Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ConfusedBritGirl's questions on moving to USA

ConfusedBritGirl's questions on moving to USA

Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

ConfusedBritGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ConfusedBritGirl's questions on moving to USA

Is it normal for things to take so long?? I am a total newbie but my boyfriend has potential job/sponsorship lined up in New York starting in September. I would obviously like to go with him, but from what I have read this us going to prove very difficult. I can apply for a cohabiting visa I believe.
I am a hairdresser/makeup artist and think it'd be extremely hard for me to find my own sponsorship, as from what I read there are many American citizen's that could do my job. Confusing!.....
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 221g Advice help needed please!!.

Originally Posted by ConfusedBritGirl
Is it normal for things to take so long?? I am a total newbie but my boyfriend has potential job/sponsorship lined up in New York starting in September. I would obviously like to go with him, but from what I have read this us going to prove very difficult. I can apply for a cohabiting visa I believe.
I am a hairdresser/makeup artist and think it'd be extremely hard for me to find my own sponsorship, as from what I read there are many American citizen's that could do my job. Confusing!.....
Are you worried about the 221g (administrative processing) issue, or are you just asking in general? Are you from the Middle East, are you Muslim, do you have a Muslim sounding name, etc?

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2013, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you worried about the 221g (administrative processing) issue, or are you just asking in general? Are you from the Middle East, are you Muslim, do you have a Muslim sounding name, etc?

Rene
I'm from England. My name's <<< snip >>>??.. Not Muslim sounding but who knows how American immigration will see it!
I'm nervous about the whole thing.. In a perfect world I would like to go out there with him & get a job etc.. But from what I've read I think this is going to be a tough step...

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 8th 2013 at 8:39 pm. Reason: Removed name
Old Feb 8th 2013, 6:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from England. My name's <<< snip >>>??.. Not Muslim sounding but who knows how American immigration will see it!
I'm nervous about the whole thing.. In a perfect world I would like to go out there with him & get a job etc.. But from what I've read I think this is going to be a tough step...
ConfusedBritGirl,

Since you probably won't be subject to the 221(g) or Administrative Processing problems, I've created a new thread specifically for your own questions.

Welcome to BE!

Rene

p.s. - to others reading this, her reference to "is it normal to take so long?" was from the thread she had first posted in, regarding the lengthy AP process.

Last edited by Noorah101; Feb 8th 2013 at 8:40 pm. Reason: Removed name
Old Feb 8th 2013, 7:01 pm

Default Re: ConfusedBritGirl's questions on moving to USA

...my boyfriend has potential job/sponsorship lined up in New York starting in September.
What visa will he be getting? Is he transferring via his current company, or is this a new company hiring him?

I would obviously like to go with him, but from what I have read this us going to prove very difficult. I can apply for a cohabiting visa I believe.
If you are currently living together, and can prove it, yes. But you won't be allowed to work in the USA.

I am a hairdresser/makeup artist and think it'd be extremely hard for me to find my own sponsorship, as from what I read there are many American citizen's that could do my job.
I agree.

Your best bet is to get married and get a derivative visa from whatever he gets. If he is getting an L1 (company transfer), you can get an L-2 which allows you to apply for work authorization in the USA. But if he's getting an H1B, you'll get an H4 which does not allow you to work in the USA, but it allows you to stay and live there with him for as long as he's there on his H1B.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I've created a new thread specifically for your own questions.
May I suggest you delete her real name from the forum... for her own protection.

Ian
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
May I suggest you delete her real name from the forum... for her own protection.

Ian
Thanks for catching that, Ian.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys! New to this forum thing!...
He is being hired by a new company and you have told me what I already thought was the case. Yes we live together so your advice is a relief! And I guess I will have to get used to the idea of being a "house wife"!
In your opinions what would the chance be of me finding my own sponsor once out there? Does this happen often? My current employment has connections in USA so at the very least was thinking I could do some voluntary work. Would this be allowed on the B2 visa?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:27 pm

In your opinions what would the chance be of me finding my own sponsor once out there?
In the realm of hairdressing/makeup, I'd say impossible, unless you do an investment visa for an existing business, or opening your own business.

Does this happen often?
Not in your line of work, no.

My current employment has connections in USA so at the very least was thinking I could do some voluntary work. Would this be allowed on the B2 visa?
It depends. A B-2 holder is allowed to do true volunteer work, such as working in a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, public library, etc. They are not allowed to do a job that would normally be a paid position, for free. The job must be a volunteer job in which NO one ever would get paid, not even a USC.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

*sorry H4
I've read so much getting muddled with all my letters & numbers!!!!!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:28 pm

*sorry H4
I've read so much getting muddled with all my letters & numbers!!!!!
H-4 restrictions are the same as B-2 restrictions.

Rene
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
I don't have financial back up for an investment visa and seeing as my business relies hugely on returning clients I shouldn't imagine it counts as moving an existing business, as I would b starting afresh with client base. Unless of course I open and advertise a salon for the Expats! We all know English hairdressers are miles better than US!!!!!!
But as I said, I do not have finances for setting up a business.

I guess I have a big decision to make, as the final decision lays on me. I've never been out of work since I was 14years old (15 yrs ago) have in fact often had 2 jobs, am what some might call a workaholic! This is my boyfriends dream job..what he has wanted for years. But would I be satisfied at home all day every day.....
So, for example, if he completes the 2 year contract under the H1B visa he could then apply for a green card? Does this solely mean only he can apply for work and I would be in the same position?
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:19 pm

Thank you!
I don't have financial back up for an investment visa and seeing as my business relies hugely on returning clients I shouldn't imagine it counts as moving an existing business, as I would b starting afresh with client base. Unless of course I open and advertise a salon for the Expats! We all know English hairdressers are miles better than US!!!!!!
But as I said, I do not have finances for setting up a business.

I guess I have a big decision to make, as the final decision lays on me. I've never been out of work since I was 14years old (15 yrs ago) have in fact often had 2 jobs, am what some might call a workaholic! This is my boyfriends dream job..what he has wanted for years. But would I be satisfied at home all day every day.....
So, for example, if he completes the 2 year contract under the H1B visa he could then apply for a green card? Does this solely mean only he can apply for work and I would be in the same position?
If his company will sponsor his green card, and you guys are married, you can also get one. The application includes a form for work authorization so you can work while waiting for the green card. There's no 2 year period...it's up to the employer when to apply. Best to get a specific date in the job offer or employment contact.

Rene
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It can take a looooong time to get a GC.

Most Hairdressers here seem to be self employed.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:04 am
Just Joined

But with a H-4 or B-2 visa I can't work self employed either us this correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.