British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Copy from USVisa = "1977: 15yr old idiot stole LP, got caution. It counts for K1?" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/copy-usvisa-%3D-1977-15yr-old-idiot-stole-lp-got-caution-counts-k1-292340/)

HopefulK1 Mar 25th 2005 4:40 am

From USVisas Forum = "1977: 15yr old idiot stole LP, got caution. It counts for K1?"

I posted this (my first ever) thread in the US Visa forum earlier today and already had some helpful opinions, including advice that the thread would be better served here. My apologies if you've read the following post already. If not, here goes...

I guess I might well be throwing myself into the lions' den right from the start. However, I am hoping that your forum's helpful reputation holds true for me... I have tried to make the problem clear in my topic title so that those members who might be angered or irritated by this situation can avoid reading this post.

I am hoping for members' constructive advice and opinions on the best way to proceed with our I-129F & K1 visa. (Any tidbits from the site's visiting immigration legal eagles would be greatly appreciated too.)

The title more or less tells it all... However, the fact is that the 15 year old idiot was me. I do understand and accept that some people feel behaviour like this is immoral and unforgivable. Some may well think that I should never ever be allowed to get a US visa, perhaps someone even thinks I should have my hands chopped off too. I don't know. But rest assured that I have already beaten myself up mentally - for years as a teenager, and again since we decided to try for a US Visa - because of this utterly ridiculous, stupid (and for what it's worth, one-off) act of thievery...

Ok, well this is the pathetic tale... in case it helps mitigate... a little...

As I mentioned already, the incident happened about 27+ years ago (mid 1977) when I was 15. I had a huge, secret crush on an 18 year old guy who loved the hit film of the time, Saturday Night Fever. I desperately wanted to make him notice me by giving him the soundtrack album for his birthday. I didn't have quite enough money to pay, or the common sense to borrow the bit extra I needed... I'm still ashamed to say I decided to try stealing the bloody thing.

Needless to say, I was stopped at the door of the shop and carted off to the local police station. I don't remember if I was actually arrested or charged with anything - I was crying too much - but I do know I had to give a statement (once my father was present) and was then sent home to suffer the consequences of my parents' wrath. They had to take me back to the station a few weeks later for a verbal caution. I don't believe there was any paperwork issued to me (or my parents, but unfortunately they're not around now to ask), hence the vagueness about dates & so on.

So that's the sorry story... As I said, pathetic.

We're only just compiling the I-129F package so far, but I am trying to be prepared well in advance and I want to do the right thing. As my topic title suggested, I'm hoping for some assistance with the following questions...

1 = Is a British police caution - dished out to a juvenile 15 year old in 1977 (27+ years ago) - likely to be classified as a charge or an arrest by the USCIS, despite the fact nothing appeared on a police certificate obtained recently?

2 = I think I saw a mention elsewhere that something like this is called 'moral turpitude' by the USCIS! Is that really true? :(

If the answer to either of the above questions is yes...

3 = Am I correct in assuming that it would then need to be mentioned, somewhere in the USCIS paper mountain... Possibly the K1 Packet 3 or 4? Can anyone tell me which form it would be on?

4 = Is it likely to prompt a denial at the interview and therefore require a waiver & hardship letter?

5 = If a denial is the likely outcome, is there any way to avoid the problem arising by sending in a written statement with as many details as possible prior to the interview? (Bearing in mind that neither I, nor the police, can produce any paperwork or accurate dates/details relating to this incident.)

Thanks for taking an interest, and once again, if you feel like putting the boot in, please don't.

Hopeful...

Laurie1st Mar 25th 2005 5:07 am

Re: Copy from USVisa = "1977: 15yr old idiot stole LP, got caution. It counts for K1?

For what it's worth, I think that the only REAL crime here is your poor taste in music. ;)

I can't believe that stealing a crappy LP 28 years ago would disqualify you, especially seeing as you have no criminal history since that time.

Try to relax, and listen to some Staying Alive. :)

ian-mstm Mar 25th 2005 5:38 am

Re: From USVisas Forum = "1977: 15yr old idiot stole LP, got caution. It counts for K1?"

Originally Posted by HopefulK1
1 = Is a British police caution - dished out to a juvenile 15 year old in 1977 (27+ years ago) - likely to be classified as a charge or an arrest by the USCIS, despite the fact nothing appeared on a police certificate obtained recently?

If nothing appears on the police certificate, I wouldn't even mention it with respect to the K-1. While others may offer other opinions, mine is... relax!

Ian

Folinskyinla Mar 25th 2005 6:21 am

Re: From USVisas Forum = "1977: 15yr old idiot stole LP, got caution. It counts for K

I posted this (my first ever) thread in the US Visa forum earlier today and already had some helpful opinions, including advice that the thread would be better served here. My apologies if you've read the following post already. If not, here goes...

I guess I might well be throwing myself into the lions' den right from the start. However, I am hoping that your forum's helpful reputation holds true for me... I have tried to make the problem clear in my topic title so that those members who might be angered or irritated by this situation can avoid reading this post.

I am hoping for members' constructive advice and opinions on the best way to proceed with our I-129F & K1 visa. (Any tidbits from the site's visiting immigration legal eagles would be greatly appreciated too.)

The title more or less tells it all... However, the fact is that the 15 year old idiot was me. I do understand and accept that some people feel behaviour like this is immoral and unforgivable. Some may well think that I should never ever be allowed to get a US visa, perhaps someone even thinks I should have my hands chopped off too. I don't know. But rest assured that I have already beaten myself up mentally - for years as a teenager, and again since we decided to try for a US Visa - because of this utterly ridiculous, stupid (and for what it's worth, one-off) act of thievery...

Ok, well this is the pathetic tale... in case it helps mitigate... a little...

As I mentioned already, the incident happened about 27+ years ago (mid 1977) when I was 15. I had a huge, secret crush on an 18 year old guy who loved the hit film of the time, Saturday Night Fever. I desperately wanted to make him notice me by giving him the soundtrack album for his birthday. I didn't have quite enough money to pay, or the common sense to borrow the bit extra I needed... I'm still ashamed to say I decided to try stealing the bloody thing.

Needless to say, I was stopped at the door of the shop and carted off to the local police station. I don't remember if I was actually arrested or charged with anything - I was crying too much - but I do know I had to give a statement (once my father was present) and was then sent home to suffer the consequences of my parents' wrath. They had to take me back to the station a few weeks later for a verbal caution. I don't believe there was any paperwork issued to me (or my parents, but unfortunately they're not around now to ask), hence the vagueness about dates & so on.

So that's the sorry story... As I said, pathetic.

We're only just compiling the I-129F package so far, but I am trying to be prepared well in advance and I want to do the right thing. As my topic title suggested, I'm hoping for some assistance with the following questions...

2 = I think I saw a mention elsewhere that something like this is called 'moral turpitude' by the USCIS! Is that really true? :(

If the answer to either of the above questions is yes...

3 = Am I correct in assuming that it would then need to be mentioned, somewhere in the USCIS paper mountain... Possibly the K1 Packet 3 or 4? Can anyone tell me which form it would be on?

4 = Is it likely to prompt a denial at the interview and therefore require a waiver & hardship letter?

5 = If a denial is the likely outcome, is there any way to avoid the problem arising by sending in a written statement with as many details as possible prior to the interview? (Bearing in mind that neither I, nor the police, can produce any paperwork or accurate dates/details relating to this incident.)

Thanks for taking an interest, and once again, if you feel like putting the boot in, please don't.

Hopeful...

Hi:

Do the math: 15 is less than 16.

"The problem is all inside your head she said to me. The answer is easy if you take it logically. I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free." Paul Simon.

Hypertweeky Mar 25th 2005 6:29 am

Re: From USVisas Forum = "1977: 15yr old idiot stole LP, got caution. It counts for K1?"

Hopeful...

Dang what a long post! I had to get me a bucket of water because my mouth was drying off:)
I think you are stressing out way too much, If I were you I would wait and see what happens, don't worry until You need to:)
Take a chill pill (not offense intended) and have a very nice weekend!
Keep us posted.

Matthew Udall Mar 25th 2005 8:38 am

Re: Copy from USVisa = "1977: 15yr old idiot stole LP, got caution. It counts for K1?

Originally Posted by Laurie1st
For what it's worth, I think that the only REAL crime here is your poor taste in music. ;)

That's pretty funny. As a side note to this discussion, it seems people have no problem recognizing it's wrong to physically conceal an object in a store and try to make off with it. But it's really the same act when someone steals music using the internet (just because it might be easier to do and perhaps get away with it doesn't make it a legal thing to do). Wonder if the OP has ever done that since her first music theft at that tender age?

Hypertweeky Mar 25th 2005 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Matthew Udall
That's pretty funny. As a side note to this discussion, it seems people have no problem recognizing it's wrong to physically conceal an object in a store and try to make off with it. But it's really the same act when someone steals music using the internet (just because it might be easier to do and perhaps get away with it doesn't make it a legal thing to do). Wonder if the OP has ever done that since her first music theft at that tender age?

I don't think downloading music from P2P programs is unlawful, it's what you do with the material.. ;)

Matthew Udall Mar 25th 2005 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Hypertweeky
I don't think downloading music from P2P programs is unlawful, it's what you do with the material.. ;)

A while ago, I was going to purchase a Napster card, which licenses one to download 15 tunes from their site. I'd rather do it that way, as I hate buying a CD from a group only to find that there are only a few hits on it. But then I noticed I did not have the proper operating system specification to do that. I've recently purchased a new hot-rod laptop that I'll be bringing online soon, so I should be able to join the 21st century music distribution scene one of these days.

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2005 9:40 am

A while ago, I was going to purchase a Napster card, which licenses one to download 15 tunes from their site. I'd rather do it that way, as I hate buying a CD from a group only to find that there are only a few hits on it. But then I noticed I did not have the proper operating system specification to do that. I've recently purchased a new hot-rod laptop that I'll be bringing online soon, so I should be able to join the 21st century music distribution scene one of these days.

Hey Matt,

I've been trying to buy just the CD single called "Wating in Line", by a group called Zero 7. I browsed Amazon.com, but as you said, I didn't like any other song on that album except "Waiting in Line", which I adore. I finally caved last night and went to Borders to buy the whole CD since it seems the single isn't available anymore. Borders computer showed they have 1 copy of the CD, but we couldn't find it in the store where it should have been. This is one song I'd love to download if possible, from somewhere. It's a very cool song.

Rene

Hypertweeky Mar 25th 2005 10:04 am

You bought a napster card?;)
What kind of laptop?, My husband recently purchased a Sony Vaio K-37 and man that thing can even cook!!
:)

Bob Mar 25th 2005 10:18 am

In the states, it is illegal...in canada it isn't, it's just illegal to upload.
You have to own the copyright, or bought a license of the copyright before it becomes fair use, so if you bought a CD and then downloaded it instead of ripping it yourself, that would be legal.

ian-mstm Mar 25th 2005 10:23 am

In fact, the RIAA has agreed that downloading is not the issue. They indicate that, while downloading is a problem, it's not nearly as troublesome as those individuals who offer up the files so that they can be downloaded by others. When the RIAA started their subpoena rampage last year, they went after those who were sharing out the files on their hard drive... not those who were downloading the stuff. So, the tip here is... after you download tunes, move them someplace other than your "shared folder"!

Ian

Hypertweeky Mar 25th 2005 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In fact, the RIAA has agreed that downloading is not the issue. They indicate that, while downloading is a problem, it's not nearly as troublesome as those individuals who offer up the files so that they can be downloaded by others. When the RIAA started their subpoena rampage last year, they went after those who were sharing out the files on their hard drive... not those who were downloading the stuff. So, the tip here is... after you download tunes, move them someplace other than your "shared folder"!

Ian

I don't share files:) just because I knew you could get in trouble;)
Thanks for the piece of advice though.

SecretGarden Mar 25th 2005 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Borders computer showed they have 1 copy of the CD, but we couldn't find it in the store where it should have been.

Somebody probably lifted it for their boyfriend! :)

~SecretGarden

Noorah101 Mar 25th 2005 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Somebody probably lifted it for their boyfriend! :)

~SecretGarden

LOL....good one!!! :D

Rene