Decisions for which State

Old Feb 27th 2020, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Lyko_13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decisions for which State

Hello everyone,

I've recently decided I'd like to move to the US in a few years, (currently taking an Audio visual Technician Apprenticeship) I've been researching and looking at the pros and cons of various States. I'm trifled on which one to really decide on, here are a few options I've been looking at, - Virginia( possibly Richmond) Utah ( Salt lake or surrounding) or Maryland.
If anyone has any other recommendations/ information it would be welcome.
Here's some info about me:
Single Male, currently 27
AV technician apprentice, ( with catering and electrical experience)
Enjoys Golf, music, food, beekeeping, keeping active, seeing new things

Many thanks,
Luke
Old Feb 27th 2020, 9:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Decisions for which State

Originally Posted by Lyko_13
Hello everyone,

I've recently decided I'd like to move to the US in a few years, (currently taking an Audio visual Technician Apprenticeship) I've been researching and looking at the pros and cons of various States. I'm trifled on which one to really decide on, here are a few options I've been looking at, - Virginia( possibly Richmond) Utah ( Salt lake or surrounding) or Maryland.

Many thanks,
Luke

Before any of that, have you looked at possible ways of obtaining a visa?
Old Feb 27th 2020, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone,

Many thanks,
Luke
Hi, welcome to BE.

Just checking, but are you a US citizen? So have the freedom to move anywhere/anytime?

Any more info to help people narrow it down for you, what made you choose those three states out of the 50?
Old Feb 27th 2020, 9:49 am
Just Joined

I'm a UK resident from birth, looking into it, I think an E-3 Visa would be a suitable option for getting a visa, I would have to look for a job/company that would sponsor me.
​​​​​​After looking online and on various articles, a few of those states seem like good choices in terms of, work/life balance, safety , price etc but I'm always looking into it.
I will plan a trip to one of them next year to actually see what it's actually like.

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2020, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a UK resident from birth, looking into it, I think an E-3 Visa would be a suitable option for getting a visa, I would have to look for a job/company that would sponsor me.
​​​​​​After looking online and on various articles, a few of those states seem like good choices in terms of, work/life balance, safety , price etc but I'm always looking into it.
I will plan a trip to one of them next year to actually see what it's actually like.

Cheers
Sorry to be blunt, but your chances of a visa/sponsoring employer are slim at best given what you've said. Could you may look at it as a long term plan, get yourself a degree and work yourself in to a more senior position?

Realistically, if you do somehow manage to convince a US employer to sponsor you for a visa (as above, unlikely, given there are plenty of people in the US that they can hire without spending $10k or so, and waiting months for), you will just need to be prepared to go wherever the job is, and so I really wouldn't worry about location just yet as you may not get any choice in the matter.

Do also research life in the US as well, there are plenty of threads on the forum about the cost of living and work/life balance (particularly the vacation allowance of 10 days that is standard) that would be worth reading.

Would you consider elsewhere? If you want North American life then Canada would be a heck of a lot easier visa wise?

Best of luck.

Old Feb 27th 2020, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply,
thats a fair point, cheers for bringing me back down to earth hah, I assumed you could get in just by having a trade under your belt but I suppose not!
10 days holiday, hell, bet that's an offputter for most.
I did look at Canada actually, as a viable place but not sure I could tolerate the 6 month winters they apparently have over there.
Thanks for the info
Old Feb 27th 2020, 10:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks for the reply,
thats a fair point, cheers for bringing me back down to earth hah, I assumed you could get in just by having a trade under your belt but I suppose not!
10 days holiday, hell, bet that's an offputter for most.
I did look at Canada actually, as a viable place but not sure I could tolerate the 6 month winters they apparently have over there.
Thanks for the info
Most countries do welcome trades, unfortunately the US isn't among them. Here's info on all of the various visa routes for the US - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...rk_in_the_USA_

Canada doesn't have 6 months winters, it does have long winters in some parts, but other parts (such as coastal BC) are very temperate, very rarely even get snow. Canadian summers are lovely too! You would have very easy visa options available to you if you did decide Canada might be worth a try (as an example, you could apply now for a working holiday visa, and potentially be out there in about 3 months time with a 2 year open work permit in your hand).

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 10:26 am
Just Joined

Thankyou,
I appreciate your feedback!
Old Feb 27th 2020, 1:12 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, you have it the wrong way around. The job offer will determine where you live, not the other way around.

Needs to be a multi year plan, or consider some of the other countries that have points based system like Oz.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 1:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou,
I appreciate your feedback!
Based on the information in your first post, there is one possibility open to you. It is unlikely to be easy, and there are a few variant possibilities, but they explain why several active members of British Expats are loving in the US, including me.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 27th 2020 at 1:29 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 1:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a UK resident from birth, looking into it, I think an E-3 Visa would be a suitable option for getting a visa,

Cheers
I believe that is for Australians.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 2:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I believe that is for Australians.
With a degree and a job that requires one.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 2:26 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you have watched 'love actually'

Take a trip, meet an American, fall in love, get married, move to the States.

Pick somewhere warm.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

AV Tech - any chance of getting in to the TV & Film industry? Georgia has a decent film industry, may take a number of years to get the right experience though.