Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Criminal Record attempting to visit/work/live in USA

Criminal Record attempting to visit/work/live in USA

Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Criminal Record attempting to visit/work/live in USA

Originally Posted by az2014
Because thats what it does ask for?

Maybe thats not what they want to ask for but it clearly does, not sure how you can think otherwise.
Then why do the accompanying help notes to ESTA not point out that distinction? They merely say that the question is referring to CIMT and that is the context in which the question needs to be interpreted.

I've spent a long time on BE and we have never advised anyone with an arrest to answer YES to the ESTA question unless that arrest was for a suspected CIMT.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe thats not what they want to ask for but it clearly does, not sure how you can think otherwise.
Why don't we follow the guidance given by the US Embassy in London?

We do not recommend that travelers who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, have a criminal record, certain serious communicable illness, have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program, attempt to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to US visa law and spent convictions,regardless of when they occurred will have a bearing on a traveler’s eligibility for admission into the United States.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-...-requirements/
Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Stating that I'm wrong without showing why is not helpful to achieving a consensus. I'm sitting here saying I'm happy to be proven wrong but at the minute it's just me and materialcontroller explaining that the second part of the sentence is redundant if the first part of the sentence is to be treated as a singular question, with no-one really refuting that point with a decent explanation.

Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or government authority?

Do you agree that anybody that answers "yes" the bolded part of this sentence would be captured by anyone that would answer yes to the italicised part of the sentence, IF that italicised part of the sentence was supposed to be answered in solitude, as you are suggesting?

The only situation which benefits when this sentence is actually two questions is for people convicted in absentia - which is clearly not the intended purpose given no documentation even refers to it.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Why don't we follow the guidance given by the US Embassy in London?

We do not recommend that travelers who have been arrested, even if the arrest did not result in a criminal conviction, have a criminal record, certain serious communicable illness, have been refused admission into, or have been deported from, the United States, or have previously overstayed under the terms of the Visa Waiver Program, attempt to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to US visa law and spent convictions,regardless of when they occurred will have a bearing on a traveler’s eligibility for admission into the United States.

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-...-requirements/
The reason why we don't follow that advice is because it is incorrect and incompatible with US immigration laws. This is a long standing issue that regular contributors to the forum are more than familiar with.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

When did people on BE suddenly change their opinion on this issue?? There have been countless discussions about CIMTs over the years exactly because CIMT/non-CIMT arrest was the decisive factor. I know the ESTA questions were changed somewhat recently, but IIIRC, the general consensus at the time was that they were more clear about not referring to a non-CIMT arrest.

Anyway, this is merely my opinion. Both shiversaint and materialcontroller have relevant experience and the fact that they are both saying the same thing should count for more than arguing grammar (which is also on their side...).
Old Sep 30th 2018, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Kimberly1471 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question in regards to applying for fiancé visa for UK. I have 2 misdemeanors in my record from 2016. I’ve never been in trouble before with the law my whole life and I paid all of my fines. Would that affect my chances of qualifying to marry British citizen ?

Last edited by Kimberly1471; Sep 30th 2018 at 4:33 am.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimberly1471
I have a question in regards to applying for fiancé visa for UK. I have 2 misdemeanors in my record from 2016. I’ve never been in trouble before with the law my whole life and I paid all of my fines. Would that affect my chances of qualifying to marry British citizen ?

I don't believe it will but you need to be asking in the UK forum, not the USA one.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/citi...-visas-uk-196/