Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Complete OT: Jim's OutPatient Surgical Experience Today

Complete OT: Jim's OutPatient Surgical Experience Today

Old Nov 8th 2002, 4:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complete OT: Jim's OutPatient Surgical Experience Today

Actually Bea, my knowledge of Canadian healthcare is from being married to a Canadian for four years, having numerous friends since 1992 who are Canadian and have gone through cancer treatments in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and Saskatuwan (forgive my spelling) and my in-laws in Quebec and the reading of a daily Canadian newspaper online.

My husband and his family have always impressed upon me that the quality of healthcare differs in Canada as to the province you live in. Never did I say that once you were being treated that your treatment was inferior but I did say that treatment is not always with the most current methodology, as speedy, or as all encompassing as to current testing and treatment as many major cities in the US.

I'm a cancer survivor and USC and opened a cancer-survivor chatroom in 1992 with a Canadian friend who was also a survivor. You would be horrified to hear some of the treatment stories we have heard from Canada, the US, Amsterdam, Germany, England and Italy. Our group evolved to include online pharmacists, oncologists, surgrical nurses and hospice nurses. As heartwretching as it is to lose those we have become personal friends with on this channel to the disease we all fought, there are more moments of compensating happiness and fulfillment knowing that being a friend who can listen and relate to the physical, emotional and isolating loneliness that is this disease.

I realize that pregnancy issues and US healthcare are not treated as fairly as illnesses. It wasn't back in 1968 either when I was pregnant for the first time. My then husband worked for the postal service and had excellent health insurance but even then they would not pay for infant care in the hospital unless there was a problem. So my doctor worked around it by having her placed in an isolete for 24 hours because of "low body temperature". The insurance paid 100% of the claim.

As I said in my original post, Jim and I are very lucky that we live near a large metropolitan area where good quality healthcare and doctors and nurses are a given for people with insurance and that we have such excellent insurance through our employers at a fraction of the cost of private insurance. I know one day in the not too distant future we will be retired and faced with the serious issues facing senior citizens and medicaid or is that medicare and private supplementary insurance.

Oh and FTR my daughter, age 31, has private health insurance. She pays $269 a month for this and has only a $100 deductible per annum. She started a new job yesterday and in 90 days will have employer issued healthcare at the cost of $25 a month and $10 a month for dental.

Originally posted by Bea
What you read in the US papers vs. what you experience in Canada with
healthcare are very different. I've lived there for 35 years, gone
through 3 surgeries, and found my care to be excellent. And it was a
nice feeling to know that anyone in the whole country could have
gotten that treatment.
Yes - I had to go for an MRI at 2am - but that's because they don't
waste like they do in the States. They run these expensive machines
around the clock. The waste that goes on in the US medical system
makes me sick.
And after my recent experience of getting pregnant and finding out
that private insurance won't even consider us until after the baby is
born (oh - they will if we pay $1000/month indefinately), I'm ready to
move back to Canada, where they'll always take care of you no matter
what. It sucks if you don't work for a big company with health
benefits in this country.
Old Nov 8th 2002, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Actually Bea, my knowledge of Canadian healthcare is from being married to a Canadian for four years, having numerous friends since 1992 who are Canadian and have gone through cancer treatments in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and Saskatuwan (forgive my spelling) and my in-laws in Quebec and the reading of a daily Canadian newspaper online.

My husband and his family have always impressed upon me that the quality of healthcare differs in Canada as to the province you live in. Never did I say that once you were being treated that your treatment was inferior but I did say that treatment is not always with the most current methodology, as speedy, or as all encompassing as to current testing and treatment as many major cities in the US.

I'm a cancer survivor and USC and opened a cancer-survivor chatroom in 1992 with a Canadian friend who was also a survivor. You would be horrified to hear some of the treatment stories we have heard from Canada, the US, Amsterdam, Germany, England and Italy. Our group evolved to include online pharmacists, oncologists, surgrical nurses and hospice nurses. As heartwretching as it is to lose those we have become personal friends with on this channel to the disease we all fought, there are more moments of compensating happiness and fulfillment knowing that being a friend who can listen and relate to the physical, emotional and isolating loneliness that is this disease.

I realize that pregnancy issues and US healthcare are not treated as fairly as illnesses. It wasn't back in 1968 either when I was pregnant for the first time. My then husband worked for the postal service and had excellent health insurance but even then they would not pay for infant care in the hospital unless there was a problem. So my doctor worked around it by having her placed in an isolete for 24 hours because of "low body temperature". The insurance paid 100% of the claim.

As I said in my original post, Jim and I are very lucky that we live near a large metropolitan area where good quality healthcare and doctors and nurses are a given for people with insurance and that we have such excellent insurance through our employers at a fraction of the cost of private insurance. I know one day in the not too distant future we will be retired and faced with the serious issues facing senior citizens and medicaid or is that medicare and private supplementary insurance.

Oh and FTR my daughter, age 31, has private health insurance. She pays $269 a month for this and has only a $100 deductible per annum. She started a new job yesterday and in 90 days will have employer issued healthcare at the cost of $25 a month and $10 a month for dental.
Something that is worth pointing out, especially to non-Brits, is that although the UK has the NHS; private healthcare is available and is provided by some employers. It is afordable to anyone on a reasonable income and still next to nobody uses it. According to the WHO less than 10% of the UK population relies on private healthcare.

That the vast majority of UK residents have access to private healthcare but don't gives the lie to the 'third world' allegations.

Every system, not just healthcare, has its horror stories (INS anybody?) - but factual research by reputable internation bodies using rational measurements always place state funded healtcare systems above those found in the US.

In addition the US is not making great strides forward, by its own statistics (Census Bureau) it is going backwards. Since Jan 2001 1.4 million fewer Americans have healthcare cover of any description and of those few entitled to public health assistance, most have found their cover further restricted.

American health is in crisis, a crisis that will only be exacerbated by an aging population and a steadfast ignorance.

There are good reasons why other developed nations are not following the American example - I truly hope that Americans recognise these, not least because I live here now.
Old Nov 8th 2002, 6:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rob S

American health is in crisis, a crisis that will only be exacerbated by an aging population and a steadfast ignorance.

There are good reasons why other developed nations are not following the American example - I truly hope that Americans recognise these, not least because I live here now.
Funny you use this argument when in yesterday's Ottawa Sun the very same reason was given for Canada's present and future healthcare problems.

We could debate this to the cow's come home, Rob. Personally, as I stated before, I am a US Citizen, and I am against national healthcare. I am a consistent US voter and would not vote for a candidate in favor of this issue just as I don't vote for right-to-lifers.

Rete who is choosing to bow out of this discussion.
Old Nov 9th 2002, 6:23 am
Margaret

I heard Oregon was taking a vote the other day on testing universal
healthcare for their state. Did anyone happen to hear the results on
that one?

We all have our horror stories but here is another to add to the rest.
My in-laws are on medicare. My father-in-law (a retired Idaho State
Trooper) was having problems with pain, not being able to eat, losing
weight and having shortage of breath. Three times the doctor he was
dealing with cancelled his appointments to which my mother-in-law then
realized it was because they were on medicare. A lot of the doctors
do not want to have to deal with those on Medicaid or Medicare.
Finally they were able to search out another doctor (shortage of
doctors here), he was hospitalized immediately and had to have
emergency surgery. It was touch and go on whether he was going to
live or not. He had lost so much weight and couldn't keep anything
down. It was awful to see him in hospital like that. This all
happened a week after my husband and I were married.

I told my husband it was a shame he just didn't go directly into
hospital, plunk himself down in emergency and refuse to move until he
was seen to. Apparently he did find himself in this situation a few
years back, I was told.

My mother-in-law said that those on medicare in this particular state
are treated horribly.

Old Nov 9th 2002, 1:25 pm
Joyce

Rete wrote in message news:...
    > Originally posted by Rob S
    > >
    > > American health is in crisis, a crisis that will only be exacerbated
    > > by an aging population and a steadfast ignorance.
    > >
    > > There are good reasons why other developed nations are not following
    > > the American example - I truly hope that Americans recognise these,
    > > not least because I live here now.
    >
    > Funny you use this argument when in yesterday's Ottawa Sun the very same
    > reason was given for Canada's present and future healthcare problems.
    >
    > We could debate this to the cow's come home, Rob. Personally, as I
    > stated before, I am a US Citizen, and I am against national healthcare.
    > I am a consistent US voter and would not vote for a candidate in favor
    > of this issue just as I don't vote for right-to-lifers.
    >
    > Rete who is choosing to bow out of this discussion.

I have previously stated that my husband has had and continues
to have excellent care in Ontario(for loss of a leg 33 years ago)
and CANCER a few years back.
To me, $269. a month is a high price for a single person and I was
wondering what that premium would be if she had a husband and
children, or if she does, how good that coverage would be for the
whole family. Also, by now having a job where she only needs to pay
$25. only proves to me that our government should control the cost
of insurance to ALL employed, self-employed and un-employed so
that everyone is covered.
I am, also, a US Citizen. I am for national healthcare.
I am, also, a consistent US voter and would definitely vote for a
candidate in favor of this issue.

Joyce

Old Nov 9th 2002, 1:45 pm
Steve And Lisa

I would vote yes as well after having to pay outrageous costs for our own
insurance the past few years only to have it cover very little.

Lisa

"Joyce" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Rete wrote in message
news:...
    > I am, also, a consistent US voter and would definitely vote for a
    > candidate in favor of this issue.
    > Joyce

Old Nov 9th 2002, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Rob S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Steve And Lisa
I would vote yes as well after having to pay outrageous costs for our own
insurance the past few years only to have it cover very little.

Lisa

"Joyce" wrote in message
    > Rete wrote in message
news:...
    > I am, also, a consistent US voter and would definitely vote for a
    > candidate in favor of this issue.
    > Joyce
Its a bit late now - next election is two years away - but perhaps some of you with votes should start lobbying your elected representatives...
Old Nov 9th 2002, 7:51 pm
Joyce

[email protected] (Margaret) wrote in message news:...
    > I heard Oregon was taking a vote the other day on testing universal
    > healthcare for their state. Did anyone happen to hear the results on
    > that one?

I believe I read that they did not vote in favor of it.
Here is one site I found about it.

Joyce

http://www.healthcareforalloregon.org/

Old Nov 9th 2002, 8:27 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
Jim was growing a muscle

SNIP

Rete
Um, this is relevant to this forum how exactly ?
Old Nov 10th 2002, 1:02 am
Mrs_blackross

"ukemigrant" wrote in message
    > Originally posted by Rete
    > > Jim was growing a muscle
    > >
    > > SNIP
    > >
    > > Rete
    > Um, this is relevant to this forum how exactly ?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

thus the thread title "Complete OT:..."

OT means OFF TOPIC

Old Nov 10th 2002, 3:02 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mrs_blackross
"ukemigrant" wrote in message
    > Originally posted by Rete
    > > Jim was growing a muscle
    > >
    > > SNIP
    > >
    > > Rete
    > Um, this is relevant to this forum how exactly ?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

thus the thread title "Complete OT:..."

OT means OFF TOPIC
Oh right - I thought it meant 'over the top'.... that would be OTT...