British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Completing n-400 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/completing-n-400-a-933052/)

freerskier Jun 6th 2020 8:46 pm

Completing n-400

Just starting the n-400 online and have everything together on a paper copy to go from - excited! Couple of clarifications if anyone knows -
1) Q5 - Is your current spouse a US citizen. Well I live with my girlfriend - is living with someone "officially" USCISwise = spouse - we share a tenancy, the bills etc. Not sure but I don't think it counts as Q8 asks what date did I marry my current spouse, well we are not married.
2) Q23 - I had a DUI in the UK in 1995. I've declared it on all forms I've submitted in the past from visas to my LPR application. Even though its a long time ago I assume its still wise to include this?

Thanks folks.

SanDiegogirl Jun 6th 2020 9:29 pm

Re: Completing n-400

I have looked at the old hard copy form and there it asks you your marital status.

Presuming you are doing an online version, have you stated you are married? Don't understand why it would be asking about your spouse unless you had already said you had one - which you don't.

freerskier Jun 6th 2020 9:36 pm

Yeah, I printed the current version of the n-400 to help when I fill in on line - Part 5 Q5 asks about current spouse which when you read down seems to mean married. My current marriage status though is divorced, but I live with my girlfriend. Could all be semantics but my girlfriend is my partner, but is she my spouse in USCIS terms if we are not married - don't think so but...

freerskier Jun 6th 2020 9:45 pm

...there's also a question about Children that I ignored before but want to get things right. Didn't seem relevant but it asks about children. I don't have any but my girlfriend's 13 year old lives with us some of the time and his dad some of the time. Is that a "Child liveing with you" or, as he isn't MY child it doesn't matter on the form. I am guessing the latter.

SanDiegogirl Jun 6th 2020 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by freerskier (Post 12862982)
Yeah, I printed the current version of the n-400 to help when I fill in on line - Part 5 Q5 asks about current spouse which when you read down seems to mean married. My current marriage status though is divorced, but I live with my girlfriend. Could all be semantics but my girlfriend is my partner, but is she my spouse in USCIS terms if we are not married - don't think so but...

I'm looking at Form N-400 OMB- N1615-0052 Expires 9/30/2022

Section 5 is all about your Residence. Section 10 is about your marital history. The first questions asks what is your status? You answer divorced. All other questions relating to your current spouse you can put Not Applicable and go to Q 9 which asks about your previous spouse.

Your girlfriend is not your spouse.

Noorah101 Jun 6th 2020 10:00 pm

Your girlfriend is not your spouse.

Since you are not married, her child is not yours, so you have no children.

Rene

Guindalf Jun 6th 2020 10:51 pm

^^^^^
This.

Although naturalization is one action the US WANTS you to take when available, the same rules apply as for all official forms...

Answer all questions truthfully and ONLY respond with what is asked. Example: The answer to 'Do you know what the time is?' is 'Yes'.

To underline, your girlfriend is not your spouse and her daughter is not your child. End of.

RICH Jun 6th 2020 10:57 pm

Mate. Unless you are married to a us citizen. You don't need to worry about a n400

Noorah101 Jun 6th 2020 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12863005)
Mate. Unless you are married to a us citizen. You don't need to worry about a n400

??? He does need to complete an N-400 in order to become a USC, whether he has a USC spouse or not. I do agree he doesn't need to worry. The N-400 and naturalization process is not difficult.

Rene

freerskier Jun 7th 2020 7:49 pm

Thanks everyone - the affirmations 'n all.

TheKingOfHearts Jun 9th 2020 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12863005)

Incorrect, if he has held his GC for longer than 5 years and ISN'T married to a USC, he's still eligible to file an N400. Your comment is only relevant for those not married to USC's that haven't been a GC holder for 5 years.