British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Comments about your accent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/comments-about-your-accent-324076/)

seacreature Sep 4th 2005 7:31 pm

Comments about your accent

Does anyone else get annoid about continual remarks about your accent?

At first I thought it was quite charming to have people comment about my Lancashire accent, but to hear it 20 times a day for 8 months it starts to wear a little thin. I also find it extremely annoying to have to repeat myself 10 times to people, I've started talking like Fred Elliott! :D

heading downunder 2002 Sep 4th 2005 7:36 pm

Re: Comments about your accent

Originally Posted by seacreature

At first I thought it was quite charming to have people comment about my Lancashire accent, but to hear it 20 times a day for 8 months it starts to wear a little thin. I also find it extremely annoying to have to repeat myself 10 times to people, I've started talking like Fred Elliott! :D

I know exactly what you mean, when I was in Australia I got that I only spoke if I had too as it began to drive me mad. I have a broad Cumbrian accent so stood out a mile. :)

ramac Sep 4th 2005 11:41 pm

We have been here 6 years and I truly believe that our accents have been curbed slightly, not a lot, but slightly and certainly not by deliberate efforts. However, I was taken aback last week when in a store, the assistant stopped me and said, " I love your accent, where are you from". Having lived here for 6 years, I honestly for the first time was stumped and said " do you mean originally" I then went onto say Scotland.
My point, you kinda expect that sort of question to go away after a few years, but apparently not. :rolleyes:

psb182 Sep 4th 2005 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by ramac
We have been here 6 years and I truly believe that our accents have been curbed slightly, not a lot, but slightly and certainly not by deliberate efforts. However, I was taken aback last week when in a store, the assistant stopped me and said, " I love your accent, where are you from". Having lived here for 6 years, I honestly for the first time was stumped and said " do you mean originally" I then went onto say Scotland.
My point, you kinda expect that sort of question to go away after a few years, but apparently not. :rolleyes:

been 20 yrs here from Manchester and still every week many ask about my accent

ramac Sep 5th 2005 12:24 am

Originally Posted by psb182

Woh!!!

dunroving Sep 5th 2005 1:46 am

I left the UK in 1983 and get regular comments on my "British" accent (of course people at home comment on my "American" accent!).

Being a teacher, I have had to change certain words and pronunciations because I get tired of having to explain myself sometimes. It's not as if I'm speaking a foreign language! (Well, on reflection, maybe that's exactly how it is).

evoal2003 Sep 5th 2005 3:30 am

you seem to have 2 options..... :cool:

:D I SAY ........ :beer:

Sunshine Girl Sep 5th 2005 5:20 am

Originally Posted by evoal2003
you seem to have 2 options..... :cool:

:D I SAY ........ :beer:

and then I apologise for speaking the queens english.

MJC Sep 5th 2005 5:56 am

Well many a young lady has said to me that I have a "come to bed accent" (sort of soft geordie esque).

And then i wake up ;)

snowqueen Sep 5th 2005 8:33 am

I've lived in Ireland for 14 years, and still get asked if I'm on my holidays!! It can be annoying, but at least they're being friendly!! So, Seacreature, think of it that way - I thought you said Candians were unfriendly??;)

seacreature Sep 5th 2005 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by snowqueen
I thought you said Candians were unfriendly??;)

No, Canadians are usually very friendly, just not Torontonians.

But then most people who live in Toronto aren't exactly what you'd call
"Canadian".

Elvira Sep 5th 2005 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by psb182

I don't mind people telling me "I just luuuuuve your accent!".

What gets me is that packer at Safeway who, EVERY time I shop there goes on and on and on... about how he "just loves BBC America"... :eek:

Benny Hill is his favourite :rolleyes:

Numpty Sep 5th 2005 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
I left the UK in 1983 and get regular comments on my "British" accent (of course people at home comment on my "American" accent!).

Being a teacher, I have had to change certain words and pronunciations because I get tired of having to explain myself sometimes. It's not as if I'm speaking a foreign language! (Well, on reflection, maybe that's exactly how it is).

Two nations, separated by a common language.

CaliforniaBride Sep 5th 2005 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
I don't mind people telling me "I just luuuuuve your accent!".

To which I reply, "Thankyou but I'M not the one with the accent!"

Elvira Sep 5th 2005 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
To which I reply, "Thankyou but I'M not the one with the accent!"

Oh yes - and what sorts of responses to you get to that??? :D ;)