Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Currently on E2 - Any route to GC?

Currently on E2 - Any route to GC?

Old Jun 27th 2019, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Gf_121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Currently on E2 - Any route to GC?

Hi all,

Been in the US for a year now on an E2 visa as I work for a British company that has invested in the US. My question is, how, if at all, can i obtain a GC other than through marriage?

I think its unlikely my current company will sponsor a GC application as there is little benefit to them and just means I can leave. However, if another firm did, is there a route around them sponsoring it and then adjusting my status from my current visa?

Thanks in advance,
George
Old Jun 27th 2019, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Currently on E2 - Any route to GC?

The only route, apart from marriage, is for your company to sponsor a GC on your behalf. Most people who transfer do so on the written promise of a green card after a period of time.

You could always argue that you would be happier with the security of knowing you could buy a home and be able to live in it permanently if they did sponsor a GC, but it varies from company to company as to whether thy will do so or not.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 8:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Guindalf, that's really your best hope. Limited options are one of the reasons the E2 is labeled 'the visa from hell' on BE.
Old Jun 27th 2019, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

There's the H-1B lottery and everything that involves. Maybe you can job hunt/know someone who can persuade another company to consider sponsoring you for one. You obviously have the slight advantage of already being in the US and being available for a 'low-cost-to-interviewer' interview. With the H-1B there is far more chance of being able to convert that to a GC (unless you were born in India).
Old Jun 27th 2019, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Any idea on typical timescales around the GC sponsorship option? I’ve always made it clear to them that I’m in USA for the long haul so they may well listen to the “security” side of things...
Old Jun 28th 2019, 12:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I know you said "other than marriage", but would marriage be an option if there's no other way? Are you currently in a relationship with a USC?

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2019, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The only route, apart from marriage, is for your company to sponsor a GC on your behalf. Most people who transfer do so on the written promise of a green card after a period of time.
May I ask why that's the only route? I would have thought another company is still able to? Highly unlikely to happen of course but surely it's technically possible?
Old Jun 28th 2019, 12:56 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf

You could always argue that you would be happier with the security of knowing you could buy a home and be able to live in it permanently if they did sponsor a GC, but it varies from company to company as to whether thy will do so or not.
not really true, unless something changed, of the top of my head, (while they may or may not apply to the OP).. green card lottery, buy one via EB5, EB-1A, EB2 NIW are both self petition and then there is always a private bill of Congress..... and a 2 step process via the Cuban Adjustment Act, although from my research a long time ago becoming a Cuban Citizen was harder than getting an Green Card...

Last edited by tht; Jun 28th 2019 at 1:05 am.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht

not really true, unless something changed, of the top of my head, (while they may or may not apply to the OP).. green card lottery, buy one via EB5, EB-1A, EB2 NIW are both self petition and then there is always a private bill of Congress..
Unfortunately I don’t think any of those would work in my situation.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I know you said "other than marriage", but would marriage be an option if there's no other way? Are you currently in a relationship with a USC?

Rene
If I meet someone then il 100% go down that route, but not at this moment.

If another company wanted to go down the H1-B route, I assume I could stay with my current company (and therefore keep my current visa) and go through that process without them knowing anything about it? And does the size of the company hold any sway in the likeliness of it going through? For example if it was completed by one of the major Tech firms?
Old Jun 28th 2019, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gf_121
If another company wanted to go down the H1-B route, I assume I could stay with my current company (and therefore keep my current visa) and go through that process without them knowing anything about it? And does the size of the company hold any sway in the likeliness of it going through? For example if it was completed by one of the major Tech firms?
Yup. If approved, you could simply do a "change of status" and move on to the H-1B sponsor.
Larger companies are well known to have an intake of H-1Bs on an annual basis. They have the permanently retained lawyers with the relevant experience to make it happen (likely to ask you the right questions and far less likely to screw up the process). Esp. the Googles and Amazons, etc. of tech.

Old Jun 28th 2019, 2:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Another Company could sponsor you straight to an Immigrant Visa.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Yup. If approved, you could simply do a "change of status" and move on to the H-1B sponsor.
Well you almost certainly cannot change status in country so that's phraseology to be wary of in the case of non-immigrant visas.

OP would have to leave the country for an interview for the H1-B, discard the E-2 in the process if successful (as it wouldn't be valid anymore), and then re-enter on the H1-B. It'd be a pretty hairy set of events.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Why can he not change status?
Old Jul 1st 2019, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler
Why can he not change status?
How would OP begin to go about doing that? He has to leave the country to get a different NIV, and a successful application would invalidate his old visa. There's no status to change from at that point.
Old Jul 1st 2019, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by shiversaint
How would OP begin to go about doing that? He has to leave the country to get a different NIV, and a successful application would invalidate his old visa. There's no status to change from at that point.
Some visa's have limitations on adjustment, E2 is not one of them. So why would they need a different NIV?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.