Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Could an American citizen sibling help you move to the States?

Could an American citizen sibling help you move to the States?

Old Nov 28th 2003, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

sparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Could an American citizen sibling help you move to the States?

I would like to know whether an American citizen sibling living in Britain could help their brother/sister to emigrate to the US?
Thank you. sparkler.
Old Nov 29th 2003, 4:51 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could an American citizen sibling help you move to the States?

Originally posted by sparkler
I would like to know whether an American citizen sibling living in Britain could help their brother/sister to emigrate to the US?
Thank you. sparkler.
Not sure if residence is a problem, I'd guess that it might be, but I hear that it takes around twelve years to sponsor a sibling into the USA.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think it depends on age factor, if the person is under 18 its more easy.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 3:33 am
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by syedraza70
i think it depends on age factor, if the person is under 18 its more easy.
I think that age only makes a difference for your children (and the relevant age is twenty one), not for your siblings.
Old Dec 7th 2003, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

suiram is an unknown quantity at this point

http://travel.state.gov/visa_bulletin.html
Visa Bulletin

FAMILY-SPONSORED PREFERENCES

First: Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400 plus any numbers not required for fourth preference.

Second: Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents: 114,200, plus the number (if any) by which the worldwide family preference level exceeds 226,000, and any unused first preference numbers:

A. Spouses and Children: 77% of the overall second preference limitation, of which 75% are exempt from the per-country limit;

B. Unmarried Sons and Daughters (21 years of age or older): 23% of the overall second preference limitation.

Third: Married Sons and Daughters of Citizens: 23,400, plus any numbers not required by first and second preferences.

Fourth: Brothers and Sisters of Adult Citizens: 65,000, plus any numbers not required by first three preferences.

Waiting times:
Priority Dates for Family Based Immigrant Visas

' other' INDIA MEXICO PHILIPPINES
Family
1st 15JUL00 15JUL00 15OCT94 15SEP89
2A* 15NOV98 15NOV98 08APR96 15NOV98
2B 01MAY95 01MAY95 01DEC91 01MAY95
3rd 15AUG97 15AUG97 15NOV94 22MAY89
4th 01FEB92 01OCT90 01FEB92 15OCT81