Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

CSPA-New moves for amendment to protect those that have or will age out

CSPA-New moves for amendment to protect those that have or will age out

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of
Default CSPA-New moves for amendment to protect those that have or will age out

I have just had a call from Mr Shusterman regarding the CSPA. In two weeks he is heading a meeting with AILA on this very subject and will update when I have more info. He has requested court papers from me as he is very interested in the subject as some members issues will be relevant to the meeting and following bills/amendments

This is very exciting news as it appears there may well be provision for children that have already aged out, so please watch this space or if you wish to learn more send me a pm with your contact details

I would recommend you subscribe to his news letter at www.shusterman.com as well for updates
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:11 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CSPA-New moves for amendment to protect those that have or will age out

Originally Posted by scatty
I have just had a call from Mr Shusterman regarding the CSPA. In two weeks he is heading a meeting with AILA on this very subject and will update when I have more info. He has requested court papers from me as he is very interested in the subject as some members issues will be relevant to the meeting and following bills/amendments

This is very exciting news as it appears there may well be provision for children that have already aged out, so please watch this space or if you wish to learn more send me a pm with your contact details

I would recommend you subscribe to his news letter at www.shusterman.com as well for updates
Hi:

Right!

Carl and I go way back. We have spoken to each other about CSPA. I have reason to believe that you are not exactly accurate in your posting.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

scatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud ofscatty has much to be proud of
Default Re: CSPA-New moves for amendment to protect those that have or will age out

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Right!

Carl and I go way back. We have spoken to each other about CSPA. I have reason to believe that you are not exactly accurate in your posting.
Hi,

Maybe I misunderstood his telephone converstion with me but I do not think so, by all means give him a call
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scatty
Hi,

Maybe I misunderstood his telephone converstion with me but I do not think so, by all means give him a call
Hi:

I don't feel the need to call him again on this.
Old May 11th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Seems, this will help many

New CSPA Memo

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedoc...PA_30Apr08.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD
Old May 15th 2008, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

pdelh83 is an unknown quantity at this point

SO, this new amendment does not mention anything about the 'priority date retention' and automatic conversion to an appropriate category. In other words, cases like "Maria T. Garcia'...are still left unclear. So derivative beneficiaries that aged out under family fourth preference category would benefit if there was an automatic conversion to an appropriate category (F2B) with retention of old priority date.

ANY NEWS ON THIS PROVISION?
Old May 16th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pdelh83
SO, this new amendment does not mention anything about the 'priority date retention' and automatic conversion to an appropriate category. In other words, cases like "Maria T. Garcia'...are still left unclear. So derivative beneficiaries that aged out under family fourth preference category would benefit if there was an automatic conversion to an appropriate category (F2B) with retention of old priority date.

ANY NEWS ON THIS PROVISION?
Hi

am still trying to get my head around this new memo, would be grate if any attorneys on here could confirm
Old May 17th 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

lets all search the web and post articles in this thread

http://www.gurfinkel.com/immigration...ay18-2008.html

New Hope Under CSPA for Children Who Aged-Out Before August 6, 2002

By Michael J. Gurfinkel, Esq.

On April 30, 2008, the USCIS issued a new policy guidance memo that could help many children who turned 21 before the August 6, 2002 enactment of the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA). In essence, USCIS is willing to give “retroactive effect” to CSPA in certain circumstances, including children of U.S. citizens, who turned 21 before August 6, 2002. As stated in the USCIS memo:

“The CSPA [fixed] the age of an alien beneficiary on the occurrence of a specific event (e.g. filing a petition). If the alien beneficiary [the child] is under the age of 21 on the date of that event [the filing of a petition], the alien would not age out and would continue to be eligible for permanent residence [green card] as an IR [Immediate Relative]. It does not matter whether the alien reaches the age of 21 before or after the enactment date of the CSPA [August 2, 2002], when the petition was filed, or how long the alien took after petition approval to apply for permanent residence provided the alien did not have a final decision prior to August 6, 2002 on the application for permanent residence [Form I-485] based on the immigrant visa petition upon which the alien claimed to be a child.” (emphasis added)

In this article, I will discuss the new CSPA benefits for children of U.S. citizens under the new memo. In future articles, I will discuss the new benefits to children of green card holders, or derivative beneficiary children under their parent’s petition

In the past, USCIS took the position that the CSPA was not retroactive, and ordinarily would not apply the CSPA to children of U.S. citizens who aged out before August 6, 2002. This new USCIS memo sets the child’s age at the time the parent files the immediate relative petition, provided the child was under 21 at that time.

Which Children of U.S. Citizens are Covered Under this New Memo?

There are 3 basic categories of children (of U.S. citizens) who would be covered under this new memo:

Children of U.S. citizens, where the parent filed the petition before the child’s 21st birthday.

Petitions filed by lawful permanent resident (green card) parents for a minor child (category F-2A), and the parent naturalized before the child’s 21st birthday; or

A petition filed by a U.S. citizen parent for a married child who was under 21, but the child terminates his or her marriage before the child’s 21st birthday (i.e. through divorce, annulment, etc.).

In these situations, USCIS says that the child could still benefit from the CSPA whether or not the child reached the age of 21 before or after the August 6, 2002 date of enactment of the CSPA, “provided the alien did not have a final decision prior to August 6, 2002 on an application for permanent residence based on an immigrant visa petition upon which the alien claims to be a child.”

If you think that you or your child may benefit from this new memo, I urge you to immediately seek the advice of a reputable attorney who can evaluate your case and determine if you or your child could benefit under the recent interpretation of the CSPA. This is great news for citizens as well as their minor children who aged out before the CSPA.