Criminal record checks question

Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:07 am
Just Joined

mbc13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal record checks question

I am a USC and my husband is a UKC. We have recently received our NOA for the I 130 and are trying to get as much paperwork finished as quickly as possible to save time.

My question is in regards to the criminal checks. My husband lived in China on two occassions - once for 10 months and the second time for 6 months. I've called the helpline and was told by one person he would not need a criminal record check from China, and by another person that he would.

My questions are:
1. What have people's experiences with requirements for criminal record checks been?

2. Does anyone have experience getting a criminal record check for China? I'm aware we need to be in contact with the PSB, but there are slight complications in that my husband was only on the L visa for his first stay. During his second stay he was on a Z visa, but his previous employer has shut down and we have no contacts left there as this was about 7 years ago, so I'm not sure how to go about getting the check other than him going over himself....

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 12:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal record checks question

The Reciprocity Schedule for China is here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/re...city_3537.html

However, the police certificate requirement reads:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...v/docs169.html
Police Certificate - Police certificates are required for each visa application aged 16 years or older. A separate certificate is required from the police of each country in which the applicant has lived for twelve months or more after the age of 16; the period is six months if country of birth or current nationality. This certificate must state cover the entire period of the applicant's residence in that area or country and state what the appropriate police authorities records show concerning each applicant including all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case of which there is a record.
Important Notice: If you are 16 years of age or over and were born in the United Kingdom or the UK is your current nationality you will require a police certificate to cover your period of residence of six months or more since reaching the age of sixteen. The period is twelve months for all other nationalities.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mbc13
My husband lived in China on two occassions - once for 10 months and the second time for 6 months.
No worries then... the requirement for a certificate only kicks in if you've lived in a country for 12 months or more since age 16.

Ian
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:17 am
Just Joined

mbc13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if this is a daft question - but just to clarify is the 12 months cumulative or for each period of residence? This is the part that I'm unsure about and was wondering what other people's experiences had been.....
Old Jan 5th 2010, 1:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is a daft question - but just to clarify is the 12 months cumulative or for each period of residence? This is the part that I'm unsure about and was wondering what other people's experiences had been.....
I'm no expert, but I read it as continuous residence of 12 months or more.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is a daft question - but just to clarify is the 12 months cumulative or for each period of residence?
I agree with Rene - continuously for 12 months.

Ian