Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

clarification on the address change penalty

Wikiposts

clarification on the address change penalty

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Zenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the roughZenas is a jewel in the rough
Default clarification on the address change penalty

It states:

What Should I Include?
You do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there.

Also, the 10 day rule seems to apply just to aliens and not the actual petitioner:
willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of the change is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, the alien (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA § 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of an alien’s stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize the alien’s ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

Am I reading this wrong?

So if my husband is now in Arizona but will be moving 3 times in the next 12 months (temporary addresses), but has now permanently moved to Arizona from the initial filing in Nebraska, which would apply to us?

thanks