Wikiposts

College transfer&F1

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Cocolina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default College transfer&F1

Hello there ! I currently have F1 status and I went to a community college for one semester. Today I found out that I've been accepted to University. They will most likely give me a new I-20. My current F1 status is valid for "duration of studies" but is for the community college. What papers I need to file for the F1 for the new school? Thanks..hope someone will help me..

Lucy
Old Jun 17th 2004, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: College transfer&F1

just a new I-20 from the new school. You will need to finish the transfer from one school to another by filling out a transfer (release of records) form with your old school for your "transfer" to be complete. Please go to your INternational office at the old or new school for instructions.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Cocolina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by LucyMO
just a new I-20 from the new school. You will need to finish the transfer from one school to another by filling out a transfer (release of records) form with your old school for your "transfer" to be complete. Please go to your INternational office at the old or new school for instructions.

Thank you! But are you sure that's all? I don't need to send any papers to BCIS at all? My old school released an official transcript that I used when I applied for the new school (they transfered me credits from the old school)...on my papers now says F-1 status valid for the duration of studies(what does that mean???) At the old school I was supposed to graduate by June 2006 (that's what they wrote on I-20)..So from there I figured that the F-1 approved was good until June 2006...so, now if the new school requires a longer period of time, will I be O.K???

Thanks again for your help...hope you'll help me with this one...Btw, I'm Lucy, too

P.S. I will also go to the new school Monday.
Old Jun 17th 2004, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura aboutLucyMO has a spectacular aura about

Transcript has nothing to do with the legality of your stay.

This is how the process works at my school:

http://international.missouri.edu/is...s/transfer.pdf

you will go to the International Center of your old school and request that they release your record to the new school in order to complete the transfer and get a new I-20.

When you are accepted by another school, you will get a new I-20 with the new date of expiration on it, corresponding to the estimated time needed to get your degree from the new school. That will be the new expiration date of your F-1 status.

You do not need to contact USCIS yourself. Schools do it electronically through a new system called SEVIS. You should have a new SEVIS I-20 by now. The difference between an old type and a new type of I-20 forms is a barcode on a new type of I-20. So, ignore the first bullet on the instructions list.

the duration of your visa has nothing to do with the duration of your status. You can use your old valid visa with the new I-20. If your visa is expired, you will have to get a new one, if you travel overseas. If you do not travel overseas, you do not have to get a new visa.

Good luck! If you have any questions, ask.