Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Confused about medical records and what I need

Wikiposts

Confused about medical records and what I need

Old Nov 28th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confused about medical records and what I need

I am in the process of filing for a AOS. I just got married last month and I am in the USA. We have a immigration lawyer who has given us a complete list of what information we need etc.

She mentioned I need a medical, so I followed the link she provided to the list of civil surgeons and found a few in our area. I am still a bit confused though about the process though.

I am a 32yr male from the UK, I honestly cant remember the last time I ever saw a doctor back in the UK or had any kind of vaccinations. I guess I had the regular stuff that kids have at school, I remember the sugar cube thing but thats about it. Do I need anything from my UK doctor, or if I make a appointment with a civil surgeon in the USA will they just give me everything I need?

Does anyone know how much something like this costs, one guy quoted me $250 and then someone else said it could cost upto $500 with lab work. Is there anyway to save ourself some money here, or are we just going to have to bite the bullet?

Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2009, 2:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused about medical records and what I need

If you have vaccination records from the UK, it helps to have those to show the civil surgeon. If you don't have records, the civil surgeon can probably do an assesment of what you might need in the way of vaccinations, based on your age and where you're from...there might also be some kind of test he can do to see what you've had.

If you end up needing vaccinations, you can get them through any other doctor (perhaps one covered by your health insurance).

You can bring proof of those vaccinations to the civil surgeon for the rest of hte medical to be done.

Prices will vary depending on the individual civil surgeon...they set their own price...probably the $250 to $500 range sounds about right, depending on where you live.

Rene
Old Nov 28th 2009, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I think I will phone my folks in the UK and see if they know anything about vaccinations I may or may not have had as a kid.

I just don't want to end up paying $300 for a appointment with a civil surgeon only then to be told to come back with xyz vaccination and then having to pay another $300 again for a 2nd appointment.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 3:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are married so I'm about the ask if your spouse is working and has medical insurance and if you are listed as a participant. If so, any shots that you need you can obtain your family doctor which would be covered under your medical insurance and bring the proof with you to the civil surgeon's office. I know off the bat you are going to need the tetanus jab. I'm sure you have had the MMR, polio and TB jabs. These are standard vaccinations in both the UK and the US.

What isn't standard is the Chicken Pox vaccination that we have in the US but you don't have in the UK.

Also your family physican can do a test for antibodies for CP to see if you had it as a child. If you had, then you don't need the jab.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

My wife is working and does have medical insurance, its with Walmart (yay for Wally world l). I am not actually on her insurance plan, I didnt think I could get put on her plan until I got my green card etc.

I am more than willing to get these all done, I just dont want to be spending money where there is no need.

I cant remember ever having chicken pox as a kid, I remember the mumps but not chicken pox. As for a Tetanus jab thats a no also.

Its weird though being from the UK, paying for healthcare never came into my head at all. Now that I am in the USA, I am worried about paying huge medical bills when I dont need to.

I presume when I go for my medical that the doctor there can give me everything I need and test for everything right? Like I stated before I just dont want to spend $500 on a medical only then to be told I will need to come back with xyz vaccination.

Thank you again for the help
Old Nov 29th 2009, 6:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WVDreamer
My wife is working and does have medical insurance, its with Walmart (yay for Wally world l). I am not actually on her insurance plan, I didnt think I could get put on her plan until I got my green card etc.

I am more than willing to get these all done, I just dont want to be spending money where there is no need.

I cant remember ever having chicken pox as a kid, I remember the mumps but not chicken pox. As for a Tetanus jab thats a no also.

Its weird though being from the UK, paying for healthcare never came into my head at all. Now that I am in the USA, I am worried about paying huge medical bills when I dont need to.

I presume when I go for my medical that the doctor there can give me everything I need and test for everything right? Like I stated before I just dont want to spend $500 on a medical only then to be told I will need to come back with xyz vaccination.

Thank you again for the help
You are eligible by law to be on her plan the moment you are married. She might have to pay extra for you but you are entitled to be on her plan. Your residency should not even be considered.

Find a clinic in your area that will cost you only a few dollars for a visit and have the tetanus shot there. And yes, the civil surgeon can do all your immunizations there. He might not be able to do the xray but the rest he can do.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:05 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

The last doctor you were registered with in the UK should have all your medical records. Even if you have not been to see him / her for years they should all still be there

Before I went for my medical I got a print out of my full medical records from my GP and it cost me 10 pounds - I took that to the medical and they used the vaccination info off there.

Since we got to the US (nearly a year ago) I've had to produce my kids medical records 3 times, and all their vaccination history has now been transcribed into the right format for both OH and KY, but I will still be keeping a hold of the original UK one!

If you can remember who your last doctor was, it might be worth giving it a shot
Old Nov 29th 2009, 7:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WVDreamer
She can add you to her health insurance plan, now that you are married. It might be a higher premium to pay, but you'll then be covered. No need to wait for your green card for that.

The USCIS civil surgeon CAN do everything there in his office, but it can cost more to get the immunizations done there than other places. You are allowed to get the immunizations done elsewhere and bring proof to the USCIS civil surgeon. I don't think they will charge you for another office visit...but something to ask them.

Health care in the USA can be a huge expense, so it's best to get on your wife's health plan ASAP. My alien husband recently had to go to the ER for a kidney stone attack. The total bill for 6 hours in ER came to $17,000. But since he was on my insurance, we only had to pay $100.

Rene