Criminal Convictions - AGAIN

Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Ineedhelpchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Criminal Convictions - AGAIN

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help

I am looking to travel to the us in August as a student. I have secured my place at a pretty good college / got my i-20 / booked my appointment etc so everything is nearly comeplete.

My interview is Monday at the embassy in London - I know leaving a little late but it was the earliest they could do.

Now i'm really worrying, I have received my ACPO certificate back and it has 3 things on. I had 1 warning for theft and 1 conviction for theft from employer but 2 counts.

both were before the age of 18 and one was a warnmning - the theft from employer was £170 so from research I believe this comes up as petty offence and also juvenile conviction

my warning was 6 years ago and the conviction for theft was 4 years.

What is the likelihood of me being given a visa?

I am having sleepless nights worrying as is my mother as we have put quite a bit of money into this.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

andy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really niceandy1 is just really nice
Default Re: Criminal Convictions - AGAIN

Hi the thefts will be a CIMT you will need a waiver.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andy1
Hi the thefts will be a CIMT you will need a waiver.
Regardless of the fact they were both under 18?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ineedhelpchris
Regardless of the fact they were both under 18?
Also I have noted somewhere that the prison sentance could have been 6 months...surely that comes under the CIMT exclusion too?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What is the likelihood of me being given a visa?
As it stands right now, l'd give it more than 0% but less than 50%. You will likely need to get hold of the court paperwork, and you may also need a waiver of ineligibility (since theft is a CIMT).

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
As it stands right now, l'd give it more than 0% but less than 50%. You will likely need to get hold of the court paperwork, and you may also need a waiver of ineligibility (since theft is a CIMT).

Ian
Okay so just to clarify regardless of the fact I was tried as a juvenile and only received a fine I still have little chance of gainiing a visa and if I do it certainly has to be with a waiver?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... only received a fine...
The actual punishment you received is irrelevant. What is relevant is the maximum you could have received. That is the criterium that will be used to help make a determination of whether or not you're eligible.

or I still have little chance of gainiing a visa and if I do it certainly has to be with a waiver?
To my knowledge, the petty offense exception covers a single offense - you have multiple offenses... therefore you will likely need a waiver. You won't know for sure until your interview. Go to the interview and see what happens. It is only at that point in time that you will have a clear understanding of what will be required to get the visa.

I regret that both you and your mum are having sleepless nights... but this should have been considered long before you applied for a student visa.

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Is a warning classed as a conviction though?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:47 pm
Account Closed

Is a warning classed as a conviction though?
If by warning you mean "caution", then no... it's not generally considered a conviction for US immigration purposes. It is, however, an admission of guilt. But you also said there were 2 counts of theft in addition to the caution. While only one might have led to a conviction, the other one doesn't just disappear.

Have you considered a consultation with an attorney?

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Basically I worked in a shop - and took £170 over the course of 2 weeks on 2 seperate dates...so i don't know how this fares...

With regards to an attorney I have considered it, but am not 100% as they would not be able to attend the interview with me? I am just really concerned that my past will haunt me as I now am a law abiding citizen full time job do volunteer soccer coaching etc...I have references to take with me.

I guess I will just have to see what happens at the interview?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to an attorney I have considered it, but am not 100% as they would not be able to attend the interview with me? I am just really concerned that my past will haunt me as I now am a law abiding citizen full time job do volunteer soccer coaching etc...I have references to take with me.
Why wouldn't the lawyer be able to attend the interview with you, if you hire him to do that for you? Or, you could just have a 1 time consultation with an attorney, just to pose your questions to him and see what he thinks your chances are.

I guess I will just have to see what happens at the interview?
You could do that, too, yes.

Rene
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

The website states that only the person that is applying can attend the interview?
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Okay so just to clarify regardless of the fact I was tried as a juvenile and only received a fine I still have little chance of gainiing a visa and if I do it certainly has to be with a waiver?
A legal consultation is in order. Soon.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:55 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why wouldn't the lawyer be able to attend the interview with you, if you hire him to do that for you? Or, you could just have a 1 time consultation with an attorney, just to pose your questions to him and see what he thinks your chances are.
FWIW, allowing attendance of an attorney at an interview is up to the local consulate and sometimes the individual ConOff. I don't know what LND's policy is.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

The website states that only the person that is applying can attend the interview?
The website is... well... deliberately misleading.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.