Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill To Be Introduced In House Tomorrow

Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill To Be Introduced In House Tomorrow

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:37 am
Carl Shusterman

Default Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill To Be Introduced In House Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Representatives Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill) and Jeff Flake (R-Ariz)
will introduce the long-awaited comprehensive immigration reform bill in the
House of Representatives.

The bill will require illegal immigrants to leave the United States and
return legally in

order to be eligible for legalization and eventual citizenship.

The bill would beef up border and interior immigration enforcement, but
would provide more

visa numbers to reverse the retrogression faced by hundreds of thousands of
persons attempting

to immigrate through the employment and family-based preference systems.

Both the DREAM Act and the AgJobs bill are part of the legislation. The
bill provides for up

to 400,000 unskilled workers to enter the U.S. annually as guest workers.

We will provide more details about the legislation as soon as it is
introduced tomorrow, and

will analyze the bill in detail in the April issue of our free, e-mail
newsletter.

************************************************** ******************************

Carl Shusterman served as a Trial Attorney for the U.S. Immigration Service
(1976-82) before entering private practice. He heads a five-attorney firm
specializing

exclusively in immigration law. He maintains an extensive website entitled
"Immigration: A Practical Guide to Immigrating to the U.S." containing over
1,000 articles

on all phases of immigration law. He is the author of SHUSTERMAN'S
IMMIGRATION UPDATE, a free, monthly e-mail newsletter on immigration laws
and procedures. You can subscribe online at
http://shusterman.com/subscribe.html

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:02 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill To Be Introduced In House Tomorrow

Hi Carl,

I've read a lot about the CIR bill, would it affect people from other countries other than Mexico? Everything I've read/heard about seems to affect illegal Mexicans (please, no offense meant here), but as I'm going through the I-601 process I'm curious.
I've seen good things happening with the pilot program in CDJ, which I know is CDJ only, but I really aren't sure about the rest of it.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill To Be Introduced In House Tomorrow

Originally Posted by workboresme
Hi Carl,

I've read a lot about the CIR bill, would it affect people from other countries other than Mexico? Everything I've read/heard about seems to affect illegal Mexicans (please, no offense meant here), but as I'm going through the I-601 process I'm curious.
I've seen good things happening with the pilot program in CDJ, which I know is CDJ only, but I really aren't sure about the rest of it.
If you are currently in the process you will be out of it well before any legislation is enacted.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:19 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carl Shusterman
The bill .......
would provide more

visa numbers to reverse the retrogression faced by hundreds of thousands of
persons attempting

to immigrate through the employment and family-based preference systems.

And yet it's impossible to find out anymore about this. All the discussion is focussed on illegal immigration and unskilled workers.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:58 am
Hull lass

workboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond reputeworkboresme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
If you are currently in the process you will be out of it well before any legislation is enacted.
That's what I've been led to understand through everything I've read, but I've been in the (I-601) process 4 months with no end in sight and am genuinely curious to know how it could affect me if I have to go to appeal or re-file.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

My opinion - A new born should be eligible for U.S citizenship only if BOTH parents are legal. Is that covered?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildestkabs
My opinion - A new born should be eligible for U.S citizenship only if BOTH parents are legal. Is that covered?
Even the Bushies had to admit this week that the Constitution was a bit too obviously black and white on this issue.
No.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Even the Bushies had to admit this week that the Constitution was a bit too obviously black and white on this issue.
No.
I thought it was an amendment with a Supreme Court interpretation? A rather odd one as the amendment dealt with the consequences of slavery, not illegals.

Anyway the only think that we can be certain of is that any bill will not be reform and will not be comprehensive.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

wildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to allwildestkabs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Boiler
Anyway the only think that we can be certain of is that any bill will not be reform and will not be comprehensive.
Shusterman says, "The bill will require illegal immigrants to leave the United States and return legally in order to be eligible for legalization and eventual citizenship." Thats a little too generalized and non-descriptive.

Leave voluntarily? Or be deported? Will they be slapped with bans on re-entry? Or can they be eligible for re-entry immediately, even if they have been illegal for years?

Last edited by wildestkabs; Mar 22nd 2007 at 5:10 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

i am with u on that one... like it is in europe. Just because ur born in a country should not give u their rights as a citizen
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm would they rescind citizenship then for those of us who obtained citizenship based on one USC parent while the other was an unmarried foreign born parent and still living in another country?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmm would they rescind citizenship then for those of us who obtained citizenship based on one USC parent while the other was an unmarried foreign born parent and still living in another country?
I am not talking about going back and starting to revoke citizenships.

Maybe from the future, if only one parent lives in the US when a child is born, then the child should be awarded citizenship only when the US parent can certify under penalty of perjury, that the other parent is not a resident of the US. That statement should remain in effect, forever, or till the foreign spouse immigrates to the United States, proof of which, should invalidate the declaration.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:13 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I am not talking about going back and starting to revoke citizenships.

Maybe from the future, if only one parent lives in the US when a child is born, then the child should be awarded citizenship only when the US parent can certify under penalty of perjury, that the other parent is not a resident of the US. That statement should remain in effect, forever, or till the foreign spouse immigrates to the United States, proof of which, should invalidate the declaration.
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that the same thing?

USC parent resides in US + Foreign parent resides abroad = Child is a USC

USC parent AND Foreign parent reside in the US = Child is a USC

It sound like you're saying the only time you think a child born to one USC parent is if the USC parent resides abroad and the foreign parent resides in the US. That makes little sense to me.

It becomes a slippery slope. What's next? A child born abroad to a couple of mixed citizenship can't be a USC because he wasn't born on US soil?

~ Jenney
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that the same thing?

USC parent resides in US + Foreign parent resides abroad = Child is a USC

It sound like you're saying the only time you think a child born to one USC parent is if the USC parent resides abroad and the foreign parent resides in the US.

That makes little sense to me.
Of course, what you are saying makes little sense to me as well. You did not miss something, you missed the whole point.

I am totally confused on where you picked up the "USC parent resides abroad and the foreign parent resides in the US" part. Maybe you need to read my post again.

Is the "US parent" part that got you confused? US parent = USC parent.

Off topic question to moderator(s): Why do I automatically get subscribed to every thread?

Last edited by wildestkabs; Mar 23rd 2007 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

As with the UK, u have to prove that one or ur parents is a UK citizen to become a UK citizen urself, dont give a damn where u reside, but parent must be in possession of a UK birth certificate or UK right to ciizenship to give rights to child.

Too many people give birth to USC here(because of birth on us soil) and then bugger off to their own country leaving masses of medical bills, or remain in this country illegally therefore draining the system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.