Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Congress and changes to USA immigration/sponsorship etc

Congress and changes to USA immigration/sponsorship etc

Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Anne4Lyske is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Congress and changes to USA immigration/sponsorship etc

Does anyone have an up to date handle on any of the stuff going through Congress? What has changed and is it easier to be sponsored into the USA by a family member now? My Dad, ex Brit, (92) is now a US citizen living in California and they previously told us that it would take 9 years for his sponsorship of me to go through. Hmm..........I'm his only next of kin, live in Scotland and no one is taking too kindly to my need to be here with him in these last days/ months...maybe even few years. Thanks.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Congress and changes to USA immigration/sponsorship etc

You describe your dad as an "ex-Brit" but unless he formally relinquished his UK citizenship he still is a UK. Citizen ...

... in which case have you and he considered the possibility of him moving back to the UK?

If he were to petition for you to immigrate to the US it would, indeed, take a long time - almost certainly longer than he has left.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your speedy response. Yes, I realize he is still a UK citizen. But there is also a bedridden 93 year old American step-mother involved too. A move back to the UK at this time is not possible. I thought that changes were being made to allow close family members of US citizens to immigrate here more quickly...easily...
But I can't seem to find out any real info...
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Lyske
I thought that changes were being made to allow close family members of US citizens to immigrate here more quickly...easily...
Unfortunately there are not (as far as I am aware) any changes in the works that would help you get here faster.

As an adult child of a US citizen you are looking at an approximately 10 year wait which, of course, is of no use to you in your situation.

I believe that all that you can realistically do is to visit frequently.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks. Funny how all this wretched bureaucracy rules our lives...and in some cases, ruins our lives. Ends our lives in worry and misery. And it's called a "Special Friendship". Both the UK side and the US side are vying with each other to restrict me from caring for my Dad in his old age. His end of days. And we poor mugs who live in democratic societies accept this level of interference in our personal lives. He's 92. An old soldier who fought in WWII and served in the Allied Forces for over 30 years. Now he just needs his daughter to look after him, but because the "pond" divides us he is being harassed to death by the worry and expense of finding air fares for me to go in and out every other 90 days or so. Meanwhile he frets and suffers. The Brits say I'm not there long enough to be called a resident, and the Americans can't wait to get rid of me every 90 days. Dad just wants the comfort of his cuppa and his daughter beside him....International boundaries be damned. Surely this should not be lot to ask in this day and age? For an old man who did his bit for freedom and democracy? Years ago, I used to have a green card but I couldn't maintain the annual visits so it ran out. Bureaucracy says it can't be activated again. Why not? Why just a simple not? Why doesn't the system serve the people? As it is we the people are serving the great golden calf of officialdom and legal process which is adamant, impenetrable, totally inflexible and heartless.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

You are currently looking at the least effective Congress in history even compared to the last one which was the previous holder of the title.

Nothing has changed yet do not hold your breath.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 4:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can not keep a Green Card through annual visits, it is for Permanent Residents.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 11:23 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You assume that immigration is there to serve the people. It isn't. It's there to keep non-USCs out of the US. While I have nothing but sympathy for you, I wonder if a B2 application might be looked upon favourably (giving you 6 months) due to the pressing family reasons?

As to changes in the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill, it's all but dead at this point. Again.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:10 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the decisions that we make in life have adverse consequences later in life that we cannot foresee. That doesn't mean that we made a bad or wrong decision, or that the rules that are established for the greater good should be ignored or changed to accomodate an unpleasant situation that we find ourselves in because of a past decision.

Regards, JEff
Old Sep 11th 2013, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

Would a B2 visa be an option here? Or would you need to work to support yourself while caring for your father?
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

I asked the London US Embassy for a 10 year B1/B2 visa and they gave me alimited 6 month one which runs out in late September. I am not entitled to work, and the Brits have cut my pension, so I can't win either way!
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

And it's called a "Special Friendship".
Sadly, it's all media hype. There is no special relationship between the US and the UK.

Both the UK side and the US side are vying with each other to restrict me from caring for my Dad in his old age.
I can't speak to the UK's position on this, but I can assure you that the US has no interest in your personal situation. There is a process to follow. If it doesn't work into a realistic timeline for you, then I suggest you should have started sooner!

... the Americans can't wait to get rid of me every 90 days.
US immigration law is written specifically to keep non-US citizens out of the US.

Years ago, I used to have a green card but I couldn't maintain the annual visits so it ran out.
It's a myth that annual visits to the US are sufficient to maintain your status as a US permanent resident. It's a myth that refuses to die. If you aren't actually a permanent resident (emphasis on "permanent" and "resident"), then - quite frankly - you deserve to lose the status.

Bureaucracy says it can't be activated again. Why not? Why just a simple not?
Why? Because it's not the card that needs activating... it's the status. You either lost it or gave it up... and you can't have it back until you reapply. If you don't want to reapply or don't have the time to reapply, that's hardly the fault of the US government. Quite simply, you shouldn't have left the US until you naturalized as a US citizen. Had you done that when you had the chance, we wouldn't now be having this pleasant discussion.

As it is we the people are serving the great golden calf of officialdom and legal process which is adamant, impenetrable, totally inflexible and heartless.
I regret that the time involved in processing an immigrant visa distresses you... but there are quotas on visas for a reason. The fact that it doesn't work in your favor just doesn't matter to the US government - nor should it.

Ian
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The situation is unfortunate but that's the choice we make on emigration. Not really the USA's problem.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

I asked the London US Embassy for a 10 year B1/B2 visa and they gave me alimited 6 month one which runs out in late September. I am not entitled to work, and the Brits have cut my pension, so I can't win either way!
I think you misunderstood what the 10 year B1/B2 gives you. It is valid for ten years with a maximum stay each time of six months.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

So, if you can get yourself over here by the end of the month, you'll be able to stay with your father until late March, 2014. And during that time you can request to extend your stay for an additional 6 months (form I-539).

If you're lucky, you might even be given a 1-year stay when you first enter.

Regards, JEff
I asked the London US Embassy for a 10 year B1/B2 visa and they gave me alimited 6 month one which runs out in late September.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.