Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Clueless about us immigration advice needed

Clueless about us immigration advice needed

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clueless about us immigration advice needed

Originally Posted by fozzy33
Bit like when I tell people I'm a nurse, they usually ask advise about an illness of some sort.
I used to have a natural food store and people always wanted to talk about their poop. They still do, given half a chance (I don't).
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:11 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I used to have a natural food store and people always wanted to talk about their poop. They still do, given half a chance (I don't).
Solution to your problem........... refer them to "Dr" McKeith...

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...revision&cd=1#

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Thats interesting Ian,

What is the tn visa?? and what time scale do you know what she would be looking at if she became a citizen.

Thanks in advance for the advice, its making me look clever, Ithink I will need to confess and give her this web address.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thats interesting Ian,

What is the tn visa?? and what time scale do you know what she would be looking at if she became a citizen.

Thanks in advance for the advice, its making me look clever, Ithink I will need to confess and give her this web address.
Years yet. Yes, have her sign up here and take her lessons for herself so you don't have to suffer!
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What is the tn visa?
TN is short for "Trade NAFTA". NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. NAFTA allows any American, Canadian, or Mexican citizen to live and work in any of the 3 countries as long as they have a bona fide job offer, are suitably qualified, and have the ~$50 application fee. It is so simple compared to other employment-based visas, it'll make your head spin.

and what time scale do you know what she would be looking at if she became a citizen.
If she became a CDN citizen on day one, she could be at the border on day two to get the visa, and on the job day three.

The trick, of course, is that she has to be in Canada long enough to become a CDN citizen... not sure how long that would take. Still, it's something!

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Thanks again Ian,

Have just emailed her the info, so she might have a change of heart.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just in reference to the Canadian citizenship question - once she's got her Canadian PR then the clock starts ticking, she has to be a PR for 3 years (or to be precise 1078 days, and any time out of Canada for holidays, trips back to the UK isn't counted) before she can apply for citizenship. It then takes about a year once you've applied to actually get it.

So, she's looking at approx 4 years from the point that she becomes a PR in Canada.

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
TN is short for "Trade NAFTA". NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. NAFTA allows any American, Canadian, or Mexican citizen to live and work in any of the 3 countries as long as they have a bona fide job offer, are suitably qualified, and have the ~$50 application fee. It is so simple compared to other employment-based visas, it'll make your head spin.

If she became a CDN citizen on day one, she could be at the border on day two to get the visa, and on the job day three.

The trick, of course, is that she has to be in Canada long enough to become a CDN citizen... not sure how long that would take. Still, it's something!

Ian

The pathway to a green card from a TN visa is often long and difficult. It does give a foothold in the U.S. - but only that.

It's not a great visa/status for the long term, eg spouse and children can't work and there are issues with "dual intent" if repeated renewals are made.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

diamondgem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I have been trying to get to Florida for two and half years now. I had to have a credentials evaluation as my original transcripts had been lost. The CGFNS did this and it took forever, had to get transcripts from Secondary school right through the last degree I did. I then sat my NCLEX and got a nursing licence, I have just had a job offer and have posted my ETA 9089 and my DS-230 forms and am waiting again. I believe it will take another 2 - 3 years yet so you are looking at 5 years or more from scratch. I know you posted in december but hope this is helpful for you.