Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Completed Naturalization-Cleveland

Completed Naturalization-Cleveland

Old May 5th 2004, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

SundarV is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Completed Naturalization-Cleveland

Originally posted by stevelisaw
Congratulations Sundar!!!! And an early Happy Anniversary to you and your lovely wife!

Have a safe trip......bring back lots of warm weather....and the wife hopefully will be soon to follow.

Lisa

Lisa,
Thank you very much for your wishes. It is going to be a nice anniversary. I will be in Delhi on May 10 to file for DCF.

Steve oath ceremony is coming up day after. All the best for it.

I read Chennai has monsoon now. It is good as they were having water shortage. I do hope warm weather follows me here.

Marius, Steve, Jamie and all should meet middle of June or so to celebrate completion of the journey.
Sundar
Old May 5th 2004, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

suiram is an unknown quantity at this point

I read Chennai has monsoon now. It is good as they were having water shortage. I do hope warm weather follows me here.
Then keep that "warm weather" where it belongs

Re: meetings - I'm in for it.
Old May 5th 2004, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

jamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant future

Lisa:

I have an N-400 interview (based on marriage to USC).
Is it necessary to take your spouse though the letter does not
mention I need to. She has a scheduling conflict.

I am asking you since Steve's was similar case.

Thanks

Congratulations Sundar!!!! And an early Happy Anniversary to you and your lovely wife!

Have a safe trip......bring back lots of warm weather....and the wife hopefully will be soon to follow.

Lisa
Old May 5th 2004, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jamie01
Lisa:

I have an N-400 interview (based on marriage to USC).
Is it necessary to take your spouse though the letter does not
mention I need to. She has a scheduling conflict.

I am asking you since Steve's was similar case.

Thanks
Jamie,

No you don't need to take your spouse. In fact they refused to allow me to go in to the interview with Steve.

Actually this was funny as Steve hasn't done any paperwork since the initial I-485/I-130 and told the officer so...said "but me wife knows where everything is in the file folders"......his reply was "well you better hope you can find it without her if I ask for it!"

Lisa
Old May 5th 2004, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

jamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant futurejamie01 has a brilliant future

Thanks Lisa!

In my case (perhaps I think) I know where things are:-)

Jamie,

No you don't need to take your spouse. In fact they refused to allow me to go in to the interview with Steve.

Actually this was funny as Steve hasn't done any paperwork since the initial I-485/I-130 and told the officer so...said "but me wife knows where everything is in the file folders"......his reply was "well you better hope you can find it without her if I ask for it!"

Lisa
Old May 6th 2004, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by SundarV
Lisa,
Thank you very much for your wishes. It is going to be a nice anniversary. I will be in Delhi on May 10 to file for DCF.

Steve oath ceremony is coming up day after. All the best for it.

Marius, Steve, Jamie and all should meet middle of June or so to celebrate completion of the journey.
Sundar
May 10th!! Oh that's good news! DCF is so much quicker and you two have waited long enough.

I've passed on your well wishes to Steve and he sends his thanks, hard to believe he's to be sworn in tomorrow.

A get together sounds good......can wifeys come? (Maybe we should wait until your DCF I-130 approval?)

Lisa
Old May 6th 2004, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Lisa!

In my case (perhaps I think) I know where things are:-)
LOL.....well that's a good thing! I think I got the short end of the stick with our immigration process......Steve did all the initial paperwork as he didn't have an EAD and plenty of time on his hands and left me to do the rest, which included a Second EAD, I-751 and N-400 paperwork. (Collecting evidence, etc as well.......he just got his piccies taken and signed the paperwork.)

But tomorrow it's all done.......bye bye immigration!

Lisa
Old May 6th 2004, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

May 10th!! Oh that's good news! DCF is so much quicker and you two have waited long enough.

I've passed on your well wishes to Steve and he sends his thanks, hard to believe he's to be sworn in tomorrow.

A get together sounds good......can wifeys come? (Maybe we should wait until your DCF I-130 approval?)

Lisa
Thank you for your wishes. I am waiting in O'Hare as I type this reply to catch Lufthansa. I have made this trip so often that I know Frankfurt airport as well as Cleveland Hopkins!

I think Sujata would be here by Aug. It seems to take 3 months for the second interview. Hopefully, she comes here before the start of fall semester.

Once again congrats to steve, please do take lot of pics. I am sure all of you are very excited.

Talk to you guys later.

Sundar
Old May 25th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Was naturalized May 21.

Short recap:
N400, Cleveland, NSC;
NOA 12/03/2002
FP 04/11/2003
INT. 03/11/2004
OATH 05/21/2004
Old May 25th 2004, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by suiram
Was naturalized May 21.

Short recap:
N400, Cleveland, NSC;
NOA 12/03/2002
FP 04/11/2003
INT. 03/11/2004
OATH 05/21/2004
Marius,
Congrats on completing the long journey. Hopefully you don't have to deal with USCIS in the near future. I hope you won't disappear from the newsgroup as your input would be helpful for other people going through this process.

I will be back in US on May 31. Maybe we can organize some get together with other people in June.

Congrats again.

Sundar
Old May 25th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by suiram
Was naturalized May 21.

Short recap:
N400, Cleveland, NSC;
NOA 12/03/2002
FP 04/11/2003
INT. 03/11/2004
OATH 05/21/2004
Wooooooo hoooooooooooo! Congrats Marius!! And on such a good day......Ian, my son turned 14 that day.

Lisa
Old May 25th 2004, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! Getting together in June sounds like a fine idea.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

N400 interview today. Officer suggested that I change to applying based on 5 year LPR (instead of 3 year USC spouse) as there are fewer things to check. At end, I said I will go with my original choice and the officer seemed a bit upset. Looked over joint accounts etc. I had lot more to show but the officer said that is enough. Went over overseas trip dates, had too many since I have been an LPR for a while. Perhaps some dates did not match officer's computer, not sure. The officer said if they need more documents they will write me. Interview appeared a bit rushed.

I passed english and history and the case could not be decided at this time. I will have to wait and see. I'm taking most of summer off

God Bless

Originally posted by SundarV
At last my Journey to become a US citizen came to an end yesterday in the Federal Court House, Cleveland.

I was scheduled for 1 PM. I arrived at the courthouse at 12 PM and caught the end of the morning ceremony.

At 1 PM, USCIS officer came and started calling names for people to check in. Many people forgot to fill the back of the oath ceremony letter or they signed a date before the date of ceremony. When you go to check-in they ask you to sign your naturalization certificate too.

The judge came in at 2 PM and gave a brief speech about her grandparents being immigrants. She asked some people to talk about the people they are thanful to come to this point.

This was followed by administration of oath. Following the oath administration, the naturalization certificate was distributed.

Overall, it took about 30 minutes after Judge came in. I was out of the place by 2:30 PM.

Please note, you do not have passport application at this place. Also, the court is not an acceptance facility. I went down to Cleveland main post office to give my passport application.

Now I am waiting for application, so that I can make my trip to India on May 6.

I want to thank all the people who helped me through the process. Especially all the moral support from fellow clevelanders, Lisa, Marius, Jamie and anyone else I have forgotten.

Thanks again

Sundar
Old Jun 15th 2004, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Congratulations!

It is possible to reach Cleveland BCIS - "Call (216) 535-0530 between the hours of 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday". They are quite good when you get through.

Good luck!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

I passed english and history and the case could not be decided at this time. I will have to wait and see. I'm taking most of summer off

God Bless
Congratulation!

So they did not approve the application because of security check? or did they give any other reason?

Sundar