Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Cond. Perm. Resident and Soc Sec Card

Wikiposts

Cond. Perm. Resident and Soc Sec Card

Old Mar 8th 2004, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

egipto26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cond. Perm. Resident and Soc Sec Card

Hello.
My husband just arrived in the USA with an Immigrant Visa. He is now a Conditional Permanent Resident for 2 years.
He has a stamp in his passport which says he is a conditional resident until March 2006 and that employment is authorized.
I just have a few questions- should he expect an official 'CPR' card in the mail with his picture soon or does he just use his passport for now to show that he is a CPR?
I'd appreciate to hear from someone who knows about the conditional permanent residence and what he needs to do now in order to start to look for employment. Is the next step he should take is to apply for the social sec card? Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 6:09 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cond. Perm. Resident and Soc Sec Card

Originally posted by egipto26
Hello.
My husband just arrived in the USA with an Immigrant Visa. He is now a Conditional Permanent Resident for 2 years.
He has a stamp in his passport which says he is a conditional resident until March 2006 and that employment is authorized.
I just have a few questions- should he expect an official 'CPR' card in the mail with his picture soon or does he just use his passport for now to show that he is a CPR?
I'd appreciate to hear from someone who knows about the conditional permanent residence and what he needs to do now in order to start to look for employment. Is the next step he should take is to apply for the social sec card? Thanks for your help.
Yes as far as I am aware he should expect a card. Recently people seem to have been receiving them in about 3 weeks. However it can take over a year, haphazard is not the word for it.

To get a SSN I'd wait a couple of weeks and then go to the SSA and apply for one, showing the stamp in his passport as proof of his status, they will need a secondary ID also from what I remember.

The waiting is so that hopefully he will be in the SAVE system so they can verify his status as required.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 12:07 am
Banned

Katie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Egipto,

My husband arrived on an immigrant visa on January 12. On January 31, he received his card in the mail (it was preceded by three welcome notices the day before). Until the card arrived, he used his passport as proof of his status.

He took his passport to the SS office the day after her arrived, and his SS card was mailed to him about one week later. He also went to DMV a day or two after he arrived with his passport and was able to get a icense. (I still amazed that he passed the written test.)

As for work, he might as well start looking now. Hopefully, by the time he has an offer he will have his SS card or at least the number.

Best wishes,
Katie
Old Mar 9th 2004, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

masri is an unknown quantity at this point

Egipto & Katie,

My wife will (hopefully) be arriving with a CR1 early summer, so I was wondering the same thing about the CPR card.

But the other question I have is regarding the SSN card; isn't there a question on the DS-230 that asks if they want a SSN card issued? And if you check yes, doesn't that mean they will automatically assign you a number and mail you an SSN card just as they do with the CPR card?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Originally posted by Katie
Hi Egipto,

My husband arrived on an immigrant visa on January 12. On January 31, he received his card in the mail (it was preceded by three welcome notices the day before). Until the card arrived, he used his passport as proof of his status.

He took his passport to the SS office the day after her arrived, and his SS card was mailed to him about one week later. He also went to DMV a day or two after he arrived with his passport and was able to get a icense. (I still amazed that he passed the written test.)

As for work, he might as well start looking now. Hopefully, by the time he has an offer he will have his SS card or at least the number.

Best wishes,
Katie
Old Mar 9th 2004, 9:53 am
Michael D. Young

egipto26 wrote:

> I'd appreciate to hear from someone who knows about the conditional
    > permanent residence and what he needs to do now in order to start to
    > look for employment. Is the next step he should take is to apply for
    > the social sec card?

If he said he wanted an SSN when he filed out the DS-230 and doesn't
receive his SSN card after being in the U.S. for 3 weeks or at least by the
time his I-551 card arrives, he needs to go into the nearest SSA office
with his birth certificate, passport and either the I-551 card or stamp.

RM 00202.315 Enumeration At Entry

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202315

Employer Responsibilities When Hiring Foreign Workers

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/hiring.htm

Old Mar 9th 2004, 1:35 pm
L D Jones

masri wrote:
    >
    > Egipto & Katie,
    >
    > My wife will (hopefully) be arriving with a CR1 early
    > summer, so I was wondering the same thing about the CPR card.
    >
    > But the
    > other question I have is regarding the SSN card; isn't there a question
    > on the DS-230 that asks if they want a SSN card issued? And if you check
    > yes, doesn't that mean they will automatically assign you a number and
    > mail you an SSN card just as they do with the CPR card?
    >
    > Anyone have any
    > experience with this?

We saw that note on the DS-230 too and I thought it wouldn't "work"
correctly if we selected 'yes' so we visited an SSA office in person to
apply for one. It seemed "safer" somehow. It only takes 15 minutes or so
(though we did go on a Wednesday morning)