Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Current USCIS processing times for Perm Residency?

Current USCIS processing times for Perm Residency?

Old Feb 7th 2021, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Current USCIS processing times for Perm Residency?

Hi all,

I am in the process of getting the Perm Residency (Green Card) through my employer.
Also, I am renewing the L1A visa I hold, as the PED expires in mid June 2021, although the visa expires in 2023.

My i-140 was filed mid Dec 2020 and the rest (I believe i-485 and so on) last week.

As of today, I have no news about the i-140 even though the law firm said that around late Jan I should receive news from it.

Does anyone know the current processing times for the i-140 and i-485?
The journey explained by the law firm before filing the papers was depicting a GC on hand by Sep 2021, but I see this pretty optimistic.

Do you guys see any problems for the L1A ‘renewal’ for the time being?

cheers y’all!
Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current USCIS processing times for Perm Residency?

Originally Posted by circusplaza
Hi all,

I am in the process of getting the Perm Residency (Green Card) through my employer.
Also, I am renewing the L1A visa I hold, as the PED expires in mid June 2021, although the visa expires in 2023.

My i-140 was filed mid Dec 2020 and the rest (I believe i-485 and so on) last week.

As of today, I have no news about the i-140 even though the law firm said that around late Jan I should receive news from it.

Does anyone know the current processing times for the i-140 and i-485?
The journey explained by the law firm before filing the papers was depicting a GC on hand by Sep 2021, but I see this pretty optimistic.

Do you guys see any problems for the L1A ‘renewal’ for the time being?

cheers y’all!
Your L-1A renewal should be fine, and you have plenty of time to do a regular (non-PP) filing given your current I-94 expiration. Please note that you are expected to provide the same supporting evidence as your original I-129 filing, but this should not be a problem as it’s similar to your I-140 filing (assuming EB-1C).

As for the I-140, it may take up to 12 weeks to receive a notice of receipt. The check(s) will also be cashed in, and then you’ll know your case is being processed. It may be slower due to the December holidays and change of administration.

You can check processing times on the USCIS website, most I-140s get processed in 6 months.

You don’t sound certain that your I-485 got filed. Did you submit medical records to your attorney? Did you also file for I-131 and I-765?

As for the Sep 2021 GC timeline— I haven’t heard of such an accelerated timeline during the pandemic (and the general lack of PP in EB-1C). 2022 sounds more reasonable.

Last edited by destone; Feb 7th 2021 at 10:24 am.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond reputecircusplaza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Your L-1A renewal should be fine, and you have plenty of time to do a regular (non-PP) filing given your current I-94 expiration. Please note that you are expected to provide the same supporting evidence as your original I-129 filing, but this should not be a problem as it’s similar to your I-140 filing (assuming EB-1C).

As for the I-140, it may take up to 12 weeks to receive a notice of receipt. The check(s) will also be cashed in, and then you’ll know your case is being processed. It may be slower due to the December holidays and change of administration.

You can check processing times on the USCIS website, most I-140s get processed in 6 months.

You don’t sound certain that your I-485 got filed. Did you submit medical records to your attorney? Did you also file for I-131 and I-765?

As for the Sep 2021 GC timeline— I haven’t heard of such an accelerated timeline during the pandemic (and the general lack of PP in EB-1C). 2022 sounds more reasonable.
thanks Destone!!
Yes, my medical records, passport size photos, proof of all the bank accounts and investments, etc...were sent to the law firm. Also, the forms signed on my side (i-485, i-131, g-28, i-765, i-944 amd i-485 supplement).
So, as far as they have informed, they have filed it.

On the other hand, your above assumption is correct; EB-1, not sure about A,B or C. I hold a senior management positition in a multinational firm.
I will wait to the magic number of 12 weeks then before I ask again to the law firm.

In my mind, I just wanted to get the approval before June 2020 so I do not have to go through the L1A again.

do you know at what point of the journey (which with doc approval) I can say I have been granted, even though the physical GC will take a few more months?

Last edited by circusplaza; Feb 7th 2021 at 2:09 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by circusplaza
In my mind, I just wanted to get the approval before June 2020 so I do not have to go through the L1A again.

do you know at what point of the journey (which with doc approval) I can say I have been granted, even though the physical GC will take a few more months?
I think L1 renewal is the best course of action as even the I-131 takes months to process as the combined I-131/765 card is dependent on a biometrics appointment which will take some time given the pandemic backlog. And if the I-765 doesn’t come through before June, you will lose your right to work.

The interview requirement has not been waived for GC (although there are anecdotal reports that some were exempted) despite the pandemic. Once you have your interview, you’re pretty close. The actual GC card can be produced and dispatched in a couple of weeks’ time once the case has been approved (which you can track on the USCIS website with your case number).

Correction: I re-read your I-94 expiry date (June), and I would recommend Premium Processing for your L1 renewal.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destone
I think L1 renewal is the best course of action as even the I-131 takes months to process as the combined I-131/765 card is dependent on a biometrics appointment which will take some time given the pandemic backlog. And if the I-765 doesn’t come through before June, you will lose your right to work.

The interview requirement has not been waived for GC (although there are anecdotal reports that some were exempted) despite the pandemic. Once you have your interview, you’re pretty close. The actual GC card can be produced and dispatched in a couple of weeks’ time once the case has been approved (which you can track on the USCIS website with your case number).

Correction: I re-read your I-94 expiry date (June), and I would recommend Premium Processing for your L1 renewal.
thanks!!
I will speak to the law firm on the L1A premium processing. They seem to be confident we have time as per my last conversations, they said currently if you file the extension before it expires and they grant you 240 days.

Honestly, the last thing I want to happen is to lose the right to work, this will have a ripple effect of losing the ability to probably continue with the GC process, move back to the UK (in these uncertain times) and start all over again the L1A ... which honestly, I am not sure I have the energy to do 2 internaltional moves.

thanks!!
Old Feb 8th 2021, 7:47 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

General comment - when I was in practice, I learned to hate questions along the lines of how long will my application take? Not that the question was unreasonable, it is perfectly reasonable. However, I found that I really could not be accurate in my predictions. Early in my career, I had to submit two identical petitions - same lawyer, simultaneous applications. One was approved in 21 days, the other was sent to Alaska for remote adjudication. We found out nine months later when we received a request for evidence from Skagway.

So, lesson learned.

BTW, I wonder about your timing and strategy. I am not going to dig because it may be particular to your set of facts. Also, attorneys often have a difference in professional opinion on how to handle cases.

Good luck.
Old Feb 9th 2021, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
General comment - when I was in practice, I learned to hate questions along the lines of how long will my application take? Not that the question was unreasonable, it is perfectly reasonable. However, I found that I really could not be accurate in my predictions. Early in my career, I had to submit two identical petitions - same lawyer, simultaneous applications. One was approved in 21 days, the other was sent to Alaska for remote adjudication. We found out nine months later when we received a request for evidence from Skagway.

So, lesson learned.

BTW, I wonder about your timing and strategy. I am not going to dig because it may be particular to your set of facts. Also, attorneys often have a difference in professional opinion on how to handle cases.

Good luck.
Thanks mate!!
Appreciate your insights, my point started though with the current processing times for USCIS but diverted to my specific case.

Cheers!
Old Feb 9th 2021, 1:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Helped a friend file I 485, looking at the local office time lines not expecting to hear anything before next year.

I was surprised how quickly they received NoA, was expecting that to take much longer. So maybe I will be wrong.