Dallas Texas - H1B

Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

saucyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dallas Texas - H1B

Hello all,

I have just registered and wondered if someone could help, I have been approached by a company in Dallas TX to work for them and they are sponsoring my H1B.
Could anyone give me any tips about processing, what should I expect at the interview in London at the US embassy.
Any tips on Dallas, the company is in Richardson, any tips on where i should get an apartment?
the big question UK or USA - Brits in USA , is it a good move, I have been USA and love it, but to live is it better than UK?

SB
Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:15 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dallas Texas - H1B

Originally Posted by saucyboy
Hello all,

I have just registered and wondered if someone could help, I have been approached by a company in Dallas TX to work for them and they are sponsoring my H1B.
Could anyone give me any tips about processing, what should I expect at the interview in London at the US embassy.
Any tips on Dallas, the company is in Richardson, any tips on where i should get an apartment?
the big question UK or USA - Brits in USA , is it a good move, I have been USA and love it, but to live is it better than UK?

SB
If the company know what they are doing, the H1b interview is a formality.

Make sure you sort out all the important things in writing, e.g. working hours, bonuses and vacation entitlement.If you think you may want to stay permanently, get a written promise that they'll start the GC process. Actually, get that even if you think that you don't want to stay permanently...

No idea about Dallas, but I hear that Texas is very different from the UK...

As to which is better - there have been zillions on threads on this topic. Anyway, I don't think it is necessarily a question of one being better - it all depends on what you want out of life.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:33 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
If you think you may want to stay permanently, get a written promise that they'll start the GC process. Actually, get that even if you think that you don't want to stay permanently...

but be prepared to wait for it to ever appear
the GC that is
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul S
but be prepared to wait for it to ever appear
the GC that is
Well, yes, the H1b category is very important - but I don't think there is much that can be done about that.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

The company said they will process my GC after 6 months of being with them...as a uk citizen how fast will it come through?
Also if I transfer my H1 visa to another company after 1 year will I have to re-apply for the GC again?

SB
Old Mar 17th 2007, 3:48 pm
Homebody

The company said they will process my GC after 6 months of being with them...as a uk citizen how fast will it come through?
Also if I transfer my H1 visa to another company after 1 year will I have to re-apply for the GC again?

SB
Which category are you going to be - EB1, EB2 or EB3?

Search for 'retrogression' to get an idea.

Not sure about switching companies - try Immigration Portal - lots of H1bs posting there.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:08 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

labor cert is relatively quick with the new system. Mine took about 3 months start to finish that was just about a year ago. If your in EB3 then be prepared for LONG wait (unless something really miraculous happens ). I've got a date of April 2006 and they are still only processing mid 2002 applications. Rumour has it that those dates will more than likely regress even further come May this year or just become completely unavailable:curse:
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

labor cert - how do i apply for this, do I tell the immigration lawyer at the time?
not sure about the other categories, i think its maybe a eb2

SB
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:07 pm
Homebody

labor cert - how do i apply for this, do I tell the immigration lawyer at the time?

SB
OMG you had better get up to speed! All this is a minefield - cautionary tales abound, see here for instance:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=187

As I said, Immigration Portal is the best site for in-depth information and stories relating to H1bs.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

I did a search , Labour cert -PERM process looks quickest - hopfully I can apply under this, I'll speak to the lawyers when my company applys for me

thanx for all you help guys

SB
Old Mar 17th 2007, 6:48 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Hi

I did a search , Labour cert -PERM process looks quickest - hopfully I can apply under this, I'll speak to the lawyers when my company applys for me

thanx for all you help guys

SB
I thought PERM was the norm these days, its certainly what mine went through. If yours is EB2 (masters degree, required for job), then that is currently open so it should be quicker as you'll at least be able to file for the AOS

To see the current info on 'groups' that are open take a look here
http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_1360.html
Old Mar 18th 2007, 1:33 am
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

SB
What makes you think it's EB-2? What is the job title and educational requirements for it?
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:19 am
a2rjh

On Mar 17, 8:06 am, saucyboy <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have just registered and wondered if someone could help, I have been
> approached by a company in Dallas TX to work for them and they are
> sponsoring my H1B.
> Could anyone give me any tips about processing, what should I expect at
> the interview in London at the US embassy.
> Any tips on Dallas, the company is in Richardson, any tips on where i
> should get an apartment?
> the big question UK or USA - Brits in USA , is it a good move, I have
> been USA and love it, but to live is it better than UK?
>
> SB
>
> --
> Posted viahttp://britishexpats.com

is the company in dallas (dfw area) or richardson? the two are
completely different cities. richardson is a satellite city. depending
on traffic, approx. 30-40 min. drive from dfw airport.
so, your living accomodation will be quite different, depending on
where "your" office is going to be.

texas is big. so, if you are going to depend mainly on public
transportation (as in buses, cabs or the tube) you are in for a
surprise. there is a rapid transit tram (dart) from richardson, but
not as comprehensive as the tube system. lots of asian and richardson
is primarily telecom and it companies.

Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

I have a BSc Computer Science going in as an AiX Systems Administrator with 10 yrs experience. How can i check what group I come under EB1/2/3? is there a website for this?

Yes I checked Richardson on google earth its 30/40mins drive from DFW airport, well thats where the company address is, do you know if i can catch a metro(tube) to that location from the airport?

Is Dallas safe, are there any no-go areas? any other tips on moving to usa-dallas would be most appreciated

Sb
Old Mar 18th 2007, 2:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't think that a trip to check the area before
you moved here was a good idea ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.