
• Describe any abuse based on economic power.
• Describe any effect on children.
• Describe any threats by the abuser to turn the applicant into the INS or have her deported.

Section on good moral character
• Lack of problems with the law.
• Position in, contributions to community.
• Role in the positive development of her children.
• More extensive explanation of good moral character if needed to counterbalance any
problems showing good moral character

Goodluck!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 6:26 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In addition to this excellent post, be sure that you can back up the abuse and incidents you described with proof, i.e. police reports, letters from doctors, hospitals, neighbors, friends, etc. Also you will need physical documentation to submit with the form and that is often times quite difficult for the foreign spouse to obtain if they are not living at home, i.e. USC birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.

So if you are abused and are planning to leave and are NOT in immediate fear of your life at the hands of the abuser then read the requirements on the documentation required and when you can spirit them away so that you have them ready when you need to file.

Originally Posted by jessie126
A self petitioner's declaration is also an affidavit. Explain in your own words to describe the history and nature of your relationship and residence with the abuser, history and nature of the abuse, and the ways to show good moral character. If you need to write your own, a good declaration contains the following :

Section on her relationship to the abuser
• How, when, and where the applicant met the spouse.
• Describe the courtship before they married.
• Details about the marriage proposal and wedding day.
• If children, when were they born?

Section on residence with the abuser
• When they moved in together.
• Places where they lived together.
• How long they lived in each place together.

Section on domestic violence
• HOW and WHEN spouse began abusive behavior;
• How long into marriage did spouse's behavior change?
• Was behavior change sudden or gradual?
• Focus on FIRST, WORST, and LAST incidents;
• Include both PHYSICAL and PSYCHOLOGICAL abuse.
• Was substance abuse involved?
• What led up to the incidents?
• Did applicant call the police? If not, why not?
• If police were called, was abuser arrested? If not, why not?
• Did the applicant go to a doctor or hospital?
• Did applicant get a restraining order? If so, when?
• Did anyone witness the violence?
• Describe any sexual abuse.
• Describe any verbal abuse, including insults.
• Describe any abuse based on economic power.
• Describe any effect on children.
• Describe any threats by the abuser to turn the applicant into the INS or have her deported.

Section on good moral character
• Lack of problems with the law.
• Position in, contributions to community.
• Role in the positive development of her children.
• More extensive explanation of good moral character if needed to counterbalance any
problems showing good moral character

Goodluck!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jessie126
If you need to write your own, a good declaration contains the following...
What an excellent post... lucid and considered! Karma for you.

Ian
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

jessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant futurejessie126 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What an excellent post... lucid and considered! Karma for you.

Ian

Thank you, both. I did a lot of research on VAWA to help a good friend of mine. I'm not an expert but I thought I could help by providing some information. And VAWA is a very complex case.

J
Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:23 pm
Lostsoul

Can you help me with the declaration?

Old Jun 19th 2005, 7:24 pm
Lostsoul

I need to prepare the self declaration for my I 360.

Old Jun 19th 2005, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

There are lots of resources out there for battered women if but look. Many of them can either help you with a VAWA or get you to people who can -- for little or no cost.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:46 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Can you help me with the declaration?

You were given excellent guidelines for doing it yourself and if you are unsure of what to write then follow Mr. Folinskyinla's excellent suggestion and find assistance locally to help you write your declaration. A self-help group such as this cannot really assist you in such an important writing. There are intimate details that only you know and you should be speaking to someone from a not-for-profit organization to assist you if you cannot afford an attorney. Check out the USCIS website for pro bono attorneys they have a list of some people there who will assist for no fee. Also check the abused women's hotline by making a simple call. They have a list of agencies for women or men in this position.

Good luck
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:10 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Check out the USCIS website for pro bono attorneys they have a list of some people there who will assist for no fee.
Here's a start, anyway.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/lawsregs/advice.htm
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:47 am
Just Joined

I need to prepare the self declaration for my I 360.
Hi

It's like writing your story. But you have to give details how everything started. From marriage, start of abuse, any police reports, medical reports..stuff like that. I can't give you an exact detail of a declaration but only you would know. Also, like Rete and Mr. Folinskyinla suggested to speak to a non-profit organization or if you have a lawyer, he/she can help you prepare your declaration. Here is an example. I hope this helps :

INS
Attn:
Vermont Service Center
123 street
city, state

I, lostsoul, hereby declare :

My name is lostsoul, I met my husband/wife in..... (tell your story and should come in your own words and reflect your own thoughts)

I hereby declare under penalty......

and have it notarized.

But before submitting this to INS, you need to have your declaration reviewed by your attorney or any non-profit organization. Plus, you should have proof of any abuse that you will submit to the INS.

Goodluck to you!

Jessie
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

hazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud ofhazeleyes has much to be proud of

Hi there I just noticed your post. I too am filing the I 360 petition and have just written my declaration.

H. E.