British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Communication support worker allowed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/communication-support-worker-allowed-924741/)

techygirl May 5th 2019 6:21 pm

Communication support worker allowed?

Hello,

It's quite a few years since I last posted here asking about the possibility of moving to USA despite history of visa misconduct. Since then, I've found a new job with the UK Civil Service, and work in Defence as an IT civil servant with a good performance record for more than 3 years now. I've grown professionally and am active in adhering to the code of conduct for civil servants, i.e. impartiality, honesty and so on. I passed all their high security checks, and presumably checked where I went. Yet they went ahead and made me a good job offer to my surprise and I readily accepted after a three-month wait for security clearance. I've earned a good character reputation at work too.

My employer have been very supportive with Reasonable Adjustments for me as a born profoundly deaf person who has been visually impaired since age 12 years supplying me with magnifying reader software, notetakers, speech to text reporters and sign language interpreters when I need them for training and events. However I work on my own intiative on my own without much supervision.

Now I'm conducting a search for a suitable petitioner who would be happy to sponsor me and petition me for an US immigrant visa. I'm very keen to make new contacts right now, but need to check if the US Embassy would allow me to bring a communication support worker, probably a BSL (British Sign Language) interpreter as I understand that they will not allow laptops with me. Or do they have a list of approved and trusted communication support workers for born profoundly deaf people? I'm curious so that I can make the right decisions on finding contacts who can support me towards legal US immigration. i'm 'well-behaved' and extra-careful about my immigration status, especially as I discovered through my consultation with US immigration attorney that I would have gotten a ten-year ban from USA, but now its end had passed in April 2014 so I'm free to return to USA, even with just an US tourist visa at first.

Thank you for all your support.

Techygirl

Noorah101 May 5th 2019 7:00 pm

Re: Communication support worker allowed?

Are you talking about bringing the interpreter along for job interviews? Would you be paying said interpreter? The problem with this is that the interpreter would not be able to do any work while on the VWP.

Are Britush and American sign language that much diffrent that an American interpret couldn't do it?

Rene

Rete May 5th 2019 8:15 pm

As a profoundly deaf adult (now retired), I have to ask why, since you are living in the UK and have National Healthcare why have you not taken advantage of getting the cochlear implant (either lateral or bi-lateral). If I were your age, I would jump at the chance to be able to hear more normally than I do with a BTE hearing aid.

If you were already in the US with the appropriate visa or a PR status, your disability is not suppose to be held against you. Reality is quite different. One attorney wanted me dismissed because I had a problem with hearing on the telephone. He didn't realize that I was given a copy of this request to HR. I went out and bought my own adapter for my phone so that I could increase the volume higher than the phone would allow so I could use it without issue. The company wanted to pay for it but I refused. I did not get dismissed, he got reprimanded, and worked for him for another 8 years before I retired.

Will a US employer be willing to sponsor you for a work visa with your hearing and sight disability. It is only my opinion but I don't believe you will find one that will offer you sponsorship. Your disabilities need medical intervention which increases their medical premiums if they pay a share of it. That large amount will be detrimental to your chances IMHO.

SanDiegogirl May 5th 2019 8:25 pm

Looking back at your earlier posts, you are, obviously, aware that you need an H1B work visa in order to work in the US (unless you can get a transfer to the US with your current employer)

Until such time as you find an employer willing to sponsor you for such a visa I would not worry about whether a communications support person can accompany you to the Embassy at the time when you finally need to attend the Embassy - that could be a long way down the road.

Pulaski May 5th 2019 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12679713)
Are you talking about bringing the interpreter along for job interviews? Would you be paying said interpreter? The problem with this is that the interpreter would not be able to do any work while on the VWP. ....

Read her question again, the clue is in the bit about bringing a lap top. She is talking about an interview at the US consulate.

.... Are Britush and American sign language that much diffrent that an American interpret couldn't do it? ....
Yes, they are totally different, for starters US sign language is one-handed, whereas British sign language uses two hands. Some of the gestures may be similar.

I think you asked this quite recently, within the past year or so, as I know I have responded to that point before from one of the regulars.

Noorah101 May 5th 2019 11:20 pm

Yes, that does sound familiar. I think back then I must have also said that I know American sign language and it is most definitely 2- handed.

Point taken re the interview.

Rene