British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Customs form What if you consume duty free onboard cruise ship in transit to US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/customs-form-what-if-you-consume-duty-free-onboard-cruise-ship-transit-us-853618/)

johnnybrown532 Mar 1st 2015 10:58 am

Customs form What if you consume duty free onboard cruise ship in transit to US?

Just getting everything lined up for this trip only a few more weeks now. Got a question over the customs form.

One form per family I know that and I know the limits on the forms with drink tabacco and money and no fruit/veg. I have read the site several times. What if however duty free is bought during the cruise and consumed onboard the ship before arrival and it likely will be. Should such purchases be recorded on the form for customs purposes and receipts kept? It doesn't say on the site (cpb nor cunard) and I can't find answer by google.

Thanks in advance

mikelincs Mar 1st 2015 11:00 am

Re: Customs form What if you consume duty free onboard the Queen Mary in transit...

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532 (Post 11579877)
Just getting everything lined up for this trip only a few more weeks now. Got a question over the customs form.

One form per family I know that and I know the limits on the forms with drink tabacco and money and no fruit/veg. I have read the site several times. What if however duty free is bought during the cruise and consumed onboard the ship before arrival should such purchases be recorded on the form for customs purposes? It doesn't say and I can't find answer by google.

Thanks in advance

Customs forms are for what you are bringing in to the country, so, no, that would not have to be recorded as it isn't there any more. If there is any left in the bottle, then yes it would need to be declared.

johnnybrown532 Mar 1st 2015 11:01 am

Re: Customs form What if you consume duty free onboard the Queen Mary in transit...

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11579878)
Customs forms are for what you are bringing in to the country, so, no, that would not have to be recorded as it isn't there any more. If there is any left in the bottle, then yes it would need to be declared.

Thank you. Best drink up then :lol:

Jerseygirl Mar 1st 2015 11:14 am

Re: Customs form What if you consume duty free onboard cruise ship in transit to US?

Usually bottles of duty free alcohol bought on board cruise ships is delivered to your cabin on the last night.

Some cruise lines allow you to board with a bottle of wine. Apart from that you are not allowed to consume your own booze while you are on board. If you purchase alcohol when you are in port it is removed when you reboard the ship and delivered to your cabin on the last night.

johnnybrown532 Mar 1st 2015 11:34 am

Re: Customs form What if you consume duty free onboard cruise ship in transit to US?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11579889)
Usually bottles of duty free alcohol bought on board cruise ships is delivered to your cabin on the last night.

Some cruise lines allow you to board with a bottle of wine. Apart from that you are not allowed to consume your own booze while you are on board. If you purchase alcohol when you are in port it is removed when you reboard the ship and delivered to your cabin on the last night.

That sounds right actually that is like what they do with a flight you get the stuff at the gate. Though on the Thompson ship some people bought booze from duty free and had it onboard but that ship in was in europe.

Thank you.

Jerseygirl Mar 1st 2015 11:37 am

Originally Posted by johnnybrown532 (Post 11579905)
That sounds right actually that is like what they do with a flight you get the stuff at the gate. Though on the Thompson ship some people bought booze from duty free and had it onboard but that ship in was in europe.

Thank you.

We were told that it is a rule laid down by US Customs. Always thought it was because the cruise line wants you to buy their booze from the bars...not drink your own.

rpjs Mar 1st 2015 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11579908)
We were told that it is a rule laid down by US Customs. Always thought it was because the cruise line wants you to buy their booze from the bars...not drink your own.

The one time we took a cruise it was a EU-flagged ship sailing wholly in the EU except one stop an Croatia which hadn't yet joined, and the ship-bought booze only rule was strictly applied.

Michael Mar 1st 2015 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11579908)

Like all things related to costs, if the consumer is unhappy, it is the responsibility of corporations to blame it on government regulations.:nod: