Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Clueless about us immigration advice needed

Clueless about us immigration advice needed

Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future
Default Clueless about us immigration advice needed

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advise.

Could someone tell me if its possible to immigrate to USA, with no family sponsership or employer sponsership, or is it recommended to have an employer set up??

How long does the process take, and is it possible to do the paperwork yourself or do you need a advisor???
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Clueless about us immigration advice needed

The only one that obviously comes to mind is the Green Card Lottery, if you are eligible.

You can do it online, no fees or advisors needed.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fozzy33
Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advise.

Could someone tell me if its possible to immigrate to USA, with no family sponsership or employer sponsership, or is it recommended to have an employer set up??

How long does the process take, and is it possible to do the paperwork yourself or do you need a advisor???
I see you are a nurse, married with 2 children. Have you given up on moving to Canada...it's much easier to move there than here? Are you both British? If so unless your husband works for an international company that will transfer him to the US it looks like you have little chance coming to the US.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

fozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant futurefozzy33 has a brilliant future

Thanks,

I am asking for my pal, I have justed moved from uk to Canada, but she wants to go to USA.

She wouldnt get the lottery as she is British, she is a nurse also, so should be easy enough for her to get work, but she needs to sit the NCLEx and with retrogression dont know how long things would take for her, as it was quicker for Canada.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Suggest she finds a US fiancee.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks will pass that on

Or she could come to Canada too, she doesnt like the cold though.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

I am asking for my pal, I have justed moved from uk to Canada, but she wants to go to USA.

She wouldnt get the lottery as she is British, she is a nurse also, so should be easy enough for her to get work, but she needs to sit the NCLEx and with retrogression dont know how long things would take for her, as it was quicker for Canada.
I see. Makes no difference...if she's a Brit probably the only way is for her to marry a USC.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Thanks will pass that on

It was -22F here last weekend.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Boiler
It was -22F here last weekend.
Well below freezing here too.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

I beat you both then, its was -30 here last week and with the wind chill even colder.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

I beat you both then, its was -30 here last week and with the wind chill even colder.
I am sure we can beat you on wind, unfortunately.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advise guys,

People think because we have move to Canada we know the ins and outs of every country.

Bit like when I tell people I'm a nurse, they usually ask advise about an illness of some sort.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 1:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She wouldnt get the lottery as she is British...
She's eligible if she was born in NI.

Ian
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

memiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nicememiek is just really nice

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
She's eligible if she was born in NI.

Ian
But have to wait until next year October for the lottery to re-open again as its closed for the DV-2010
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

She could live in Windsor, Ontario... not too cold there at any time of the year. If she stays in Canada long enough to become a CDN citizen, the TN visa becomes available to her. The TN visa makes it much easier for a qualified Canadian to live/work in the US.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.