Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Current status of EB-based interviews

Current status of EB-based interviews

Old May 11th 2018, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Current status of EB-based interviews

As many of you are probably aware, in 2017 DHS decided to stop waiving the interview requirements for EB-based I-485s. The current rule says that those who filed their I-495 before March 7, 2017 will likely have their interviews waived (under the prior policy) and those who filed after that date will likely have to have an interview.
I have three friends who are all going through the I-485 after the interview waiver date, and they have shared their experiences with me. My friend (EB-2 with PERM) filed in June, was interviewed in Oklahoma in October and recently received an RFE for his birth certificate, which was likely lost in the transfer from Nebraska to Oklahoma. A second friend (EB-2, NIW) filed in October, was interviewed in San Francisco last month and approved on the spot. My sister (EB1-b) filed in November and was recently scheduled for an interview in New York in June.
It appears that the first few months of this policy were quite chaotic with the filed offices having little guidance as to what they could do and unable to approve on the spot. However it appears some things are being streamlined. If anyone has new experiences about this interview process, please share them. I am of course anxiously waiting for my sister's interview.
Old May 12th 2018, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current status of EB-based interviews

I have, and my own experience more or less tallies with others. If any documentation is missing or needs updating, bring it to the interview. Bring originals of all documents that support the application. It's unlikely they will ask for it. Bring an Employment Verification Letter, W2 and if possible a copy of tax return if already working in the US. Your sister should be re-fingerprinted just before the interview as part of the reverification. The interview will begin with being sworn in. Part of the interview will likely consist of a verification of the Yes/No answers in the I-485. If there are no issues it should go smoothly and professionally and not take too long. YMMV with regard to approval -- I was approved the following day. Some get approved on the spot; others get approved in a few weeks.