Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Court: Defendants Entitled to Immigration Advice

Wikiposts

Court: Defendants Entitled to Immigration Advice

Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Court: Defendants Entitled to Immigration Advice

Immigrants must be told by their lawyers whether pleading guilty to a crime could lead to their deportation, the Supreme Court said Wednesday.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010...migration.html
Old Mar 31st 2010, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Court: Defendants Entitled to Immigration Advice

I think it's fair. The defendant should be entitled to minimal risk of having to 'flip a coin' to determine their future.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:02 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

hmm.
This is one where it's easy to see both sides.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

What's the "other side"?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
What's the "other side"?
Criminal prosecution attorneys offering immigration attorney advice and being expected to get it right I guess.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh
What's the "other side"?
Depends on what the first side is?
(the dissenting side is understandable to me, as well as the decision)
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
Aw, I missed.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
Criminal prosecution attorneys offering immigration attorney advice and being expected to get it right I guess.
I fail to see how it is the responsibility of the Prosecutor to relay the immigration consequences. I would think that it would be the responsibility of the Defendant's attorney, ie. the Defense Attorney, to relay the implications to his client of all aspects of the plea.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:59 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the link in this thread to the actual case? I can't find it.

Query: do people think that the New York Times link provided by Fatbrit is accurate?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

Query: do people think that the New York Times link provided by Fatbrit is accurate?
sigh.
It's in your thread, of course.

It would be a lot simpler, and a lot less.. judgmental sounding, if you just linked your thread to this one, or added the case here. That's how user forums work. Im not running a reference library.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think the dissent is valueless. This was a 7-2 decision -- but the breakdown of the 7 was 5 plus 2 in concurrence. I find it of particular interest that Kentucky is one of the courts that actually gives notice that there may be consequences. Also, that both Padilla and Kentucky found the California approach to be less than desirable.

The 5 justice majority found that there are some case where the answer is obvious. The concurrence had trouble with that. However, all seven agreed that Padilla's attorney was ineffective and should not have given the bad advice. The remand for "prejudice" will be interesting. There is a huge conflict of the circuits on that one.

Historical note: For decades, there was a rubric that in no other area of the law was the power of Congress so broad as in Immigration. Well in 1996, Congress took the Supremes at their word. And the Supremes have been pushing back -- note that there is frequent mention of the St. Cyr case. Also, the discussion of JRAD's at the beginning. The JRAD went by the wayside back [I forget exactly when -- but it was at least 20 years ago]. JRAD does not strike me as relevant.

The majority decision strikes me as big "shot across the bow" while the concurrence reaches the same result, but in a more measured fashion.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Mar 31st 2010 at 12:24 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:22 pm
BE Commentator

sigh.
It's in your thread, of course.

It would be a lot simpler, and a lot less.. judgmental sounding, if you just linked your thread to this one, or added the case here. That's how user forums work. Im not running a reference library.
Padilla v Kentucky -- the actual decision. The NY Times article is a lot more succinct. May not be accurate, but it is succinct.

Observation -- the first news reports of a longish Supreme Court decision are not always on the money.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:02 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

That's how user forums work. Im not running a reference library.
You could be: you're hot, like my favorite librarian!!!
Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky

Are you trying to open an on-line law school here?

Everybody knows the NYT is trashy liberal propaganda. Real men read the Daily Mail -- but they haven't seen fit to comment yet.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by nettlebed
You could be: you're hot, like my favorite librarian!!!
Be nice. In looking again at this thread, I now see that Meauxna's language had a enough wiggle room that it conformed to what she meant and to what I had thought she had said. The divergence between the two perceptions led to both of us being a little testy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.