Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Current processing times for N-400 (naturalization)?

Current processing times for N-400 (naturalization)?

Old Jan 29th 2017, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

AliciaA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Current processing times for N-400 (naturalization)?

My husband submitted his application At the beginning of November. He had his appointment to have his fingerprints and photos done in early December. Current update says that as of 12/7 he's in line for an interview but we've not heard anything further. His green card expires in late April. Should we begin a renewal of his green card?

Anyone know how long it's currently taking for the naturalization process?

Any insight welcome!
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current processing times for N-400 (naturalization)?

It takes about 6 months from filing N-400 to interview. If approved, it just depends on the location how long it takes for the oath ceremony...some places do same- day,others schedule a month or so later.

I'm not sure about the green card renewal, sorry. There's nothing in the N-400 instructions or USCIS Guide to Naturalization on that topic? Typically a US PR is supposed to carry proof of status at all times, which makes me think it should be renewed...but that's a lot of money to pay to then turn right around and hand it in two months later!

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

i got a replacement green card in 5 months... but that was pre-trump...
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:14 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silvermine
The OP is not asking about a replacement green card.

Rene
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:14 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I would expect the interview date to arrive soon and it will be a month or so out. No need to renew the GC.

Although under Trump, I suppose there may be a new normal.

My experience was 3 years ago. Applied in August, Oath ceremony before Christmas.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:20 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It takes about 6 months from filing N-400 to interview. If approved, it just depends on the location how long it takes for the oath ceremony...some places do same- day,others schedule a month or so later.

I'm not sure about the green card renewal, sorry. There's nothing in the N-400 instructions or USCIS Guide to Naturalization on that topic? Typically a US PR is supposed to carry proof of status at all times, which makes me think it should be renewed...but that's a lot of money to pay to then turn right around and hand it in two months later!

Rene
Un-related, but I was just reading up, because I know someone whose GC may have expired. It does not appear to be a big deal as far as continuing to citizenship.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Rene
I looked but was unable to locate any info in te guide or the FAQs. We will maybe try to give a call this week.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliciaA
His green card expires in late April.
He remains a PR even if his green card expires. The card is proof of his status... it isn't the status itself.

Ian
Old Jan 29th 2017, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

thanks all! As of 11/30 our service center was processing N-400 cases from 4/23! So that's over seven months.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

silvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the roughsilvermine is a jewel in the rough

The OP is not asking about a replacement green card.

Rene
yes they were

Should we begin a renewal of his green card?

apparently the answer is they don't need to..
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH
Although under Trump, I suppose there may be a new normal.
there may be.. good point
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:18 am
Just Joined

there may be.. good point
Exactly what prompted my questions. Uncertain times!
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:36 am

yes they were

Should we begin a renewal of his green card?

apparently the answer is they don't need to..
Replacing a green card is not the same as renewing a green card. I do understand that you thought they are the same; I'm just clarifying for others reading this.

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AliciaA
thanks all! As of 11/30 our service center was processing N-400 cases from 4/23! So that's over seven months.
my personal opinion is should be ok. as ian pointed out the card only shows proof of status not the status itself. the n-400 was applied for well in advance of the green card expiration. now if the interview doesn't get scheduled before april 1st... then maybe another story..
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Replacing a green card is not the same as renewing a green card. I do understand that you thought they are the same; I'm just clarifying for others reading this.

Rene
well sort of the same timeline.. if you lose it it takes the same time to replace..

sorry should have said renew. but OP did say they already had green card...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.