Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

ConfusedBritGirl's questions on moving to USA

ConfusedBritGirl's questions on moving to USA

Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ConfusedBritGirl's questions on moving to USA

We received our Green Cards in Jan 2013, approximately 1 year after the company started the process. We arrived on a H1B in Oct 2010. There weren't many hitches or delays, so I doubt you can do it much less time than that if the employer has to do PDW and PERM. We filed under EB2-ROW which is "usually" current, but there was a 2-3 month period last year when it retrogressed 3.5 years. So nothing is guaranteed.
The EADs arrived for my family about 1 week before the Green Cards, so we didn't need them in the end.

But we are married. I have no idea how the Green Card or H1B process applies to unmarried couples? Indeed, even if you get married, there may be more demands on you from the USCIS to prove you have a long term relationship?
I seem to remember Gerard Depardieu had a hard time in that film ;-)
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If they are not married game over.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I have no idea how the Green Card or H1B process applies to unmarried couples?
It doesn't apply at all. If they aren't legally married, the trailing girlfriend/boyfriend can't get a green card.

Rene
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Boiler
If they are not married game over.
Yes I thought so. Oh well it's almost Valentines Day! I had a colleague who married his long term partner so she could join him in the US office on a H1B/H4 followed by a GC.

Not a very romantic reason for proposing, but pragmatic.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

ConfusedBritGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry yes I was aware GC is only applicable if married. We can prove we're a long term couple/living together (which allows me to accompany him on his H1b. We had talked about marriage even before this job was in the equation, so (a girl can only assume)..marriage will be on the cards at some point within the next year! Depends on the size of the diamond of course!!!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ConfusedBritGirl
Sorry yes I was aware GC is only applicable if married. We can prove we're a long term couple/living together (which allows me to accompany him on his H1b. We had talked about marriage even before this job was in the equation, so (a girl can only assume)..marriage will be on the cards at some point within the next year! Depends on the size of the diamond of course!!!!!!!
That will make things simpler and congratulations in advance

You should also make sure his company's medical policy will include you too and make sure there are no 1st year exceptions. We once had a BUPA international policy where maternity costs were not covered for the first 11 months of the policy! What else can a H4 wife do after all!
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:44 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No, a bona fide marriage is what needs to be demonstrated. A long-term relationship is usually good evidence of a bona fide marriage, but it is not the same thing.

This situation is interesting in that regard. There has been a long-term relationship but no marriage. If they continue on and do not marry for a few more years until the guy applies to immigrate, so that she can likewise apply to immigrate, is it a bona fide marriage? Or, is it a marriage entered into only so that she can immigrate?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
Indeed, even if you get married, there may be more demands on you from the USCIS to prove you have a long term relationship?

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Feb 12th 2013 at 8:46 pm.