Claim donations??

Old Feb 2nd 2001, 10:59 pm
Sandy Gonzalez

Hello, My fiancee is living with his parents and he's studying to be a film director. He's
here illegally and therefore cannot work and has not worked since he's been here. He was
on scholarship at his junior college (graduated this past Dec.) and put all of his efforts
toward school. As a favor to some of our friends he videotaped and edited their weddings.
He didn't charge them because he mainly borrowed equipment from school and it gave him
something to work on along with experienc. But they felt guilty about not paying him and
would give him donations. Should he have had to claim this with IRS? I ask because one of
the forms we have to fill out asks if he's ever worked in the US, and if so did he file
taxes. Any help would be great.

Sandy

P.S. I know this is kind of an awkward situation.

Old Feb 3rd 2001, 1:11 am
K-1 Fiancé Visa

Sandy:

You may be able to visit the IRS website to see if the total amount of "contributions"
your fiancé received fall into a taxable category. If they do, the honest thing to do
would be to file it on a proper IRS tax form (but you would risk your fiancé's illegal
residency being known). If they don't, consider it a gift and don't worry about it.
Personally, I would consult an accountant or IRS advice website to be sure.

Try this for more info: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/ind_info/ruf.html

Good Luck. - Amy

[email protected]

> Hello, My fiancee is living with his parents and he's studying to be a film director.
> He's here illegally and therefore cannot work and has not worked since he's been here.
> He was on scholarship at his junior college (graduated this past Dec.) and put all of
> his efforts toward school. As a favor to some of our friends he videotaped and edited
> their weddings. He didn't charge them because he mainly borrowed equipment from school
> and it gave him something to work on along with experienc. But they felt guilty about
> not paying him and would give him donations. Should he have had to claim this with IRS?
> I ask because one of the forms we have to fill out asks if he's ever worked in the US,
> and if so did he file taxes. Any help would be great.
>
> Sandy
>
> P.S. I know this is kind of an awkward situation.
>
>
>