Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Damaged immigrant visa envelope - Help

Damaged immigrant visa envelope - Help

Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

adamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Damaged immigrant visa envelope - Help

I have just collected my immigrant visa package from the courier depot. When I took out the envelope from the plastic bag, I found with shock a big tear on the bottom edge of the envelope, see picture attached. The tear is about 70% long and I can see papers inside.
I am really panicking, since I am due to travel in 8 days. I have already contacted the Embassy through the online form, but they say that they can take up to 5 days to reply!!!

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What should I do?

Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damaged immigrant visa envelope - Help

You need to get to the Embassy and have the package re-packaged. You cannot take that through the POE. Is there any other way to contact the US Embassy other than the method you tried, i.e. phone number, etc.?
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

adamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond repute

No, unfortunately I have not found any other way to contact them. They sent a paper with instructions together with the passport, and they specifically say to contact them only through the online form if the package is damaged.
I live 4 hours away from London, but I'd rather go there in person and have them give me back the package than sending it back and forth again by courier.

It looks like it has been cut on purpose!!! It is not ripped or anything, but neatly cut along the edge! How is that even possible?
Old Jun 18th 2018, 12:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I found this thread from last year about a wife who was curious and opened it herself ... guess she couldn't read English.

Unfortunately, it doesn't really say how they contacted the US Embassy but only they can solve your problem

Immigrant visa issued - US London Embassy contact needed

Looks like it was cut by accident. It is not a neat slit.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

I phoned the Embassy, but I was told that the visa team does not take direct calls and the only way is the online form...I just hope they get back quickly...

I don't understand who and how cut the envelope, certainly it wasn't me, and the plastic bag from the courier was absolutely intact.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 1:08 pm
Concierge

It happened somewhere between the Consulate office and the courier's office who then placed it in their sealed pouch and delivered it. Mystery will never be solved as to how it happened. We are only concerned that you can have it resealed in time for your flight in 8 days. I hope your tickets are exchangeable.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

What if the Embassy questions that I have tampered myself with the envelope and deny me the visa? I am really freaking out...and the wait to have an answer from them is unbearable.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 2:24 pm
Concierge

As my link to you shows, people have been known to open the envelope themselves. If you did or you didn't, doesn't matter. It still needs to be resealed and the visa is still valid.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Any clue of how long it could take? On other forums I found posts by people saying that it can take several weeks or months, or they could even refuse to reseal it.
Old Jun 18th 2018, 6:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've not heard of any case where they refused to reseal it. You will send it back in or drop it off, they will have to recheck the documents to verify everything is there and not tampered with, seal it again, and send it out via courier again. Don't know how long it might take, depends on their workload, but plan a worst case scenario of 6 to 8 weeks, just in case, and be pleasantly surprised if it's quicker.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2018, 6:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adamas
I live 4 hours away from London, but I'd rather go there in person and have them give me back the package than sending it back and forth again by courier.
My guess is that they probably won't do this while you wait. But just a guess.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Well, 6 to 8 weeks is actually a terrible news...My job starts in a month time and I have already made arrangements such as the flight and a rental apartment. This whole process has been really killing me...

Is your timeframe and the way this process works based on actual experiences you heard of?
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by adamas
Is your timeframe and the way this process works based on actual experiences you heard of?
Just reports I've read on here over the years. There is a search function, maybe you can find the posts. Doesn't happen to often so I only know of a couple of cases, they were a long time ago, timelines can change. Is this an employment based immigrant visa? If so, I'm sure your company will understand the delay.

Our advice is typically to NOT get your ticket until you have the visa safely in hand.

Rene
Old Jun 18th 2018, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just reports I've read on here over the years. There is a search function, maybe you can find the posts. Doesn't happen to often so I only know of a couple of cases, they were a long time ago, timelines can change. Is this an employment based immigrant visa? If so, I'm sure your company will understand the delay.

Our advice is typically to NOT get your ticket until you have the visa safely in hand.

Rene
Yes, it is employment based, even though I have to pay for the relocation expenses on my own, including the flight. This is actually the reason why I have already booked the flight.
Once I saw on the CEAC website that the visa was issued, I booked the flight since I found a good deal with a discount expiring soon. It seems that, at least, the ticket is exchangeable for a fee.

Rather than my employer, I am myself fed up with this wait and cannot bear it any longer.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 6:02 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that it needs to be sealed? Does it contain a medical report?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.