British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Civil Surgeon on Monday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/civil-surgeon-monday-693235/)

MandyNi Nov 12th 2010 2:08 am

Civil Surgeon on Monday

Well having read RandomGirl's account of her awful experience I'm hoping I don't get anything like what she had to deal with ............... but, I'm a bit confused.

The only thing I'm missing as far as I can tell is the Varicella vaccine. I see that Ian has mentioned it should be a given that I've had it as I most likely would have got it as a child in the UK, but, I was unable to get any childhood records so had everything again. The London doctor ticked it on my list as "Not Routinely Available" .... so what do you think? I'm assuming that I will need to have it. Also, is it just one vaccine?

I'm sailing close to the wind on my one year medical date and if I'm not going to make it I'd rather do the whole medical again on the one day :(

randomgirl Nov 12th 2010 3:30 am

Re: Civil Surgeon on Monday

Originally Posted by MandyNi (Post 8976899)
Well having read RandomGirl's account of her awful experience I'm hoping I don't get anything like what she had to deal with ............... but, I'm a bit confused.

The only thing I'm missing as far as I can tell is the Varicella vaccine. I see that Ian has mentioned it should be a given that I've had it as I most likely would have got it as a child in the UK, but, I was unable to get any childhood records so had everything again. The London doctor ticked it on my list as "Not Routinely Available" .... so what do you think? I'm assuming that I will need to have it. Also, is it just one vaccine?

I'm sailing close to the wind on my one year medical date and if I'm not going to make it I'd rather do the whole medical again on the one day :(

Hi Mandy,

I didn't have any official record of having had chicken pox but I definitely did have it when I was 3 or 4 years old, and I told them so at my London medical - they put a "VH" in the box for varicella - meaning varicella history. The varicella vaccine is not available in the UK as far as I know (not sure why) and I'm not sure if they give it to adults over here or not. If you've never had chicken pox then they might give you it. I don't know if it's one vaccine or a course of them, sorry!

Hope everything goes well on Monday and that you have a much better experience than I did! :fingerscrossed:

RG

meauxna Nov 12th 2010 6:04 pm

The varicella vaccine is not and has not been available in the UK; it is commonly waived for IV applicants. The problem is, you as a K-1 are now an AOS applicant. If you didn't get a blanket waiver for it on your London medical, you won't be able to get the I-693 signed off without getting it (* think*!).

Wolfy Nov 14th 2010 1:49 am

Originally Posted by randomgirl (Post 8976998)
Hi Mandy,

The varicella vaccine is not available in the UK as far as I know (not sure why)

RG

Just quickly jumping in here, it is available in the UK, but if your practice has no vacine it must be ordered and you will have to pay for it. I know this as I have to go for my remaining shots and or boosters next week and the practice nurse said I could have it if I wanted it....

The practice nurse got her bible of vacines out and told me the history of it and said that we have no need for it in the UKHope this helps

Ray Nov 14th 2010 1:04 pm

I can see some suffering ahead

MandyNi Nov 14th 2010 5:51 pm

Thanks folks, well apart from Ray :p

What sort of suffering did you envisage by the way!